Carcinoma in kidney to pancreas

Bonzy
Bonzy Member Posts: 17
edited June 2015 in Kidney Cancer #1

I was wonder if ccrc can go to your pancreas . I had my left kidney removed 7mos ago.Had set of scans done the end of March . Having pain on rightside , went to GI doctor had scan and they found a cyst in my pancreas . Have to go for an endo/eus now . They are still watching a nodule on my lung . But can carcinoma go to your pancreas ? I was diagnosed with T3a Pnx grade 3 with kidney . And why didn't the scan in March see the cyst ? Had gallbladder removed a year ago . It's just crazy that they can't do one scan and see it all. Thanks for any input !

Bonita

Comments

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    To answer your question:

To answer your question:  Yes, RCC can go to the pancreas.  It is one of the least common places for mets.  The most frequent mets location is lung, and then bone.  

As for why it wasn't seen:  it can depend on the type of scan, whether or not contrast was used, very small spots don't show up until they are a certain size, and unfortunately it could have just been missed.  

im sorry you have this worry right now.  You look so young to be dealing with these health issues.  Try not to draw conclusions that you have a met.  it might be something totally benign.

I do advise that you have copies of all scans and reports, and that you involve your oncologist in everything regarding your health.   You are being seen right now by a GI doctor, but you will benefit greatly by keeping the oncology team part of your team.

I hope further testing has good results for you.

annie

• HH431
    HH431 Member Posts: 41
    a_oaklee said:

To answer your question:

To answer your question:  Yes, RCC can go to the pancreas.  It is one of the least common places for mets.  The most frequent mets location is lung, and then bone.  

As for why it wasn't seen:  it can depend on the type of scan, whether or not contrast was used, very small spots don't show up until they are a certain size, and unfortunately it could have just been missed.  

im sorry you have this worry right now.  You look so young to be dealing with these health issues.  Try not to draw conclusions that you have a met.  it might be something totally benign.

I do advise that you have copies of all scans and reports, and that you involve your oncologist in everything regarding your health.   You are being seen right now by a GI doctor, but you will benefit greatly by keeping the oncology team part of your team.

I hope further testing has good results for you.

annie

I have a 4 mm polyp on my

I have a 4 mm polyp on my gallbladder that will not show on the ctscan, but shows on the ultrasound.  Some organs are better for certain xrays.

Pancreatic cysts are typically not cancerous.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pancreatic-cysts/basics/definition/con-20024331

• cubsfan9
    cubsfan9 Member Posts: 69 Member
    In answer to your question, yes

Good Morning, Bonita!

In answer to your question, yes, kidney cancer can spread to the pancreas.  This is  not a 'common' location, but it does happen.  That being said, you called it a "cyst".  So, it may not be cancer at all!!  I'm sure that the endoscopy will answer some questions for you.  DO keep on top of things by getting CT scans regularly...what regular means will vary, depending on what is/isn't found.  Mets to the lungs are common, so make sure they monitor the nodule, bearing in mind that nodules in the lungs also have many causes and are not always cancerous.

FYI...my husband has mets to his pancreas and has had suspicious spots in his lungs monitored for years.  Sutent has been used to shrink the pancreatic tumor and the lungs have stayed stable and/or shown some shrinkage.  We still don' t know for sure about the lungs, but oncol feels as long as they don't grow that we 'watch and wait'. 

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    cubsfan9 said:

In answer to your question, yes

Good Morning, Bonita!

In answer to your question, yes, kidney cancer can spread to the pancreas.  This is  not a 'common' location, but it does happen.  That being said, you called it a "cyst".  So, it may not be cancer at all!!  I'm sure that the endoscopy will answer some questions for you.  DO keep on top of things by getting CT scans regularly...what regular means will vary, depending on what is/isn't found.  Mets to the lungs are common, so make sure they monitor the nodule, bearing in mind that nodules in the lungs also have many causes and are not always cancerous.

FYI...my husband has mets to his pancreas and has had suspicious spots in his lungs monitored for years.  Sutent has been used to shrink the pancreatic tumor and the lungs have stayed stable and/or shown some shrinkage.  We still don' t know for sure about the lungs, but oncol feels as long as they don't grow that we 'watch and wait'. 

Hello,
    sorry about

Hello,

sorry about uncertainty you are facing. 

You've mentioned that the cyst was not seen in March. Maybe it was seen, but simply was not mentioned in scan description.

my boyfriend had the same situation - during first follow up cyst "appeared" on liver. Of course we were worried about mets, because previous scans didn't mention any cysts. When a second opinion was requested about those previous scans, doctors said that the cyst is seen on them too. It was simply not mentioned in description, as smth definitely benign and of no clinical importance. 

Could this be your case too? Cyst always present, but sometimes not described?

• Bonzy
    Cyst in pancreas

thank you all for your input . I see my kidney doctor tomorrow. Allochka,I'm going to ask him about the scan to see if it was there On his, and tell him about the GI's finding . Anne right now I'm not seeing an oncologist. I did a few weeks after I had my kidney removed , but he said he didn't need to see me again at this point. My kidney doctor doesn't know I went to see a GI doctor neither. This whole think is starting confuse me . They say they have a plan but then know one follows through with it. I have been due for a scan with kidney doctor but no date set . So I don't no if the one in the lung has changed . I have a lot of pain under the left shoulderblade where the nodule was found . Cubsfan9 I agree with you on having the scans .I have two doctors doing sacns and one doesn't know about the other at this point . I would like to see one doctor, because I'm also worried about having to many scans . HH431, it is confusing about what scans to have , so it really would make sense to have just one doctor over seeing things . Its crazy !! thanks again for listening :-)))

Bonita

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Bonzy said:

Cyst in pancreas

thank you all for your input . I see my kidney doctor tomorrow. Allochka,I'm going to ask him about the scan to see if it was there On his, and tell him about the GI's finding . Anne right now I'm not seeing an oncologist. I did a few weeks after I had my kidney removed , but he said he didn't need to see me again at this point. My kidney doctor doesn't know I went to see a GI doctor neither. This whole think is starting confuse me . They say they have a plan but then know one follows through with it. I have been due for a scan with kidney doctor but no date set . So I don't no if the one in the lung has changed . I have a lot of pain under the left shoulderblade where the nodule was found . Cubsfan9 I agree with you on having the scans .I have two doctors doing sacns and one doesn't know about the other at this point . I would like to see one doctor, because I'm also worried about having to many scans . HH431, it is confusing about what scans to have , so it really would make sense to have just one doctor over seeing things . Its crazy !! thanks again for listening :-)))

Bonita

Different scan equipment,

Different scan equipment, different radiologists, different people interpreting the scans, it's bound to happen that there will be different results. If possible try to find an oncologist who will monitor all your issues: lung, kidney, etc., so he or she sends you to the same place for scans or at least receives all the results in once place. Just because your first oncologist said you don't need to see him anymore doesn't mean there aren't others who would see you. One with expertise in RCC would be the best. You could also have all your scans sent to your kidney doctor.

• Bonzy
    APny said:

Different scan equipment,

Different scan equipment, different radiologists, different people interpreting the scans, it's bound to happen that there will be different results. If possible try to find an oncologist who will monitor all your issues: lung, kidney, etc., so he or she sends you to the same place for scans or at least receives all the results in once place. Just because your first oncologist said you don't need to see him anymore doesn't mean there aren't others who would see you. One with expertise in RCC would be the best. You could also have all your scans sent to your kidney doctor.

Oncologist trouble sleepingand trouble sleeping

APny , thanks ! You are right , I'm going to find a new oncologist . I see my kidney doctor today and I'm going to talk to him about finding a new one . i have so much anxiety lately

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Bonzy said:

APny , thanks ! You are right , I'm going to find a new oncologist . I see my kidney doctor today and I'm going to talk to him about finding a new one . i have so much anxiety lately

Hope your kidney doc can

Hope your kidney doc can help. If not, just Google ones in your area then see if they take new patients. You're bound to find one.

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Bonzy said:

Bonzy.  All of these doctors

Bonzy.  All of these doctors can be intimidating, to say the least.  It took my husband and i awhile to find our voices.  We were persistent in what we wanted.  They wouldnt remove my husbands kidney.  We went to another medical center with surgeons and oncologists that agreed with us.

I really think you need an oncologist coordinating your care.  For awhile our family practice doctor coordinated everything.  They see the whole picture.  But, we dont do anything without checking it out first with the oncologist.

Get copies of anything you have done.  Scans, lab reports.  Take them with you to all appointments.  It would be great if you could get the copy for todays appointment.  You would be surprised at the information in reports that doctors just dont mention.  

Good luck to you today.  Be politely persistent.  If you dont think you are being listened to, find another doctor.

Annie

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Bonzy said:

Followup

Your scans would be best done at the same place, preferably a place that sees a lot of cancer. If you have a national cancer center nearby, get them done there. They want to compare scan to scan for changes over time to see if anything grows. Radiologists that see a lot of cancer are better at picking things up.

You may have found an oncologist that isn't interested in RCC. It's not a typical cancer. Find another oncologist and tell them you want them to help you coordinate your followup scan schedule. If you can find an oncologist that has experience in RCC, they should know the recommended scan types and frequency. I don't remember your stage/type, but you can find these recommendations yourself. I've posted a link previously on here to a document from the national cancer institute that has recommendations for followups. Generally speaking you should be getting CTs of the chest/abdomen/pelvis at least every 6 months for 3 years then annually to 5 years (and everybody I know that has had RCC would want to get annually from then on.)

If you can't find a medical oncologist with experience in RCC, a second choice would be a urologic oncologist (not a regular urologist) to follow you.

If your doctor doesn't know anyone, do your own research and find one. If you can let us know where you live, we can recommend someone. Another way to find them, is to go into the national database for drug trials and search for drug trials on RCC, then look for particpating hospitals/doctors. Find the doctor closest to you listed as the contact for the drug trial. They are almost always a doctor doing research in RCC. You can also google university medical schools/hospitals near you, or look for national cancer centers near you.

Wishing you the best,

Todd

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    todd121 said:

Followup

Your scans would be best done at the same place, preferably a place that sees a lot of cancer. If you have a national cancer center nearby, get them done there. They want to compare scan to scan for changes over time to see if anything grows. Radiologists that see a lot of cancer are better at picking things up.

You may have found an oncologist that isn't interested in RCC. It's not a typical cancer. Find another oncologist and tell them you want them to help you coordinate your followup scan schedule. If you can find an oncologist that has experience in RCC, they should know the recommended scan types and frequency. I don't remember your stage/type, but you can find these recommendations yourself. I've posted a link previously on here to a document from the national cancer institute that has recommendations for followups. Generally speaking you should be getting CTs of the chest/abdomen/pelvis at least every 6 months for 3 years then annually to 5 years (and everybody I know that has had RCC would want to get annually from then on.)

If you can't find a medical oncologist with experience in RCC, a second choice would be a urologic oncologist (not a regular urologist) to follow you.

If your doctor doesn't know anyone, do your own research and find one. If you can let us know where you live, we can recommend someone. Another way to find them, is to go into the national database for drug trials and search for drug trials on RCC, then look for particpating hospitals/doctors. Find the doctor closest to you listed as the contact for the drug trial. They are almost always a doctor doing research in RCC. You can also google university medical schools/hospitals near you, or look for national cancer centers near you.

Wishing you the best,

Todd

Googling doctors

Medical oncologists usually are internal medicine doctors, and/or have studied hematology. So look for words like oncology, hematology, internal medicine.

• Time2luv
    Time2luv Member Posts: 49
    Mine started in right kidney,

Mine started in right kidney, then went to left kidney, then to pancreas now in both lungs!

Pancreas surgery was VERY rough for me but I survived! I had a pancratic attack day before I was to be released from hospital and that is what was so rough. Don't wish an attack on anyone. It was horrible!

But we are suvivors and fighters. Hang in there. Do your research and the post here have really helped me to know what I might expect.

Interlukin 2 treatment April 2014 for a week. Had to quit due to side effects. Votrient now, doing well with that. Scan on 13th to see how good it is doing!