Thank you a million times

Ijust want to express my gratitude to you all. I found your discussion board googling uterine cancer survival rates. I saw vaginal blood yesterday. I am 66 years old so I knew something was wrong. Went to ER immediately. After exam, culture and ultrasound, I was told the lining of my uterus is thick and may be indicative of uterine cancer. Going crazy thinking about it.. Can't get off the internet. Then I found you all. Feel so much more calm. Made an appointment request at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fl. Awaiting response. I just moved to Cape Canaveral, Fl from Greenwich CT. I Moved her to be by the ocean , my son and grandson. I knew everthing in Greenwich, where to go, whom to see.  Here I am a fish out of water. Thankful to have found Mayo. It's just two hours from me. Hoping for the best outcome. PS. I journeyed and cared for my mother when she was diagnosed with lung and adrenal cancer about two years ago. She passed in 2013.

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    another place to go

Seaisme, It is VERY scary. And, this discussion board does have a calming effect. I'm glad you found us.

So, I just did a MapQuest on your location to Jacksonville.  You are way closer to Tampa.  I just had my surgery 10 days ago at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. Since you are new to the area, I thought it would be helpful to at least give you some feedback.  I highly recommend Moffitt. I felt like my care was top notch. I will also tell you that you can't be in a hurry at appointments. Because sometimes you do have long wait times. That being said, I have heard good things about the Mayo clinic too. I just don't have any personal experience there.

Feel free to email me if you have other questions about locations. And, I'm so sorry you are going through this.  You will find a lot of support here.

Cindi

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member

another place to go

Seaisme, It is VERY scary. And, this discussion board does have a calming effect. I'm glad you found us.

So, I just did a MapQuest on your location to Jacksonville.  You are way closer to Tampa.  I just had my surgery 10 days ago at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. Since you are new to the area, I thought it would be helpful to at least give you some feedback.  I highly recommend Moffitt. I felt like my care was top notch. I will also tell you that you can't be in a hurry at appointments. Because sometimes you do have long wait times. That being said, I have heard good things about the Mayo clinic too. I just don't have any personal experience there.

Feel free to email me if you have other questions about locations. And, I'm so sorry you are going through this.  You will find a lot of support here.

Cindi

Lucky lady

To have found this site so soon.  The information and support you will find here is going to make things much easier for you.  My first thought is will you have someone to go to your first appointment with you?  You'll need to make a list of your questions and it helps so much if there is someone to take notes.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    seaisme, please be careful of

seaisme, please be careful of what you read on the internet, you will make yourself crazy.  There is a lot of things out there and most of them off the wall.  I am glad you have found us and I am so sorry to hear about your mother.

Please try to take a breath and know that you are doing the right thing getting it checked out right away. 

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Welcome Seisme!
    You are

Welcome Seisme!

You are indeed lucky to have found this site so soon! I also found it early...right after my biopsy & being told by my regular gyno I had cancer.

I relied heavily on the women on this board who were so knowledgeable & compassionate. I was googling alot and reading stuff that just created more anxiety whereas everyone here had a calming affect despite some of them going through some extremely difficult times.

I chose to stick to the board here & limit my googling...

Ask anything here no matter how embarrassing, express any feelings you are experiencing & read as many older posts as you can absorb.

And keep coming back!

Good luck!

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Kathy G. said:

Welcome Seisme!
    You are

Welcome Seisme!

You are indeed lucky to have found this site so soon! I also found it early...right after my biopsy & being told by my regular gyno I had cancer.

I relied heavily on the women on this board who were so knowledgeable & compassionate. I was googling alot and reading stuff that just created more anxiety whereas everyone here had a calming affect despite some of them going through some extremely difficult times.

I chose to stick to the board here & limit my googling...

Ask anything here no matter how embarrassing, express any feelings you are experiencing & read as many older posts as you can absorb.

And keep coming back!

Good luck!

Glad, seaisme, that you found us.

But- I certainly wish that it was not necessary. Although vaginal bleeding is the hallmark indication of uterine cancer in a post-menopausal woman, bleeding can be caused by other conditions as well. I hope that is true for you, but if it is not the knowledgeable and loving women on this Board can help you cope with the experience. Obtain copies of your operative and pathology reports for your records, if need be, as you may want to obtain a second or even third (I did) opinion regarding treatment. Understand that all diseases have what is called " a standard of care". Insurance companies will not pay for "experimental TX, unless it is a clinical trial. Like Cindi, I went to Moffitt but for a second opinion. It is a big place and a bit intimidating but my doctor was thorough and spent a lot of time with me answering questions. I always prepared for my doctor's visit with questions that I had written on paper. The most important information will come from the pathology report. When I experienced bleeding- only once and only two small drops of fresh blood, I almost did nothing about it until I googled it. From the date that I had bleeding to my hysterectomy it was only a month. I remember the gynecologic oncologist telling me that uterine cancer was curable. My uterine biopsy showed that I had a grade 2 cancer- moderately aggressive. Usually, Endometriod uterine cancer is a grade 1-the most curable- but not always. Unfortunately for me, my cancer turned out to be Uterine Papilliary Serous carcinoma, advance stage (stage 3A). It is one of the most aggressive cancers, a grade 3. Bad luck for me. However, it has been almost 2 years since my diagnosis and I am thriving so far! NED feels pretty darn good!