DCIS - Non Invasive

2»

Comments

• sherik
    sherik Member Posts: 26
    Hi Tracy.
    I have a similar

Hi Tracy.
    I have a similar dx - DCIS in the right breast. The plan is for a unilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction via tissue expanders. My surgery is scheduled for the 24th. I love my breast surgeon, but my plastic surgeon not so much. His bedside manner is crap. Hoping all goes well and the final path report comes back with nothing else. Hoping for no additional treatments. You posted this a while ago - wondering how things are going now for you?
    sheri
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    I have DCIS in the left
    I have DCIS in the left breast. I have a strong family history - my mom and grandmother both had it. I'm currently being tested for the gene. If I have the gene, I'm probably going to opt for a bi-lateral mast. with reconstruction because my chances of it coming back are pretty high. And my onocologist told me that even with a bi-lateral she wants me to take Tamoxefen, but it is because of my history.

So ... it depends. You might want to consider the gene test. It might put your mind at ease.
  • Datsy
    Datsy Member Posts: 31
    DCIS

I was diagnosed on April 15, 2015 with DCIS and had a double mastectomy on May 5, 2015.  I didn't have to take any treatment.  It does scare me that I didn't need anything.  How are you?

• ballerina06
    ballerina06 Member Posts: 57
    I feel you Tracy! I had dcis

I feel you Tracy! I had dcis in both breast. Twice in the right and once in the left dbl mastectomy with reconstruction. No more treatment no meds. Praise God!!! It's a breath of fresh air. Inhale it, suck it up and share it! Congrats to you!

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

I feel you Tracy! I had dcis in both breast. Twice in the right and once in the left dbl mastectomy with reconstruction. No more treatment no meds. Praise God!!! It's a breath of fresh air. Inhale it, suck it up and share it! Congrats to you!

Old Posts*

Datsy and ballerina......glad you are here with us and posting....we send you both encouragement to continue sharing.   Sometimes when we are new to the Board we don't notice the dates at the top right hand .....this particular post was started years ago so you may not get any answers ....since the last post was 2009.    Hugs,  Glo

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    GlowMore said:

Old Posts*

Datsy and ballerina......glad you are here with us and posting....we send you both encouragement to continue sharing.   Sometimes when we are new to the Board we don't notice the dates at the top right hand .....this particular post was started years ago so you may not get any answers ....since the last post was 2009.    Hugs,  Glo

Glo

You are not only funny but very thoughtful to have posted an explanation to those new to the board.  When I see an old post, there always seems to be some names and faces of those who lost their battle.  This is the sad part of reality.  Linda

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    lintx said:

Glo

You are not only funny but very thoughtful to have posted an explanation to those new to the board.  When I see an old post, there always seems to be some names and faces of those who lost their battle.  This is the sad part of reality.  Linda

Hey Linda..

Thank you for your kind words... I know I've done the posting to old posts a lot myself....but yes we do see that they are no longer here....I like to think that they mostly just got better and went on with their lives...but of course we also do know of those who have died.  We will all die one day of course....but hopefully...NOT TODAY...  I have found Peace about Death because I honestly believe that there is a Heaven and that I will be able to see all my Loved Ones there one day.  Hugs,  Glo

• Socal1966
    Socal1966 Member Posts: 4

New Dx. Invasive DCIS

so confused. First I thought I was diagnosed with DCIS. Then 2nd appointment I believe she said, invasive DCIS. First said stage 1. Then it said on written report fast growing stage 3b. Estrogen +. PR-  awaiting HER 2 and BRCA results. dX on august 15, 2015. bilateral mastectomy planned for September 28, 2015. Mom died of breast cancer at age 45. Her sister dx breast cancer age 67 and currently a 6 yr survivor. Just started a new job that I hate.  Cry everyday. Panic attacks about going to work. Panicking about losing job and having to delay surgery. When do they discuss if you need chemo/radiation after mastectomy? So confused. 

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Socal1966 said:

New Dx. Invasive DCIS

so confused. First I thought I was diagnosed with DCIS. Then 2nd appointment I believe she said, invasive DCIS. First said stage 1. Then it said on written report fast growing stage 3b. Estrogen +. PR-  awaiting HER 2 and BRCA results. dX on august 15, 2015. bilateral mastectomy planned for September 28, 2015. Mom died of breast cancer at age 45. Her sister dx breast cancer age 67 and currently a 6 yr survivor. Just started a new job that I hate.  Cry everyday. Panic attacks about going to work. Panicking about losing job and having to delay surgery. When do they discuss if you need chemo/radiation after mastectomy? So confused. 

Take a step back

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. I think you should give yourself a little time to sort things out. About your job, it can take many months to settle in even under the best of circumstances. You are going thru so much. If I were you, I would not think of leaving the job until your health issues quiet down and you can make a rational decision. About your health, I think you are right to be getting a bilateral mastectomy since your mother and aunt both had the disease. The good thing is that you have caught this early, and the prognosis is very good these days. Ask about chemotherapy at your next appointment. It helps if you make a short list of all questions so you don't forget anything. It is very confusing to get a serious diagnosis like breast cancer, but everything will start falling into place soon. Keep posting and good luck...Hugs, Anna

• Socal1966
    Socal1966 Member Posts: 4
    button2 said:

Take a step back

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. I think you should give yourself a little time to sort things out. About your job, it can take many months to settle in even under the best of circumstances. You are going thru so much. If I were you, I would not think of leaving the job until your health issues quiet down and you can make a rational decision. About your health, I think you are right to be getting a bilateral mastectomy since your mother and aunt both had the disease. The good thing is that you have caught this early, and the prognosis is very good these days. Ask about chemotherapy at your next appointment. It helps if you make a short list of all questions so you don't forget anything. It is very confusing to get a serious diagnosis like breast cancer, but everything will start falling into place soon. Keep posting and good luck...Hugs, Anna

Thanks Anna. Trying to take

Thanks Anna. Trying to take this one day at a time. I'm a Nurse. I work in the ICU and have for 20yrs. Never thought I would react like this, "if I got diagnosed."  My New job is also I'm the ICU. I'm surrounded by 20 Yr olds, that talk down to me. Even right before the dx, I was having a hard time adjusting with them. Now I don't know if this is an ageism Problem, but I can't tolerate how I'm being treated and all this stress. Any advise? I need a new attitude!! Thanks for your reply. Feeling alone. 

• Datsy
    Datsy Member Posts: 31
    GlowMore said:

Old Posts*

Thank you for your kind

Thank you for your kind words.  Since April 15, 2015 when I was diagnosed I have been a basket case.  It is wonderful to find others to share all of this with and people that have been through and understand what we all are feeling.  It is scary, but I do thank God every day that I am alive and still here.  I go back to the plastic surgeon Sept. 28 and hopefully will set a date to this expanders out.  I will be so glad.  Thanks for listening.

• tjhay1
    tjhay1 Member Posts: 18
    mrsziggy said:

Thanks for your reply
    Thanks for your reply Jill
    Did your doctor say anything about hormone treatment. Mine did not. He said I would not need Tamoxifen because I had bilateral mast. BUT, I am ER and PR positive so I don't understand why he says my treatment is done. He even said I did not need an oncologist but I tend to disagree. I am making an appt. on my own because I think I need to be followed up with sooner than just once a year. My surgeon is a surgical oncologist but I think a medical oncologist should decide if any treatment is necessary. What about you? Do you see an oncologist?
    Tracy

If you are not sure go with

If you are not sure go with you gut, see an oncologist, make sure that you are getting all the possible care you can for your peace of mind

congrats on the dx this is very good news