Chemo Brain

Options
Incha1
Incha1 Member Posts: 8

Has any one experienced chemo brain. I feel like I have dimencia. Sometimes I can't spell a word that I always knew how, forget peoples names.

Comments

• Incha1
    Options
    Cecum & ileum removed & ascending colon & cholestyramin

Finished my Chemo Feb.17, 2015. Due to the cecum,ileum removal I have had diarrhea. I am now on cholestyramine 4grams 2 time a day & amitryptoline 10mg. at dinner. I feel so full after each time I take it. Then bloated. Next day normal stool but again in evening a mushy stool & my gut is sore. Has anyone experienced this.???

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Incha1 said:

Finished my Chemo Feb.17, 2015. Due to the cecum,ileum removal I have had diarrhea. I am now on cholestyramine 4grams 2 time a day & amitryptoline 10mg. at dinner. I feel so full after each time I take it. Then bloated. Next day normal stool but again in evening a mushy stool & my gut is sore. Has anyone experienced this.???

I can relate to the chemo

I can relate to the chemo brain thing. I hate grasping for words and I'm very picky about spelling and hate it when I can't figure out how to spell a word I should know how to spell. Or I do spell it right but it doesn't look right to me. My memory is even worse than it was before and it wasn't great then.

I can't relate to the bowel issues, though, I have an illeostomy. Which I'm hesitating to get reversed because my surgeon said my IBS will be even worse afterwards. It was horrible before and has been my whole adult life.

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Dear Friend,

I believe chemo brain or memory problems with chemo and cancer have two causes. One is the chemo's effect on the brain and probably no one knows why and how chemo does that. I personally only have issues remembering names and brand names. Everything else is the same. I'm 50 years old now.

The other part I would call "Cancer Brain". Once you find out you have cancer it puts and incredible load on your mental and emotional state. The health, insurance, financial, work related and relationship issues are very serious when you have cancer. These inevitably make your brain more occupied non-stop and you are distracted from your normal daily duties, you are scattered and forgetful. I am almost 2 years cancer free and with pretty good prognosis, but there is not an hour I don't think of or worry about cancer or things related to it. 

As far as the bowel issues there are two things you can do. Diet and medication. They say banana, toast, dark chocolate and rise make your stool thicker. Avoid too much sugar, white flour and salt. They draw water into your intestines and cause bloating and looser stool.

I forgot the last thing. (just kidding!)

Laz

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    H*** yes!

I am two years out from treatment, and I definitely have Chemo Brain. 

I wish I could post videos here. Just recently, I was recording a video blog. I started the video saying 'Today I am....' and then my brain went blank (which is how my Chemo barin affects me). I then said....right there on the video 'Am I 25 or 26?'.  Then a pause, and thats when it hit me, I'm FIFTY SEVEN AND A HALF.

At first I found it very disturbing but now I am getting used to it. 

How it affects me, as I said, is that I go blank. I forget words, and I find I look into the air or stare. I do warn people that this happens, but of course, there are others around me who don't know the problem, and just think I'm losing it. 

Maybe I am losing it. 

I did have one lady say to me 'Do you blame everything on the Chemo?'. I confess, I was somewhat hurt and a little offended. 

A hearty welcome to the forum. Stay around, we can help you through this, and we're always up for new friends, though we wish folks didn't have to join our little club.

Sue - Trubrit

• Trubrit
    Options
    Incha1 said:

Can you spell it?

I had diarrhea so very bad during and after Radiation.  

I still have my moments, but pretty much know what foods trigger it and try to keep away from them. 

I loved my DEPENDS, though even they weren't enough at times. 

And really, who on earth came up with the spelling for DIARRHEA. I do believe mine is actually the English spelling, but I bet the American spelling is just as crazy. 

Sue - Trubrit

• DD3
    DD3 Member Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had

to chime in here.  My wife was diagnosed with CRC at the ripe ole age of 45.  About 2 1/2 years out of treatment. 

Chemo brain.... Yes.  I've noticed a change in her ability to "pick" a word out she would like to use.  Or... forgetting something... Although it doesn't affect her everyday ability to function at all.  Even she says she has chemo brain too.  She has always been the intelligent one out of the two of us.  Hell, still is.  After this journey we went through together... yes, I believe chemo brain is real.  I have no clinical study to back it up, just our experience together. 

Bowel movements... Boy that is a whole other subject.  Tongue Out

• Incha1
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

I can relate to the chemo

I can relate to the chemo brain thing. I hate grasping for words and I'm very picky about spelling and hate it when I can't figure out how to spell a word I should know how to spell. Or I do spell it right but it doesn't look right to me. My memory is even worse than it was before and it wasn't great then.

I can't relate to the bowel issues, though, I have an illeostomy. Which I'm hesitating to get reversed because my surgeon said my IBS will be even worse afterwards. It was horrible before and has been my whole adult life.

Chemo brain

I 'm sure can relate to ur comment. It is so frustrating. I type a word & it does not look right. I ask my husband & 99 times out of a100 he says I am right. Words don't look right but they r. I wonder how long this will last. My Dr. Says sometimes up to a year. I have gotten lost in my own neighborhood

• Incha1
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Can you spell it?

I had diarrhea so very bad during and after Radiation.  

I still have my moments, but pretty much know what foods trigger it and try to keep away from them. 

I loved my DEPENDS, though even they weren't enough at times. 

And really, who on earth came up with the spelling for DIARRHEA. I do believe mine is actually the English spelling, but I bet the American spelling is just as crazy. 

Sue - Trubrit

Diarrhea

I had been using Imodium. It worked well but Dr put me on cholestyramine. It works quite well. No more diarrhea. Yes we Americans spell it the same way. Makes no sense. Done don't need depends anymore. Just a pad. When I wear white I wear depends just in case. before I had cancer I had my IBS under control. Now my colon does not act right. Just because I had my cecum, ileum,& ascending colon out.

• Trubrit
    Options
    Incha1 said:

Diarrhea

I had been using Imodium. It worked well but Dr put me on cholestyramine. It works quite well. No more diarrhea. Yes we Americans spell it the same way. Makes no sense. Done don't need depends anymore. Just a pad. When I wear white I wear depends just in case. before I had cancer I had my IBS under control. Now my colon does not act right. Just because I had my cecum, ileum,& ascending colon out.

There, I had a chemo brain moment

Or maybe I have just lived in America too long. HA! 

In England we spell it DIARRHOEA.Even worse than the American spelling. 

Sue - Trubrit 

• Incha1
    Options
    lp1964 said:

Dear Friend,

I believe chemo brain or memory problems with chemo and cancer have two causes. One is the chemo's effect on the brain and probably no one knows why and how chemo does that. I personally only have issues remembering names and brand names. Everything else is the same. I'm 50 years old now.

The other part I would call "Cancer Brain". Once you find out you have cancer it puts and incredible load on your mental and emotional state. The health, insurance, financial, work related and relationship issues are very serious when you have cancer. These inevitably make your brain more occupied non-stop and you are distracted from your normal daily duties, you are scattered and forgetful. I am almost 2 years cancer free and with pretty good prognosis, but there is not an hour I don't think of or worry about cancer or things related to it. 

As far as the bowel issues there are two things you can do. Diet and medication. They say banana, toast, dark chocolate and rise make your stool thicker. Avoid too much sugar, white flour and salt. They draw water into your intestines and cause bloating and looser stool.

I forgot the last thing. (just kidding!)

Laz

Diarrhea bloating

Thanks. I will avoid sugar, white flour, salt

• Incha1
    Options
    Trubrit said:

H*** yes!

I am two years out from treatment, and I definitely have Chemo Brain. 

I wish I could post videos here. Just recently, I was recording a video blog. I started the video saying 'Today I am....' and then my brain went blank (which is how my Chemo barin affects me). I then said....right there on the video 'Am I 25 or 26?'.  Then a pause, and thats when it hit me, I'm FIFTY SEVEN AND A HALF.

At first I found it very disturbing but now I am getting used to it. 

How it affects me, as I said, is that I go blank. I forget words, and I find I look into the air or stare. I do warn people that this happens, but of course, there are others around me who don't know the problem, and just think I'm losing it. 

Maybe I am losing it. 

I did have one lady say to me 'Do you blame everything on the Chemo?'. I confess, I was somewhat hurt and a little offended. 

A hearty welcome to the forum. Stay around, we can help you through this, and we're always up for new friends, though we wish folks didn't have to join our little club.

Sue - Trubrit

Chemo Brain & Diarrhea

Thanks so much.

• Incha1
    Options
    Trubrit said:

There, I had a chemo brain moment

Or maybe I have just lived in America too long. HA! 

In England we spell it DIARRHOEA.Even worse than the American spelling. 

Sue - Trubrit 

Diarrhea

I think the American spelling is easier. Although I think there is a better way of spelling it .

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    DD3 said:

I had

to chime in here.  My wife was diagnosed with CRC at the ripe ole age of 45.  About 2 1/2 years out of treatment. 

Chemo brain.... Yes.  I've noticed a change in her ability to "pick" a word out she would like to use.  Or... forgetting something... Although it doesn't affect her everyday ability to function at all.  Even she says she has chemo brain too.  She has always been the intelligent one out of the two of us.  Hell, still is.  After this journey we went through together... yes, I believe chemo brain is real.  I have no clinical study to back it up, just our experience together. 

Bowel movements... Boy that is a whole other subject.  Tongue Out

I've also noticed thaqt I

I've also noticed thaqt I sometimes tell the same story twice. Usually I catch myself as soon as I start but not always. I didn't expect to deal with that for another twenty years or so. And, oddly, I have an isue remembering my age, too. If it comes up I'll say I'm 52 but quite often as soon as I say it I have to do a quick calculation in my head to make sure. One time I also forgot how old my daughter is. I only have one child so it's not like I have several to remember. She's 26.

She seems to think my memory is better regarding things that have happened. I don't know...

• MAliceR
    MAliceR Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Scrabble...lots and lots of Scrabble

I experienced chemo brain through both my treatments. I was working full time the first time around and found it very challenging at times to be facilitating a meeting and all of a sudden lost a word or even the whole subject. I got really good at going into a situation with everything written down so I could find myself again if necessary. It did get better a few months after treatment. The 2nd time around, it happened again, this time I was retired so while I didn't have the work related issue, it was still upsetting. So my husband and I started playing scrabble. Lots and lots of scrabble. We kept a game going all the time and it became a challenge to come up with new and bigger words. I think it helped. I also made sure to read a lot and get some exercise every day. It seemed to help. Now a year after completing my last treatment, I am finding my difficulties are fewer and fewer and honestly am not sure it is left over chemo brain or just nearing 60. People laugh at chemo brain, but it is very real and should be considered as part of the treatment, along with your emotional health and well being as you deal with cancer, treatment and everything that goes along with it. I found seeing a counselor helped and a year later still is helping. 

Hang in there, if it gets too difficult, be sure to tell your Dr. Do anything you can to keep your mind working and recognize that cancer treatment is hard on the body. I think emotionally it takes on a life of its own. Take it a minute, hour and day at a time. 

As to the other part, I have no idea about that other then to make sure you and your Dr are commuicating about it. I was fortunate not have had any diarrhea issues. Even through chemo I had very little trouble in that area, usually one day during the 3 day infiusion). But that said, I am a vegetarian, live on all natural goods and eat nothing processed, no artificial sweetners, etc. I try to stay away from any refined sugars or flours. I started this eating pattern after my first bowel surgery (they removed 8 1/2 inches of colon) and have never gone back. I think it helped. My Dr seems to think it helped keep my immune system stable and my blood work up during treatment. 14 months of chemo (8 months the first time, 6 the 2nd) and only 1 blood work delay during the first 8 months, none duing the 2nd 6 months. 

Good luck to you. Hope you find what you need to get through treatment with the least side effects possible. Keep your commuication with your Dr going, he/she can't help you if you don't tell them what you are experiencing. 

Blessings...

MAlice

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Use spellcheck.

I have permanent neuropathy and I had this conversation with my doctor. "So you feel my peripheral nerves are permanently damaged, is that right?" My doc says, "yes, unfortunately I think that's the case." To which I say, "Isn't my brain made up of a bunch of nerves and doesn't that mean..." And he finishes my sentence and says "yes you have permanent brain damage!"

Lol, well I guess it's better than being dead! It's actually quite convenient in arguments with my wife, I play the cancer card all the time. The only diarrhea I have is the verbal kind : )

Easyflip/Richard

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I Am Getting It

This round seems to have really kicked in.  I feel I am repeating myself and without a doubt forgetting words and people's names.  The other day I was discussing baseball, and I stopped when I could not get the player's name out before remembering, felt liked I paused for hours.  We were discussing Hall Of Fame players and different things and I forgot Ted William's name.  Next thing I will be looking at my driver's license for my name :)  Also seems to be worse if I am tired.  The other day I know I had conversations and thought I was making sense, but I have a feeling things just kept on coming out wrong.  For me it is more verbal and conversation, typing has not hit me quite as bad.

Coming out of the last round, meaning about 6 days out of disconnect and feeling better today finally.  

• John212
    John212 Member Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    NewHere said:

I Am Getting It

This round seems to have really kicked in.  I feel I am repeating myself and without a doubt forgetting words and people's names.  The other day I was discussing baseball, and I stopped when I could not get the player's name out before remembering, felt liked I paused for hours.  We were discussing Hall Of Fame players and different things and I forgot Ted William's name.  Next thing I will be looking at my driver's license for my name :)  Also seems to be worse if I am tired.  The other day I know I had conversations and thought I was making sense, but I have a feeling things just kept on coming out wrong.  For me it is more verbal and conversation, typing has not hit me quite as bad.

Coming out of the last round, meaning about 6 days out of disconnect and feeling better today finally.  

The Splendid Splinter

I've had numerous episodes of Chemo Brain over the last year or so since I started chemo. It will be one year from my last treatment by the end of this week, and I'm still getting foggy moments, even foggy days occasionally. I am also finding that I am forgetful in other ways besides being unable to quickly retrieve just the exact word, and I'd just as soon blame that on the Chemo Brain as on anything else.

Couldn't help but think though, in reading your post, that only a Yankees or Mets fan would ever forget the name of the greatest baseball player to ever live. :GRIN: Even better than DiMaggio - and I know those are likely fighting words.

• Trubrit
    Options
    John212 said:

The Splendid Splinter

I've had numerous episodes of Chemo Brain over the last year or so since I started chemo. It will be one year from my last treatment by the end of this week, and I'm still getting foggy moments, even foggy days occasionally. I am also finding that I am forgetful in other ways besides being unable to quickly retrieve just the exact word, and I'd just as soon blame that on the Chemo Brain as on anything else.

Couldn't help but think though, in reading your post, that only a Yankees or Mets fan would ever forget the name of the greatest baseball player to ever live. :GRIN: Even better than DiMaggio - and I know those are likely fighting words.

Brain lapse

I had several brain lapses today, at work. 

It was awful! It was as though I could see the word, bouncing in front of my eyes, but I could not grasp it with my mouth. My poor boss! He was so patient with me. I hope it doesn't wear thin. 

Sue - Trubrit

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    John212 said:

The Splendid Splinter

Time To Throw Down :)

It is funny I was able to remember the Splendid Splinter at the time, but was chemo'd out.  So was confused and tried to remember to get his real name on the off chance my confusion also was on the name Splendid Splinter.  Because somehow that was also wrong. 

As to Williams, he was okay ;) But DiMaggio was better.:)  And of course with Ruth and The Iron Horse, at best he is #3 on the list ;)  (I am a baseball junkie, and though I am die hard Yankees Fan, my Dad raised me also to love the game in general.  He would not approve if I ever deemed to diss Williams.  He also told me how Dom was really good for the Sox.)

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm never sure

whether to blame  my memory lapses on chemo brain or old age. Frankly, I like  being able to blame them on chemo instead of admitting  to "senior moments."  It's as though my  brain has turned into Swiss cheese lately; words and names  sometimes seem to slip though  holes in my brain and float around in space, sometimes returning, sometimes lost  forever. Then  there are the times, like yesterday,  when I  glanced down at my feet while waiting for  my Neupogen shot in the clininc waiting room, and saw that I was wearing  odd shoes- one black clog and one brown sandal. Chemo brain had struck again! Embarassed