Ampullary Cancer

I was diagnosed with Ampullary Cancer, stage 111, T4T1M0 in March of 2010 at the age of 45.  Whipple procedure was performed and went beautifully.  5 1/2 weeks later, I began Chemo.  My chemo meds were Oxiliplatin and Xeloda.  They have proven to be very effective.  I've reached the 5 year milestone and continue to do well.  I continue to go to my doctor every 6 months for CT scans and bloodwork.

I believe the only complaint I would have is that I am rather tired almost all the time.  Guess that is part of it, but I keep on going.  I actually insist on  being active and I am - just tired!

Good Luck to anyone who has been diagnosed with this particular type of cancer and know that there are people out there who have survived this and you can too.  I firmly believe that the power of prayer can bring you through anything.

Comments

• Ginny0404
    Ginny0404 Member Posts: 1
    So glad to hear of someone who has already gone through this

I just wanted to thank you for posting what you did.  I just was diagnosed with apullary cancer and will be going through the same surgery in two weeks.  It is so scary knowing everything involved in the surgery but I am so thankful to hear that you did great and are still surviving.  Thank you for the inspirations.  I really hope to get through this and to be years down the road living as normally as possible.  God bless.

• jchang
    jchang Member Posts: 1
    Thank you

I too want to thank you for your comments.

My mother was also diagnosed with Ampullary Cancer in June 2015.

She had a Whipple in July, and then developed a chronic wound in my abdomen that I am still dealing with. But it is slowly healing.

She was classified as Stage IIB, T1N1M0. She will be undergoing 6 months of chemo and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation treatment after that. The plan for chemo right now is to use Gemcitabine (or Gemzar) starting mid October 2015.

You can follow her progress on her fundraiser here: https://www.youcaring.com/joung-chang-439700/

#ampullarycancer