OK, Stanford Medical wants me to speak and show the SLP's how to make Products Laryngectomees need

Options
wmc
wmc Member Posts: 1,804

Ok I went to Stanford Medical yesterday 430 miles round trip to have my TEP Prosthesis changed [so I can talk]. This one lasted five months and might have gone just a little longer, and they have been only lasting two months. So once again it is time to certify and recertify the SLP's who work with TEP's. They have me volunteer to have mine changed and all the "New" SLP get to learn how to check them and plug and measure the size or depth. I do this because I get to check out all the new stuff the manufacturers have.

This year it is going to be a little different. They will have Dr Bunting from Mass eye and ear, Boston; Margaret Coffey PhD,CCC-SLP, from England;Dr Singer MD CPMC, San Francisco; and Doctors and SLP's from Chicago, PhD from Oregon; and several more..... Are you Ready? ......And ME.

Yes, they have asked me to speak and show the devices I made so we can whistle, use a Baby nipple with a whistle & a tube to smell and assist blowing your nose. The parts needed to have a Pulmonary function test done, and how to blow up the balloon. My SLP is in charge with setting this up for Stanford University Department of Otolaryngology.
Also the latest update on my videos for Larys is; They have now been seen in 45 countries.  It was a good day.

Bill

Comments

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Way to Go Bill!

You are a certified celebrity! and your CSN H&N family is real proud!

Barbara

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Ditto Barbara! How wonderful

Ditto Barbara! How wonderful for you and all the others that can learn from your knowledge and experiences!

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Great job, Bill! You will

Great job, Bill! You will help a lot of people through your positive attitude and determination. 

• wmc
    Options
    Thank you all

It just seems funny in a way. There will be MD, PhD, MA CCC-SLP-BCS-S. The lowest educated person I will be talking with and showing how to make these things to help, has a Masters Degree, and I had 1.5 years at a local college. It will be fun and the SLP's will be able to help more of us knowing this.

Thank you

Bill

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Good Job

That sound great Bill, so glad you are in the forefront and making life easier for others who will follow in years to come. There is nothing better than to be able to help someone with the same problems we have and showing them that having cancer is not the end of the line. Keep up the great work my friend

Tim    

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Good Job

That sound great Bill, so glad you are in the forefront and making life easier for others who will follow in years to come. There is nothing better than to be able to help someone with the same problems we have and showing them that having cancer is not the end of the line. Keep up the great work my friend

Tim    

Bill

You should be so proud of your contribution. God bless you!

• josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Great work !

Hi Bill,

Congratulations and many thanks for all you contribute to improving so many lives. josh r. 

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    WOW

WOW Bill can I shake your hand, what an achievement, you just keep showing those medics what they can learn from you, well done.

• wmc
    Options
    Thank you all

Thank you Tim, Candi, Josh, And Jackie. I was surprised when she asked me to come on the Friday as that is there teaching classes to the SLP. Ann Said if I can only do one day please do Friday, Satuary is where all the SLP get to look and see the stoma [Hole in my neck] and learn to size it and how to put in the Prosthesis. They are so scared they will hury you some almost shake, but the do very good. They do not get to put in in as a regular SLP will do that as it is only done once due to mild bleading and the cost $250 just for the prosthesis. 

I was told so many things I won't be able to do as a neck breather. No smell or very little if conditions are just right. You can't whistle, blow your nose, Blow out several candles on a cake, don't go swimming, [I don't but some do] just so many don'ts. The big one is they can not do a pulmonary lung function test on a neck breather, so you can't be tested for COPD.

Well if I can divert air and talk, why can't I whistle, and blow my nose. Whistle took two months and when I show her she said she had never seen anyone do that. Come on, if I can so can others. That is what started it all. The videos for Larys and how to make a emergency whistle you put to your stoma and you can whistle, how to make a divice to blow your nose, how to have a lung function test was the bigest one as many have now had the test that were told it can not be done. You just have to think outside the box.  So with this I can show all the SLP's and they can teach or at least direct them to the videos on how to do these things. My Doctor is the head of the department surgeon, oncology and use the videos a lot i'm told to help the new ones geting a Laryngectomy see that there life is not so bad. I'm just glad I was given a second chance on life, and now know what I need to do with it. Pay it foward.

Bill