Chemo not working - terminal- NHL

my father's oncologout told us that the tumor has not responded to 4 treatments of R-CHOP. He  was very sick with the treatments and now they say he is terminal - 6 months.

i thought there might be other options like radiation or somethinG. Six months ago he was play hockey. Maybe the tumor is to big for radiation. 

We're Canadian. He's at quite a good hospital here but we are thinking of sending his records to Sloan Kettering for a second opinion.

any thought or advice would be appreciated 

Comments

• DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346
    Hi sweetie, I'm so very sorry

Hi sweetie, I'm so very sorry about your Dad. What kind of NHL and stage does he have? Usually when a treatment doesn't work they'll try another type of treatment unless they feel he can not handle it with the difficulties he already experienced with rchop. Hoping wishing somehow the tumors will begin to shrink and doctors will be guided in the direction that would be beneficial in your dad's recovery.

• seanyyz
    seanyyz Member Posts: 2
    DadysGirl said:

Hi sweetie, I'm so very sorry

Hi sweetie, I'm so very sorry about your Dad. What kind of NHL and stage does he have? Usually when a treatment doesn't work they'll try another type of treatment unless they feel he can not handle it with the difficulties he already experienced with rchop. Hoping wishing somehow the tumors will begin to shrink and doctors will be guided in the direction that would be beneficial in your dad's recovery.

He has large B cell NHL. Not

He has large B cell NHL. Not sure what stage but I know the tumor is and was large. He was in the hospital for side effects from rchop and has now been discharged home after the bad scan.

• Second Opinion is always Good

i would recommend MD Anderson for NHL. A close friend of mine had aggressive Large B cell. Her treatment failed at first and they changed clinics and tried again and included radiation. She has been NED for 6 years now. As the old saying goes " the devil is in the details" since lymphoma has many types and can be a very complicated disease. So please, if you decide on a second opinion make sure they get "ALL" your Dad's records and a sample from the biopsy. That last one is very important for classifying the strain of lymphoma and selecting the most appropriate treatment regime. Best of luck to you And your Father.

• unknown said:

Second Opinion is always Good

i would recommend MD Anderson for NHL. A close friend of mine had aggressive Large B cell. Her treatment failed at first and they changed clinics and tried again and included radiation. She has been NED for 6 years now. As the old saying goes " the devil is in the details" since lymphoma has many types and can be a very complicated disease. So please, if you decide on a second opinion make sure they get "ALL" your Dad's records and a sample from the biopsy. That last one is very important for classifying the strain of lymphoma and selecting the most appropriate treatment regime. Best of luck to you And your Father.

I might add ...

don't feel disloyal or ungrateful to your current medical team for seeking a second opinion. Doctors are professionals and most are very comfortable with having a colleague or fellow Doctor look at a case. I am sure your Dad has a good team but there are many ways of looking at things and a different point of view often proves helpful.

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 869 Member
    2nd Opinion

Sean, I agree that your family needs to seek a second opinion. R-CHOP is a very intense treatment but it can be adjusted and tailored to the patient. I was hospitalized (and very ill) after each of my first two treatments. 

But, if the treatment is not working for your Dad's lymphoma, there are many more options. 

I am very happy that you are not willing to accept the prognosis that he only has "6 months". Keep seeking solutions.

Blessings,

Rocquie