I need to ask. Is it the treatments we go through to live causing more deaths then the cancer itself

2»

Comments

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    molimoli said:

Maybe not curable,presently definately not curable

but we will be grateful for long remissions and hope for changes in current status. That's what I/We aught to be working towards , I personally won't muddy my thought process by thinking cure for this disease, It can't be promised by any sane doctor or oncologist. My thinking of a cure,  with the medecine  we have currently is to be in denial that I have UPSC. The current treatment will keep it in check for a while for some people and some not at all  The thought provoking Question here is, despite chemo's and radiation's   risks  and  side effects, is it worth the time bought ? Would I have had the same time if I tried less toxic route and be able to enjoy life's  scenery. For me I know the answer, however,circumstances alters decisions , I have always  been cognisant of that fact so I live my life with an open miind on most things, but never anything as baffling as this ole (lots of very bad words ) -crap.

Cuculigata you did nothing to warrant apology or forgiveness. You cried out loud voicing  your feelings of fear and frustration over this situation you  perceive to be out of your control.You have opened a very needed discussion although  out of frustration (and hunger, lol, yu too funny) comes this tough subject that we must address openly less it chews away at us,alone.

I have done the very same thing,crying out loud,  except like my tumors I was aggressive ,  aggressively  ( in my mind) hating Doctors ,scientist,Medical investers ,pharmaceutical companies ,FDA ,food manufacturers,Governments,you name it, I was an equal opportunity hater.I was not in control of my body and didn't like the sitting duck feeling so I was wrestling it away from cancer and all the people associated with it. I am now fully acquainted with my cancer and have gained control,not of the cancer's behavior but my reaction to it.

Just know we are thankful for your input ,anything, anytime,   we are hugging , wishing you less worry, nuff courage and renewed strength. Eat something forbidden and live.

Moli

Thank you Moli,

for the beautiful words and last night I ate something forbidden, a burger(organic though) lol.

My best recipe for dealing with problems is Distraction! I just need to try harder. Thanks again!

• Lily_Anne
    Lily_Anne Member Posts: 39
    cleo said:

Annabella Rose asked a question that is very relevant to her.    If we do not discuss and debate....however 'horrible' we as individuals may find some postings, experiences and opinions..how are we going to learn?  We are so individual that people react in different ways.

I read that chemotherapy

I read that chemotherapy doesn't delay the outcome any longer than avoiding chemo and looking to maintain quality of life. Because chemo and radiation is never described as a cure it worries me that I may lay myself at the mercy of a poison that will make me sick and ill. When chemo is used as a treatment it is often to delay the growth of the cancer by slowing the rate of blood and oxygen to feed it and stopping new cells developing, the risk is the healthy cells that are being killed will return as mutations which results in a new tumour.

I don't think enough is known about the damge to the body by chemo versus the ability to self heal.  By removing the initial tumour, there is still potential for cells to be in the blood stream that will either die off or manifest itself elsewhere, there is no evidence to support adjuvant chemo as changing this in any way, which was one of the things that led me into refusing to continue treatment. As most women (90%) with a gynaelogical cancer will have a limited life it worries me that my card is marked despite three years of no disease. The rising CA125 level I have makes me want to know what is going on in my body but it still does not make me want treatment, just observation.  I could be incredibly wrong, or it could mean the outcome is no different regardless of my path.

I think to cross the barrier of fear and concern, this thread opens up a debate none of us really like to think about but as time passes surely for the future we should explore.

LA

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Lily_Anne said:

I read that chemotherapy

I read that chemotherapy doesn't delay the outcome any longer than avoiding chemo and looking to maintain quality of life. Because chemo and radiation is never described as a cure it worries me that I may lay myself at the mercy of a poison that will make me sick and ill. When chemo is used as a treatment it is often to delay the growth of the cancer by slowing the rate of blood and oxygen to feed it and stopping new cells developing, the risk is the healthy cells that are being killed will return as mutations which results in a new tumour.

I don't think enough is known about the damge to the body by chemo versus the ability to self heal.  By removing the initial tumour, there is still potential for cells to be in the blood stream that will either die off or manifest itself elsewhere, there is no evidence to support adjuvant chemo as changing this in any way, which was one of the things that led me into refusing to continue treatment. As most women (90%) with a gynaelogical cancer will have a limited life it worries me that my card is marked despite three years of no disease. The rising CA125 level I have makes me want to know what is going on in my body but it still does not make me want treatment, just observation.  I could be incredibly wrong, or it could mean the outcome is no different regardless of my path.

I think to cross the barrier of fear and concern, this thread opens up a debate none of us really like to think about but as time passes surely for the future we should explore.

LA

Compare the survival rates of child hood leukemia now compared to 60 years ago If you believe chemo can't make a difference.  Of course there can be other issues but these kids are living.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    ConnieSW said:

Cathy

As I've followed this discussion, I, too, have been thinking about Yamster.  I can only assume she is no longer with us or too ill to communicate.  

I think treatment descisions are highly individual.  As an RN, I did see cases where I thought treatment resulted in a worse outcome than no treatment but these were people with serious co-morbidities or were very old and frail.  I was 65 when diagnosed and otherwise healthy.  As I was being hooked up to my first chemo I thought long and hard about the poison I was introducing into my body.  I concluded that it had served me well for a lot of years and now needed help to overcome an intruder.  Would I repeat chemo or have radiation if I recur?  I don't know.  I would have to take everything into consideration as of that point in time.  Right now I am 3 years post frontline and grateful for every day.

some of the things used in medicine in the past seem barbaric now.  Someday, when we have better tools, chemo and radiation will seem that way.  For now, we just make the best decisions we can.

connie, S/P UPSC stage 1a

Ladies, it was a few weeks

Ladies, it was a few weeks ago I saw someone say to pray for yamster, that she was not doing well, and unless someone had been in touch with her husband she may have slipped away.  So incredibly sad.

I remember when I had radiation, I said to the technician, "I bet you have seen it change a lot in your 20 years?"  She said, "YES!"  I look at the anti-nauseau drugs given today.  Things are constantly changing.

I believe the research has given us new tools, and those GIFTS I am going to use every day I need them!  And I am thankful for all the people who have participated in trials to bring us the treatment we have now as well.

Clearly, how people react to the treatments vary as much as the individual, so there is no one answer to any question. 

I am sorry if this came off wrong.  It is a day where my best friend's step mother passed away, my friend suffering from cervical cancer is dying, and a woman at work told me her husband's esophageal cancer has spread to his liver.  I'm sad. I'm pissed.  I am going to fight like hell against this beast with all the tools I can.  I'm tired of losing wonderful people.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

Ladies, it was a few weeks ago I saw someone say to pray for yamster, that she was not doing well, and unless someone had been in touch with her husband she may have slipped away.  So incredibly sad.

I remember when I had radiation, I said to the technician, "I bet you have seen it change a lot in your 20 years?"  She said, "YES!"  I look at the anti-nauseau drugs given today.  Things are constantly changing.

I believe the research has given us new tools, and those GIFTS I am going to use every day I need them!  And I am thankful for all the people who have participated in trials to bring us the treatment we have now as well.

Clearly, how people react to the treatments vary as much as the individual, so there is no one answer to any question. 

I am sorry if this came off wrong.  It is a day where my best friend's step mother passed away, my friend suffering from cervical cancer is dying, and a woman at work told me her husband's esophageal cancer has spread to his liver.  I'm sad. I'm pissed.  I am going to fight like hell against this beast with all the tools I can.  I'm tired of losing wonderful people.

No Time

First, I'm so sorry for your losses! So darn hard to lose great people in our lives.

Second, thanks VERY MUCH for your response. It helped to put me back on center. 

And, thanks for recognizing all of those that participated in trials and continue to do so to the benefit of all of us that come after.

I know I have a long 4 months ahead of me.  Not looking forward to it, but grateful that we do have the tools to give me a chance for living.

Please continue to express your thoughts and wisdom.  It makes a difference!

Love,

Cindi

• Hopeful162
    Hopeful162 Member Posts: 82
    Lily_Anne said:

I read that chemotherapy

LA

Benefits of chemo

Almost a year ago now I was diagnosed with UPSC, which after comprehensive surgery in October was staged at 1A. This stage was certainly good news to hear, but my oncologist, after consultation with the tumor board at the hospital, still recommended that I have taxol/carbo chemo. He explained it this way...he said with chemo to knock out any UPSC cells that might still be hiding that this would be my best chance for a cure. He said that with a recurrence they would keep me alive as best as they could, but I would have lost my chance for a cure. This made sense to me, and the chemo regimen was certainly doable with only about three days out of each three week cycle where I felt rotten. Now I am NED and certainly hope to remain that way through this surveillance stage and beyond!

In short, I have trust that my doctor has my best interests at heart and that included chemotherapy.

• TeddyandBears_Mom

Benefits of chemo

Almost a year ago now I was diagnosed with UPSC, which after comprehensive surgery in October was staged at 1A. This stage was certainly good news to hear, but my oncologist, after consultation with the tumor board at the hospital, still recommended that I have taxol/carbo chemo. He explained it this way...he said with chemo to knock out any UPSC cells that might still be hiding that this would be my best chance for a cure. He said that with a recurrence they would keep me alive as best as they could, but I would have lost my chance for a cure. This made sense to me, and the chemo regimen was certainly doable with only about three days out of each three week cycle where I felt rotten. Now I am NED and certainly hope to remain that way through this surveillance stage and beyond!

In short, I have trust that my doctor has my best interests at heart and that included chemotherapy.

Hopeful

Thanks for the reply. That DOES make sense. And is just another confirmation for me to continue on the chemo path. I hope your reply helps others here too.

Also, my doctor is trying weekly lower doses for me and I have wondered after this second one if that is the right way to go.  You noted that you had 3 rough days over the 3 weeks.  I had about 36 or so hours of rough stuff this time.  And, he said it could be cumulative so not sure how much worse it may get.  I think I will continue on this path for now and see if my body continues to be strong enough. It all depends on how well my blood counts recover. They were down after the first treatment but not enough to stop the second one.  I will say that going weekly is a constant chemo hit to my emotions. So, have to work hard to keep my spirits up. Just don't get much of a break between treatment sessions.  Anyway, I went off subject here but wanted you to know your input helped me.

Love,

Cindi

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member

Hopeful

Thanks for the reply. That DOES make sense. And is just another confirmation for me to continue on the chemo path. I hope your reply helps others here too.

Also, my doctor is trying weekly lower doses for me and I have wondered after this second one if that is the right way to go.  You noted that you had 3 rough days over the 3 weeks.  I had about 36 or so hours of rough stuff this time.  And, he said it could be cumulative so not sure how much worse it may get.  I think I will continue on this path for now and see if my body continues to be strong enough. It all depends on how well my blood counts recover. They were down after the first treatment but not enough to stop the second one.  I will say that going weekly is a constant chemo hit to my emotions. So, have to work hard to keep my spirits up. Just don't get much of a break between treatment sessions.  Anyway, I went off subject here but wanted you to know your input helped me.

Love,

Cindi

I am very comfortable with my decision to pursue treatments

I think there is a ton of information out there both pros and cons.  As I said in my earlier post, it is really an individual's choice.  In my case, having seen what my father went through 20 years ago with glioblastoma and how treating that has evolved, to mother's fight against breast cancer and how well she did - we learned a lot about how things evolved in the medical world and cancer treatments.  I am now participating in a clinical trial that will benefit many types of cancers when they advance and are inoperable.  For me, the key is twofold - the treatments keep evolving and becoming more and more targeted and secondly - I am not seeking a cure, rather a way to manage this as a chronic disease while living fully and thriving.  A cure would be great too but not likely for me at this time.

i have had a lot of amazing experiences because of my cancer and I am grateful for that.  I trust the medical community as a whole and while there are certainly areas that aren't perfect - things are evolving and I hope that I can be a part of those changes in a very small way.  

Hugs to all.  Anne

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member

Hopeful

Love,

Cindi

I am going to start a new thread on active chemo.

You have such good information and we all do.  I think it might get buried in this important thread too.  Anne

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    AWK said:

I am very comfortable with my decision to pursue treatments

I think there is a ton of information out there both pros and cons.  As I said in my earlier post, it is really an individual's choice.  In my case, having seen what my father went through 20 years ago with glioblastoma and how treating that has evolved, to mother's fight against breast cancer and how well she did - we learned a lot about how things evolved in the medical world and cancer treatments.  I am now participating in a clinical trial that will benefit many types of cancers when they advance and are inoperable.  For me, the key is twofold - the treatments keep evolving and becoming more and more targeted and secondly - I am not seeking a cure, rather a way to manage this as a chronic disease while living fully and thriving.  A cure would be great too but not likely for me at this time.

i have had a lot of amazing experiences because of my cancer and I am grateful for that.  I trust the medical community as a whole and while there are certainly areas that aren't perfect - things are evolving and I hope that I can be a part of those changes in a very small way.  

Hugs to all.  Anne

Great spirits ladies!

You are inspiration!

Thank you

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Hi Ladies,You have all made

Hi Ladies,You have all made my afternoon smile filled , Smiling to see us all feeling so  unbared from expressing ourselves, with no judgements ,one way or the other,

I knew it was a powerful question posed by Annabella Rose.Thank you my sister.You have opened' Sesame'

To all of you I knew we'd hear your voices full of strength,weakness, informations,mis-informations, worries,fears ,satisfaction ,resolutions.positives ,negatives  All of this boils down to WONDERMENT as to how we got here and how we can get out of this without actually dying, and if we must die of this how can we outfox anger , bitterness,and unchangeable regrets, which by itself sucks life and  happiness out of us faster than cancer can suck our good cells out till only it's own is left.

I choose to think that our glass is half full, we were put on notice. It is up to us how we use our lives ,moving forward.

Regrets are yesterday's business, not welcomed today. Be in the moment , LIVE,  we may drop dead anytime and it may  have nothing to do with our cancer ,something else can snatch us away from cancer or cause us to be no longer alive but not quite dead.I don't waste time worrying about cure,There is none in this present time so it is just wishful thinking.I won't use up my minutes on that.    I hope for remission or stunted c. cells that is too weak to move.  my wish to me /you.

I am embracing that of my life that is still present,  I am going to die feeling fulfilled, my to do list is getting done It's a wonderful blessing that I've been put on notice.because I was so healthy that I took the days for granted as they passed by.now I am forced to play catchup.

You can do treatment or refuse treatment,or just sit on the fence and ponder treatment (like me) but while you do that don't forget to remember to make time to LIVE. It wards off end of days bitterness.Turn the pressure down , 'PRESSURE  BURST PIPES  Thats my final take on this subject.  Glad that it's being discussed. 

Embracing you all. Thanks for being there. Nuff nuff love, Moli.

• molimoli
    Lily_Anne said:

I read that chemotherapy

LA

Well expressed.

Lily-Anne  I thank you for such a thought provoking response. Blessings and peace of mind in whatever route you take , seem to be working.Continued NED, I wish for you.

Moli.

• molimoli

I hope her end of life wishes came through

She pretty well said goodbye  to us in her last post to me ,She knew what was happening and was ready to go. Wish I knew how to transfer that  post  so you could all find peace in her passing words.Does any one know how ?

Rest In Peace my Sister Friend.  Moli.

I am wondering out loud if we could designate some family or friend to notify the board when something happen to us, That would mean putting pass word in an envelope and tell the confidant where to find it in case it's needed.

alternately we could buddy with a sister on the board to notify the others when necessary. Just a not well thoughtout thought. Opinions, suggestions?

• molimoli
    ConnieSW said:

Compare the survival rates of child hood leukemia now compared to 60 years ago If you believe chemo can't make a difference.  Of course there can be other issues but these kids are living.

Chemo has pluses with many kinds of cancer, dismal with some

We all must acknowledge that Chemo does well with certain cancers, eg: breast and blood based cancer suffers are fairing off quite well for long  remissions. However,for our kind of cancer I am not convinced that I should be  relying on Chemo .I don't know what it is suppose to do for me . No one seem to have an expected outcome, it's mostly, it may buy you some time  lets try it  we'll see, coming from oncologists  and doctors .I must say though, I have talked to many elow the belt  cancer sufferers at the cancer centre and 40 % of them love what Chemo does for them despite the side effects the other 60 %  will never do it  again and complained of all kinds of new illness caused by treatment, . I listen to them all and my pondering continues.

Blessings, Moli

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    molimoli said:

I hope her end of life wishes came through

She pretty well said goodbye  to us in her last post to me ,She knew what was happening and was ready to go. Wish I knew how to transfer that  post  so you could all find peace in her passing words.Does any one know how ?

Rest In Peace my Sister Friend.  Moli.

I am wondering out loud if we could designate some family or friend to notify the board when something happen to us, That would mean putting pass word in an envelope and tell the confidant where to find it in case it's needed.

alternately we could buddy with a sister on the board to notify the others when necessary. Just a not well thoughtout thought. Opinions, suggestions?

Moli

Hey,  Try putting your mouse at the end or the beginning of the message, then right click keeping the button down, then scroll over the entire message. It should hilite it. You can then left click and will get a pop up. Click on copy. Then you can open a new message and right click again. Click on paste. You should have it in your new message.

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    molimoli said:

We all must acknowledge that Chemo does well with certain cancers, eg: breast and blood based cancer suffers are fairing off quite well for long  remissions. However,for our kind of cancer I am not convinced that I should be  relying on Chemo .I don't know what it is suppose to do for me . No one seem to have an expected outcome, it's mostly, it may buy you some time  lets try it  we'll see, coming from oncologists  and doctors .I must say though, I have talked to many elow the belt  cancer sufferers at the cancer centre and 40 % of them love what Chemo does for them despite the side effects the other 60 %  will never do it  again and complained of all kinds of new illness caused by treatment, . I listen to them all and my pondering continues.

Blessings, Moli

chemo again?

Moli, I have a thought here and I hope I use the right words to express it without coming off in a bad way... So, If I rub anyone the wrong way, I'm apologizing up front!

For those going through chemo, there are some really awful days. And, the thought of doing chemo again would be daunting. Especially since many are still working on making it through the initial rounds. So, depending on the day, someone may or may not give the same answer. No one knows what they will do (again) until they are faced again with a life or death situation. Those 60% are STILL doing it. So, while they are having to deal with the side effects, which hopefully will resolve post treatment, they are coming back for more with the hope of extended life.

I'm saying this with just my own feelings so far after 2 treatments. On my worst day, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do this. But, that day is over and I know I will put my butt in the car and go for my next treatment tomorrow. Because I want to live. And, I want that chance of NED long term.

My two cents once again,

Cindi

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member

chemo again?

Moli, I have a thought here and I hope I use the right words to express it without coming off in a bad way... So, If I rub anyone the wrong way, I'm apologizing up front!

For those going through chemo, there are some really awful days. And, the thought of doing chemo again would be daunting. Especially since many are still working on making it through the initial rounds. So, depending on the day, someone may or may not give the same answer. No one knows what they will do (again) until they are faced again with a life or death situation. Those 60% are STILL doing it. So, while they are having to deal with the side effects, which hopefully will resolve post treatment, they are coming back for more with the hope of extended life.

I'm saying this with just my own feelings so far after 2 treatments. On my worst day, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do this. But, that day is over and I know I will put my butt in the car and go for my next treatment tomorrow. Because I want to live. And, I want that chance of NED long term.

My two cents once again,

Cindi

Well said

And that's not always easy to do in writing.  I agree, and in the end what we choose to do is an individualized decision, just as we are individuals.  It would be so much easier if it were cut and dried but it isn't.

• molimoli

chemo again?

My two cents once again,

Cindi

Well expressed Cindi,No

Well expressed Cindi,No apologies necessary, Honest responses enriches this board's benefits  to us all. My best wishes for best outcome. We will be on this journey with you,supporting with no conditions.

Nuff love , Moli

• molimoli
    Thinking of you.

Annabella Rose  you are in my thoughts ,Thanks for your latest posts.The posters are exhaling and thats a good thing.

Know that when I get overwhelmed, for what it's worth I run to the creator and when I do I go as part of a whole,I ask for good manageable outcome for all of us. I make my supplication and leave us all to the mercy of grace, and I don't worry much. Worry changes nothing to good my darling,so let it go ,whatever it is.

My head tells me that you are very worried and sad , Cheer up if this is the case I hope for added strength and peace of mind for you today. Feel the hug Annabella Rose.

My head may be off ,feeling that way ,if it is, accept my apology and blame it on my (fear of ) chemo brain.

Any way I was just announcing the big big hug I sent you, Nuff love.Moli

• SettledSue
    SettledSue Member Posts: 55 Member
    molimoli said:

Blessings, Moli

I want chemo if it keeps me alive

Moli, I was struck by your saying that 40% of the people you talked to were happy with chemo and 60% weren't. But those 60% were still alive, possibly because of the chemo. I think you will find many people on this board whose tumors were reduced in size or at least kept from growing because of chemo and their lives were extended. Any side effects from chemo, like my minor neuropathy in my toes must be weighed against the benefit of being alive. 

Sue