shortness of breath

kbn15
kbn15 Member Posts: 3

My mom had right middle lobectomy on 8/11. It was small with no node involvement, so good news on that front.  She is in mid 80s and was very active before surgery (push mowed her front yard week before surgery).  She does not report any pain issues, but gets very short of breath with activity.  She is having trouble being more sedentary, and when she walks up any stairs she is out of breath.  If anything the shortness of breath seems to be more noticable in the last couple of weeks as she has tried to do a little more.  In the past, she has always bounced back quicker than normal, but she is getting discouraged and nervous that she is not getting back to normal.  Trying to coach her to be patient, it will get better, give it time, etc but I am wondering if this is typical?  Any advice/encouragement would be appreciated.

Comments

• kbn15
    little more info - she did

little more info - she did have follow up appts last week with drs.  XRay showed some fluid on the left side of chest and she was having some swelling in her feet.  They gave her diuretic which has reduced the swelling in feet some.  And gave her some inhalers, but the shortness of breath is not improved, if anything it is more noticable.

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Your mother

Have you had your mother seen by a cardiologist?  Shortness of breathe could be a sign of congestive heart failure.  My mother's doctor kept putting it off to something else until she got so out of breathe she was hospitalized.  Then they discovered she had congestive heart failure along with blocked arteries.  She underwent by-pass and they wanted to replace her valve but she was on the table too long.  All the surgery did was give her another two years which were not good years at all.  She was once a very active woman, walked everywhere, never drove a car, didn't like buses and wouldn't pay for a cab.  She was 82 when she underwent by-pass.  Up until the last 3 years of her life she still worked one day a week at her job that she retired from.

This is just a suggestion about seeing a cardiologist.  My husband died from cancer that started at his larynx and then spread to the cervical of his esophagus and then returned and spread to his right lung.  He did have shortness of breathe but never as bad as your mother's until the end.

Wishing you peace and comfort

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    kbn15 said:

little more info - she did

little more info - she did have follow up appts last week with drs.  XRay showed some fluid on the left side of chest and she was having some swelling in her feet.  They gave her diuretic which has reduced the swelling in feet some.  And gave her some inhalers, but the shortness of breath is not improved, if anything it is more noticable.

I like the suggestion to see

I like the suggestion to see a cardiologist and would like to add that she should also see a pulmonologist.  She should request a new pulmonary function test and see if she is qualified for pulmonary rehab.  It will help strengthen the muscles that aid in breathing

• kbn15
    dennycee said:

I like the suggestion to see

I like the suggestion to see a cardiologist and would like to add that she should also see a pulmonologist.  She should request a new pulmonary function test and see if she is qualified for pulmonary rehab.  It will help strengthen the muscles that aid in breathing

she has seen pulmonologist

she has seen pulmonologist and cardiologist with followups this week.  Diuretic increased and swelling in feet is about gone.  Still experiencing shortness of breath (but seems a little better) and still low energy and fatigue.  They did an echocardiogram and it showed a little bit of fluid around heart, but they did not talk like it was big problem.  Guess we will find out a little more at followups.  Will ask about the pulmonary rehab option...thanks for the info

• Chenninger
    Chenninger Member Posts: 1
    Shortness of breathe

hello!   I was just recently diagnosed w stage 4 advanced lung w mets.     All of this is extremely new to me but I do have shortness of breathe n have found comfort w breathing exercises.     Hope this helps ur mother.   Praying for all