Acceptable Margin Limits

cinnamonsmile
cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
edited September 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

I was looking over my pathology reports and finally after four years noticed my margin amounts after my BMX with no reconstruction.

I don't have an onocologist and my breast surgeon moved away somewhere years ago.

What do you all know what is an acceptable limit for margins after a BMX?

I am just curious since I have no one to ask.

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Next appointment

Why not ask at your next mammogram?

• cinnamonsmile
    button2 said:

Next appointment

Why not ask at your next mammogram?

I had a bilateral mastectomy

I had a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction with DCIS so I don't get mammograms or any follow ups. I didn't realize that I needed to add that I didn't have reconstruction because I only stated I had a BMX.

My follow ups were with my breast surgeon for post surgical check ups and one appointment for an opinion about Tamoxifen (which was determined I don't need because I had a BMX with no reconstruction for DCIS). Neither mentioned margins and I never thought to ask back then becuase I didn't know about them.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

I had a bilateral mastectomy

I had a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction with DCIS so I don't get mammograms or any follow ups. I didn't realize that I needed to add that I didn't have reconstruction because I only stated I had a BMX.

My follow ups were with my breast surgeon for post surgical check ups and one appointment for an opinion about Tamoxifen (which was determined I don't need because I had a BMX with no reconstruction for DCIS). Neither mentioned margins and I never thought to ask back then becuase I didn't know about them.

Pathology Report

Could you not just call the Pathologist Office or your Surgeon's Office and ask this question?   I have found it is very DEPRESSING to look at my Pathology Reports or the Surgeon's Report etc........My Surgeon kept me on the table during my Lumpectomy while they checked the margins and then he cut more to be 'sure' of clean margins.  But for me it didn't matter since it has already spread to my Lymphatic System so I did have to do the chemo and radiation etc etc etc .........  Let us know what they tell you....Prayers for Swift Answers...and hope they tell something to ease your mind.  Glo

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I will follow up on this..

I will follow up on this.. never heard of an margine=never saw  or heard of any such info.

Denise

• cinnamonsmile
    GlowMore said:

Pathology Report

Could you not just call the Pathologist Office or your Surgeon's Office and ask this question?   I have found it is very DEPRESSING to look at my Pathology Reports or the Surgeon's Report etc........My Surgeon kept me on the table during my Lumpectomy while they checked the margins and then he cut more to be 'sure' of clean margins.  But for me it didn't matter since it has already spread to my Lymphatic System so I did have to do the chemo and radiation etc etc etc .........  Let us know what they tell you....Prayers for Swift Answers...and hope they tell something to ease your mind.  Glo

I am not really worried about

I am not really worried about because I am sure if the margins were not acceptable, my surgeon would have told me because she was conservative when it came to treatments...better to be safe than sorry was her motto.

I posted on breastcancer.org and got some answers from others and a link to a web article at breastcancer.org so all is good. I was just curious.