Any regrets?

2»

Comments

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    NJMOM

No regrets what so ever. At the time of treatment I would never have said this but yes I would do it all over again. Although I hope I wouldn’t be twice as abi-normal as I am now. Treatment was very rough I can remember telling my wife after my third radiation treatment that I wasn’t going back because I started feeling some of the effects they told I would get after two weeks. But I got zapped 390 times and now I enjoy every one of them.

Your caregiver roll is just as tough as his treatment. Stay strong and positive.

Life is good

Jeff

• yensid683
    yensid683 Member Posts: 349
    there are no stupid questions....

I think everyone questions their choices during and after treatment, I know I did.  My initial reaction was "when can we start" in terms of treating my disease, but then the reality of treatments hit home.  I can't dispute that treatement for head and neck is the 2nd most arduous, it certainly was for me.

I had the full range too, induction chemo, concurrent radiation and chemo, and then surgery and at times I was discouraged, I wondered if it was worth it, and at times still do.  I watch people on tv and in the movies simply grab a handful of whatever snack or enjoy food at a party and envy them as they don't need to be sure they have a water bottle handy so they can actually swallow what they've put in their mouths.  I then look at my wife and daughters, I see their happiness, I see them grow, and feel their love and I can say without reservation that it was and is all worth it.

I'm just over 3 years out from the last radiation treatment and there are permanent changes to my life, and very visible battle scars, but like Foster's "Red Badge", I'll wear them proudly as a testament to the courage that all of us who battle the beast show.

Peter

• NJMOM
    NJMOM Member Posts: 64
    Duggie88 said:

NJMOM

No regrets what so ever. At the time of treatment I would never have said this but yes I would do it all over again. Although I hope I wouldn’t be twice as abi-normal as I am now. Treatment was very rough I can remember telling my wife after my third radiation treatment that I wasn’t going back because I started feeling some of the effects they told I would get after two weeks. But I got zapped 390 times and now I enjoy every one of them.

Your caregiver roll is just as tough as his treatment. Stay strong and positive.

Life is good

Jeff

I find it so hard some days

I find it so hard some days to put a smile on my face when I'm dying inside. I think my problem is that I've read a lot of posts/stories on here that deeply touch me and then there are others that literally scare me to death!! I don't want my husband to suffer any of the horrors that some of you have experienced and yet I know am powerless to stop them from happening. I pray every night that this goes as smoothly as possible for him because he has always been my rock. He says he's committed for what they have planned for him, so I have to have faith that he will follow this through till the end. Thanks for your support!

• NJMOM
    NJMOM Member Posts: 64
    yensid683 said:

there are no stupid questions....

I think everyone questions their choices during and after treatment, I know I did.  My initial reaction was "when can we start" in terms of treating my disease, but then the reality of treatments hit home.  I can't dispute that treatement for head and neck is the 2nd most arduous, it certainly was for me.

I had the full range too, induction chemo, concurrent radiation and chemo, and then surgery and at times I was discouraged, I wondered if it was worth it, and at times still do.  I watch people on tv and in the movies simply grab a handful of whatever snack or enjoy food at a party and envy them as they don't need to be sure they have a water bottle handy so they can actually swallow what they've put in their mouths.  I then look at my wife and daughters, I see their happiness, I see them grow, and feel their love and I can say without reservation that it was and is all worth it.

I'm just over 3 years out from the last radiation treatment and there are permanent changes to my life, and very visible battle scars, but like Foster's "Red Badge", I'll wear them proudly as a testament to the courage that all of us who battle the beast show.

Peter

Thanks! The road that lies

Thanks! The road that lies ahead is scary as hell to me and I only pray that his journey is not as gruesome and painful as some of the stories I've read. He's a strong man and has always been my rock so it will be very difficult to watch him suffer. I'm glad there is a site like this for support.

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    NJMOM said:

Thanks! The road that lies

Thanks! The road that lies ahead is scary as hell to me and I only pray that his journey is not as gruesome and painful as some of the stories I've read. He's a strong man and has always been my rock so it will be very difficult to watch him suffer. I'm glad there is a site like this for support.

also don't think you are powerless

You are your patient's greatest advocate.  Speak up about fears and with questions.

There maycome a time when your husband is too tired to speak up.  

• Crazymom
    Crazymom Member Posts: 339 Member
    is it worth it

I got cancer with a 17 year old son and a 12 year old son.  I went through hell with the radiation...I did not have problems with chemo.  It was hard, but yes yes yes...most certainly worth it. 

I am so thankful I went through it.  I would be dead now if I had not done it. It is going to get better.

Ann

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Crazymom said:

is it worth it

I got cancer with a 17 year old son and a 12 year old son.  I went through hell with the radiation...I did not have problems with chemo.  It was hard, but yes yes yes...most certainly worth it. 

I am so thankful I went through it.  I would be dead now if I had not done it. It is going to get better.

Ann

People matter

There ain't many ups o this but I have met some of the finest people. Some I'm proud to call mates. I'm 18 months out and can eat,drink,excercise, travel. Treatment is a war of attrition. Win it and then live. Savour every moment.

• fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    my memory

the memory i have is of my doc saying 

"the cancer may not kill you but the treatment might!"