when do you take votrient?

foxhd
foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

After reading updates from Matt and Bruce, I thought I'd raise this issue again. When do you (votrient takers), take your votrient? I take mine at night before bed. Supposedly so I sleep through the side effects. But I am no longer sure. I still have morning diarrhea although not as intense as it had been. I also live with a chronic upset belly. Fatigue wise, I can be very active. Yard work, bike riding and golf are no problem. But if I don't have a morning plan, it is easy to just sit, read, watch tv, or internet surf all day. Accomplishing nothing. Then again I'm retired and getting old. So what time do y'all take your votrient and how does it affect your day? Thanks.

Comments

• rhominator
    rhominator Member Posts: 233 Member

As you know, I take mine in the morning. Initially I took it in the evening. I can't recall why I swtiched to the AM, possibly because I wasn't sleeping well.  Anyway, the AM routine works for me [empty stomach]:  I'm usually up and working around 0400 and the side effects generally hit me in the afternoon.

[funny you mentioned it] After reading about taking it before bed, I thought I might try that routine again.

• foxhd

As you know, I take mine in the morning. Initially I took it in the evening. I can't recall why I swtiched to the AM, possibly because I wasn't sleeping well.  Anyway, the AM routine works for me [empty stomach]:  I'm usually up and working around 0400 and the side effects generally hit me in the afternoon.

[funny you mentioned it] After reading about taking it before bed, I thought I might try that routine again.

sometimes

I will take it in the afternoon if supper will be later than 6 pm. I take it usually 8:30-9 pm.

Rhom, when you have time, look up GSRon, or Gold Star Ron. He was a bike builder and very involved with racing on the Isle of Man. Impressive. We lost him about a year ago. He was one of the most supportive members we have ever had. Several bikers have been or are members here. I've been riding for 45 years. Last year I stopped riding as my spinal tumors grew and I lost use of my arms. Fortunately my recovery allowed me to return to riding, but my general strength is not back to normal and my Harley is too big to muscle around easily. Riding is easy. We'll see what next year brings.

• Richgels1
    Richgels1 Member Posts: 26 Member
    Afternoon

Hi Fox,

I tried a few different things when I first starting taking it 9 months ago. I have been taking mine (800mg) at about 3-4pm each day. This way I can fit-in to the requirement of 2 hours after a meal and 1 hour before a meal. I usually have to hit the rest room after dinner and before bed and have no problem sleeping with this schedule. I have dealt with nausia also but it is usually that hour after I take my pills that is the worst. Once I begin to put some dinner in my stomach the nausia usually goes away. One thing that has helped me considerably with the loose BMs is imodium pills. Without them the movements can be like water which you are probably aware of. I take one at about 11am and another one with my pills around 3-4 pm. This has really reduced the urgency to go and it feels more like a normal BM if you know what I mean. If the imodium stops me from going one day, I will wait to take it again until after I have gone the next day. This doesn't happen very often though. My doctor didn't originally suggest this but is ok with me taking them. I get them off of Amazon in 2-200 count bottles that are pretty cheap (called Kirklands Anti-Diarrheal) about 9 bucks for the 400 pills. They seem to help reduce the ocassional bloated feeling also. If I am doing something outside I will sometimes eat later and take my pills a little later in the day but if I wait to take them after dinner it will affect my sleep. I will have to get up during the night to go. With this pattern I am able to get up and feel pretty good in the morning, not have to worry about being in the bathroom so much during the day. Next week is my last week of work (SSD) so who knows, i might change things up but this seems to be working for me now. You might find this schedule gives you less upset belly too since you will have some food in your belly when you go to bed. Seems strange but I have noticed that I have less upset stomach if I force myself to eat something when i feel nausia. I haven't noticed that the weekness side affect is any different after I take my pills. It seems to be pretty even throughout the day and I just deal with it. Like you I try to stay pretty active. My favorite thing is fishing and I can sure still do that Laughing. Take care man, hope you continue to do well.

Scott

• MattInVa
    MattInVa Member Posts: 50

As I posted up earlier I am

As I posted up earlier I am an AM man, my side effects are usually gone before lunch 10-12. I feel nearly normal throughout the afternoon and evening. My worry was at night losing the quality of my sleep. I am a solid 8 hr sleeper and feel that is pat of the rease due to my mild side effects.

I have also considered shifting over to a PM schedule, but it would take a week or so shifting an hour or two each day.

Matt

• mrou50
    mrou50 Member Posts: 389 Member
    Fox

I take mine at night before I go to bed, I take it with a couple Immodium and a special prescription pill that my doctor gave me to help me sleep through the night and avoid the pain and nausea of the chemo. It has worked great although I have also been dropped down to 400 mgs a night 600, and 800 were way to hard on my body and I could not perform my job very well.  The Pharmacist who handles my Votrient said he preffered I be back on 600 mgs, because they don't feel Votrient is as effective at 400 but my ONC said for now we will keep the dosage down so I can function.

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Hi Foxy!  My mom takes her at

Hi Foxy!  My mom takes her at night.  I don't remember if you recall, but Trevor did lots of research on it and found that taking it at night can make the difference between the drug working and not working for some.  When people were getting minimal results, they switched to taking it two hours after eating dinner and then waiting an hour to eat after taking it. Their tumors then started to shrink more.  The stomach issues, unfortunately, most patients have.  No matter what time of day they take it.  That is gasporasis..(spelling).  The runs are also common, although now my mom stopped getting it so frequently and she has been on for three years now. But she always has the stomach pain, especially right after she eats. You can take immodium for the runs.  Some people were taking it at night before going to bed, even if they didn't have the runs, just to keep it at bay.  You should do the research on the link that Trevor had up.  Votrient/pazopanib side affects. It would be good to read it and see if any of the old information posted, helps you out! Glad you are doing ok.  

I was glad to see that Alexandra posted!! She is in pretty awful shape though. Praying she gets in a trial soon! Take care and keep in touch!

Angela

• foxhd
    angec said:

Hi Foxy!  My mom takes her at

Hi Foxy!  My mom takes her at night.  I don't remember if you recall, but Trevor did lots of research on it and found that taking it at night can make the difference between the drug working and not working for some.  When people were getting minimal results, they switched to taking it two hours after eating dinner and then waiting an hour to eat after taking it. Their tumors then started to shrink more.  The stomach issues, unfortunately, most patients have.  No matter what time of day they take it.  That is gasporasis..(spelling).  The runs are also common, although now my mom stopped getting it so frequently and she has been on for three years now. But she always has the stomach pain, especially right after she eats. You can take immodium for the runs.  Some people were taking it at night before going to bed, even if they didn't have the runs, just to keep it at bay.  You should do the research on the link that Trevor had up.  Votrient/pazopanib side affects. It would be good to read it and see if any of the old information posted, helps you out! Glad you are doing ok.  

I was glad to see that Alexandra posted!! She is in pretty awful shape though. Praying she gets in a trial soon! Take care and keep in touch!

Angela

Thanks all

In the spring when I was at my worst, I took it in the morning. All 800mg. I thought I was going to die for sure. Dose was cut to 400 and I started taking it at night. I have since. I guess I am tolerating it as well as anyone. Usually morning diarrhea. 2-4x is typical. Then sometimes after my evening meal I go once or twice. I can deal with that. The all day nausea or upset stomach is what keeps me from eating well and gaining weight. I have an appt. with a palliative care physician in a couple weeks. The plan is to certify me and get my license for marijuana possession and use. I may as well make it legal. Long live the MUNCHIES!

• angec
    foxhd said:

Thanks all

In the spring when I was at my worst, I took it in the morning. All 800mg. I thought I was going to die for sure. Dose was cut to 400 and I started taking it at night. I have since. I guess I am tolerating it as well as anyone. Usually morning diarrhea. 2-4x is typical. Then sometimes after my evening meal I go once or twice. I can deal with that. The all day nausea or upset stomach is what keeps me from eating well and gaining weight. I have an appt. with a palliative care physician in a couple weeks. The plan is to certify me and get my license for marijuana possession and use. I may as well make it legal. Long live the MUNCHIES!

Fox, keep in mind that my mom

Fox, keep in mind that my mom is on 200 mgs and has been for three years. She is 83 now.  She had neasea with the 400 mgs, but not the 200 mgs.  There are people who stay on the 200 mgs and it does the same job.  Hope you feel better! Speaking of Medical weed.. ha, are you getting the cannabis oil or the tablets that help you eat? My mom was on 5 mg and didn't eat, then went to the 10mgs and slept all day.   She lost 30 pounds since she started on Votrient.  It hurts each time she eats a meal so she keeps it light.  Eating tiny meals and soup. Can't gain weight with those low calories.  Enjoy the muchies!  I was looking into the cannabis oils....

• foxhd
    angec said:

Fox, keep in mind that my mom

Fox, keep in mind that my mom is on 200 mgs and has been for three years. She is 83 now.  She had neasea with the 400 mgs, but not the 200 mgs.  There are people who stay on the 200 mgs and it does the same job.  Hope you feel better! Speaking of Medical weed.. ha, are you getting the cannabis oil or the tablets that help you eat? My mom was on 5 mg and didn't eat, then went to the 10mgs and slept all day.   She lost 30 pounds since she started on Votrient.  It hurts each time she eats a meal so she keeps it light.  Eating tiny meals and soup. Can't gain weight with those low calories.  Enjoy the muchies!  I was looking into the cannabis oils....

weight loss

Ange, I still weigh under 150. Normal weight is about 190ish. This afternoon my stomach was upset. Was vomiting before supper. After a couple tokes, we had steaks on the grill. If I didn't do that, I would not be able to eat. I'm not familiar with the other versions of the stuff.

• angec
    foxhd said:

weight loss

Ange, I still weigh under 150. Normal weight is about 190ish. This afternoon my stomach was upset. Was vomiting before supper. After a couple tokes, we had steaks on the grill. If I didn't do that, I would not be able to eat. I'm not familiar with the other versions of the stuff.

Fox, sorry to hear it makes

Fox, sorry to hear it makes you so sick!  I am glad you found the solution though! Isn't it amazing! People had said for years (Montel Williams) that it has helped them with their illness, but it fell on deaf ears.  I suffer with fibromyalgia very serverely after a car accident in '94.  Recently i have been using the Hemp Powder in my juice.  It helps the body relax and helps my muscles. I don't smoke at all, but thinking of trying the oils.  I hope you continue to get great success! I know there is a cure out there, they just have to stick to their guns when they find it!  

On a sidepoint, did you see the new info on Nagalase? http://www.naturalnews.com/050582_nagalase_GcMAF_cancer_industry_profits.html

I woldn't be surprised if this is true!  

Feel better! ELF!

Ange

PS, Fox, where has Alice been? Are her and John ok?

• foxhd
    angec said:

Fox, sorry to hear it makes

Fox, sorry to hear it makes you so sick!  I am glad you found the solution though! Isn't it amazing! People had said for years (Montel Williams) that it has helped them with their illness, but it fell on deaf ears.  I suffer with fibromyalgia very serverely after a car accident in '94.  Recently i have been using the Hemp Powder in my juice.  It helps the body relax and helps my muscles. I don't smoke at all, but thinking of trying the oils.  I hope you continue to get great success! I know there is a cure out there, they just have to stick to their guns when they find it!  

On a sidepoint, did you see the new info on Nagalase? http://www.naturalnews.com/050582_nagalase_GcMAF_cancer_industry_profits.html

I woldn't be surprised if this is true!  

Feel better! ELF!

Ange

PS, Fox, where has Alice been? Are her and John ok?

Nagalase

Ange this is a new one on me. But I did just read up on it. Interesting. A bio-marker they can measure.

The last I talked to Alice she was enjoying retirement and John was still responding to his nivo and something else combo. They have returned to good living at this time.

• angec
    foxhd said:

Nagalase

Ange this is a new one on me. But I did just read up on it. Interesting. A bio-marker they can measure.

The last I talked to Alice she was enjoying retirement and John was still responding to his nivo and something else combo. They have returned to good living at this time.

John was on the combo of

John was on the combo of Niovlumab and Votrient. Doing well with that!  Glad to hear they are having fun!  Good for them!  

• Time2luv
    Time2luv Member Posts: 49
    I take mine in morning. 400

I take mine in morning. 400 mg. First take thyroid med wait half hour then votrient. Tummy is usually upset most of morning with occasionally vomiting. No diarrhea but some urgency sometimes. Usually when shopping! White hair. Tired all the time. Weak muscles. Walked on treadmill today 10 minutes at a slow 2 mph. I then slept for 2 hours! Started votrient  in May. Last scan showed shrinkage in nodules with some no change and no new ones. Another scan in January. Very pleased that side effects are so minimal. 

• I also take mine at night.

I also take mine at night.  Right before I go to bed.

• Mighty Maggie
    Mighty Maggie Member Posts: 1
    Trying mine at night

After months of no energy and feeling like I just wanted to sleep all the time, I decided to try

taking the Votrient before bed. Its only been a week but I have so much more energy

and Im starting to feel like my old self! The diarrea is new for me since changing when I take it. Glad to see

its common- I was starting to think I was coming down with something!