Waiting on Surgery to remove left kidney and already living with a j-pouch from UC

gmitchell
gmitchell Member Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

My name is Ginger and I have been diagnosed with cancer on the left kidney measuring 6x5.8. I have not been told what stage this is but I do know that from the MRI with contrast that all my surrounding organs are fine and my chest ct scan is normal as well.  My surgery has been scheduled for Aug 11 and now I am waiting and trying to learn as much as I can about the before,, during and after surgery so I can be prepared.  I had ulerative colitis for many years and finally had my colon removed in 2000.  I then had a tear down 4 months later and have been successful  living with a j-pouch since then.  My concern is having the left kidney removed and the survival of my j-pouch.

Is there anyone out there that has had a tear down and living with a j-pouch and now one kidney?

I am trying not to worry....

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Welcome

gmitchell,

Welcome to the club which no one in their right mind would volunteer to join. Sorry I can not address the j-pouch issue.

Tumors under 7 cm with no other involement are usually Stage 1 RCC. Any update will be as a result of the Pathology following your surgery. Hopefully it stays Stage 1 and you need no further care after the Surgery other than scans. I am 13 years post neph (our affectionate name for the surgery) with no further treatent since the neph. So far everything is OK with 1 kidney.

Good luck with the surgery. Been there, done that.

Icemantoo

• gmitchell
    icemantoo said:

Welcome

gmitchell,

Welcome to the club which no one in their right mind would volunteer to join. Sorry I can not address the j-pouch issue.

Tumors under 7 cm with no other involement are usually Stage 1 RCC. Any update will be as a result of the Pathology following your surgery. Hopefully it stays Stage 1 and you need no further care after the Surgery other than scans. I am 13 years post neph (our affectionate name for the surgery) with no further treatent since the neph. So far everything is OK with 1 kidney.

Good luck with the surgery. Been there, done that.

Icemantoo

Thank you Icemantoo, I

Thank you Icemantoo, I appreciate the response and will stay connected to this forum in hopes that someone will connect with me regarding the j-pouch.  My biggest fear is that if my team of doctors accidentally puncture my j-pouch that I will have no choice but to go back to a bag.  I am hoping and praying that doesnt happen becuase i view my j-pouch as my life line.

Ginger

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Welcome Ginger!
    It sounds

Welcome Ginger!

It sounds like you have had your share of health challenges. Sorry about the latest issue. However, as Iceman already mentioned, it should be smooth sailing. I do not know anything about the J pouch (I learn something new every day!). It is amazing what they can do in surgery. My tumor was 13 cm and they got out via laprascopy. I still can't believe it. So hopefully, they should be able to manage without damaging the J pouch....but perhaps an open surgery would be better considering?

Keep us posted - and try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!!)

Hugs

Jojo

• gmitchell
    Jojo61 said:

Welcome Ginger!
    It sounds

Welcome Ginger!

It sounds like you have had your share of health challenges. Sorry about the latest issue. However, as Iceman already mentioned, it should be smooth sailing. I do not know anything about the J pouch (I learn something new every day!). It is amazing what they can do in surgery. My tumor was 13 cm and they got out via laprascopy. I still can't believe it. So hopefully, they should be able to manage without damaging the J pouch....but perhaps an open surgery would be better considering?

Keep us posted - and try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!!)

Hugs

Jojo

Thanks Jojo,That is amazing

Thanks Jojo,

That is amazing they got your tumor  out w/o needing the open surgery.  Did your cancer spread or was it all contained?

I know I can pull through this, its just another bump in the road for me.  At least I hope it will be.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Ginger

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    gmitchell said:

Thanks Jojo,That is amazing

Thanks Jojo,

That is amazing they got your tumor  out w/o needing the open surgery.  Did your cancer spread or was it all contained?

I know I can pull through this, its just another bump in the road for me.  At least I hope it will be.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Ginger

Bump in the road

Hi Ginger,

One thing I have learned is that life is full of bumps in the road. The trick is to not let them keep you down! Sounds like you are showing the bumps who is boss!

I am Stage 3 - so the cancer is all contained, but invaded into the kidney sinus and also lymphovascular invasion present (my biggest worry) but so far, so good!! Hoping this continues and that yours is a quick recovery.

Hugs

Jojo

• galveston1
    galveston1 Member Posts: 3
    Jojo61 said:

Bump in the road

Hi Ginger,

One thing I have learned is that life is full of bumps in the road. The trick is to not let them keep you down! Sounds like you are showing the bumps who is boss!

I am Stage 3 - so the cancer is all contained, but invaded into the kidney sinus and also lymphovascular invasion present (my biggest worry) but so far, so good!! Hoping this continues and that yours is a quick recovery.

Hugs

Jojo

hyperdense mass on left kidney 1.4 cm in interpolar region

Hello, Jojo.  I could identify with your post about the "bump in the road".  I will pray for you and hope you are healed and whole in Jesus name, amen!  You sound upbeat and that is half the battle I think.  

My hubby had a sigmodectomy in may and then in july was to start chemo but he became ill with painful spasms near his diaphram ... so we were 2 weeks late starting chemo and had a ct scan done which showed this new tiny mass on his kidney that wasn't there at the end of march as we had a ct done for another problem in march and he was dianosed in april with colon cancer.  the onc. said he doubted it was related to the colon cancer, the entire sigmoid was removed, however since it just sprang up I am paranoid.  Is it logical to be paranoid with a new growth even though they say "not related to colon cancer?"  The onc. is having a urologist take a 2nd look at it and see what he thinks.  Hubby just started chemo (folfox 6) this past week.  God bless you!

• galveston1
    galveston1 Member Posts: 3
    Praying for a successful surgery and healing for you!

I pray that all is well with you and that God restores your health in Jesus name, amen!