Arimidex causing shoulder pain?

Options
LindenLea
LindenLea Member Posts: 22

I've been on Arimidex for only about four months. I have constant hot flashes, which seem to be abating somewhat. A little over a week ago, I started having a dull ache under my right shoulder blade. (My lumpectomy was on the left side back in March 2015.) Last night it got really bad. It felt worse when I lay on my left side-- couldn't find a way to position my right arm that wasn't excruciating. Felt better when I lay on the painful side. 

Of course, this is a holiday weekend (yesterday was Thanksgiving)...I will call the onc when the workday begins, but don't have much hope of finding her in. I've been taking ibuprofen, but don't want to overdo that, as I had a dental implant last week, and I had already been taking big doses. Just got out the heating pad to see if that helps. 

Has anyone had shoulder pain on one side like this? Needless to say, I'm alarmed and worried, and I'm hoping it's a side effect of the drug. The pain is bothersome, but I'm more worried about what the pain means

Comments

• LindenLea
    Options
    Just called the onc. Office

Just called the onc. Office closed til Monday (today is Friday).  Don't think this is a medical emergency. 

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Shoulder blade pain

You are good to call onco office.  Pain may not be related, however.  I know this is way in another direction, but I had pain as you describe - surprised it was Gallbladder !!!!!!   Just keep a watch.  Mine felt as though it was sharp and took my breath away.  May not be the same for you, but thought I would mention it.

Sometimes we think everything is treatment related and forget that the rest of our body is moving on - oblivious to the tiny bit of cancer that encompasses out every step.

hope you feel better soon.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I'm on tamoxifen so I don't

I'm on tamoxifen so I don't know about Arimidex. Just wanted to say how awful it is when this happens. I had a terrible pain for about two weeks on my rib cage on the side of my cancer, and I really thought it was a recurrence. The only thing you can do is get it checked out and be patient till it goes away. Mine turned out to be nothing. Since then, Ihave really tried not to live in fear. I just figure that everyone gets aches and pains from time to time even if they have never had cancer. I hope you can see the doctor soon and get to the bottom of this...keep us posted, Anna

• LindenLea
    Options
    button2 said:

I'm on tamoxifen so I don't

I'm on tamoxifen so I don't know about Arimidex. Just wanted to say how awful it is when this happens. I had a terrible pain for about two weeks on my rib cage on the side of my cancer, and I really thought it was a recurrence. The only thing you can do is get it checked out and be patient till it goes away. Mine turned out to be nothing. Since then, Ihave really tried not to live in fear. I just figure that everyone gets aches and pains from time to time even if they have never had cancer. I hope you can see the doctor soon and get to the bottom of this...keep us posted, Anna

Thanks, y'all. I went to the

Thanks, y'all. I went to the Doc in the Box and she gave me a prescription for Flexeril and said to take 600 mg of ibuprofen. I will call the onc on Monday when they open. It's so hard to not panic and worrk.

Hugs,

LL

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Arimidex

I have been on Arimidex 12 yrs.  It is known to cause joint pain and stuff like that. I had that for about 2 yrs as it slowly abated.  The main thing with arimidex is to protect your bones as Arimidex is bad for bones but I wouldn't stop taking it for anything.  Hope that's all it is.

• LouisaP
    LouisaP Member Posts: 62
    Options
    tufi000 said:

Arimidex

I have been on Arimidex 12 yrs.  It is known to cause joint pain and stuff like that. I had that for about 2 yrs as it slowly abated.  The main thing with arimidex is to protect your bones as Arimidex is bad for bones but I wouldn't stop taking it for anything.  Hope that's all it is.

I was on Arimidex for about 2

I was on Arimidex for about 2 months & I had increasing hand & finger pain. I thought it was because my new cell phone was bigger & I was stretching my hand etc. Then it started on other hand & my finger joints swelled & I could hardly bend my hands. The hand pain was serious. I take Oxycontin & Oxycocone for another reason & it my hands were still in constant pain. I called onc because i thought it was the Arimidex. He said to stop it. It's been a few weeks & the hand pain is 80% better. So when I go see him next week I'll be changing meds.

• ShakerMom
    ShakerMom Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I

I've had the same problem. I had two different pains, one in my left shoulder (BC was right side) and one below my shoulder blade on the rt side. it turns out that I've developed arthritis in my left shoulder - probably a side effect of arimidex. The rt side pain turned out to be shingles! Worst pain ever...

but out I would check with my onc if I were you.

• LindenLea
    Options
    ShakerMom said:

I've had the same problem. I

I've had the same problem. I had two different pains, one in my left shoulder (BC was right side) and one below my shoulder blade on the rt side. it turns out that I've developed arthritis in my left shoulder - probably a side effect of arimidex. The rt side pain turned out to be shingles! Worst pain ever...

but out I would check with my onc if I were you.

Dang! Shingles-- ugh, I had

Dang! Shingles-- ugh, I had them once, and once was enough. I will call the onc tomorrow. This stuff always pops up on a holiday weekend.