Xeloda

Dyanclark
Dyanclark Member Posts: 296
edited June 2015 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Had to post this for everyone's information.  Should you ever start with lots of Diareahhrea On Xeloda let Dr. Know and be aggressive in getting it under control.  George has been in the hospital 12 days now.  Complications from Xeloda.  Explosive Diareahhrea.  He has no active Cancer, but is on maitenance Chemo.  This almost killed him, all his potassium, magnesium, and white cells went dangerously low.  It was pretty sudden.   Nothing will work to stop this diareahhrea.  They have a shot I will put name of shot up later, it works almost immediately.  Lomotil, imodium, doesn't even phase this side affect.  He Will be doing the Oxy pump since this chemo does not go thru digestive trac.  This shot is given in hospital 3x a day, no side affects but pharmacy does not stock this, shot is given into stomach.

He is due to come home Tomorrow or Wednesday

Hugs, George & Diane

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Oh dear!

I am so sorry to hear this, Diane. Poor hubby! I do so hope that he has improved enough to go home in the next couple of days.

He must be terribly drained, and home is the best place for recovery. 

Thinking of you both.

Sue - Trubrit

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    I am so sorry!

Poor George! I hope he's able to come home soon and they get it under control. Good luck!

Thank for letting us know about this. So far my brother hasn't been on that chemo.

Lin

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Sorry to hear this...

I've been on Xeloda (2150mg 2x per day for 7 days, then 7 days off) since Dec 2014 and have not had it bad. After my first "attack" I started to take my doseage with 1 immodium (as a chaser) and it kept things under control.

I know we all react differently, I hope that things turn for the better and it's under control.
    -p

• Dyanclark
    Dyanclark Member Posts: 296
    PhillieG said:

Sorry to hear this...

I've been on Xeloda (2150mg 2x per day for 7 days, then 7 days off) since Dec 2014 and have not had it bad. After my first "attack" I started to take my doseage with 1 immodium (as a chaser) and it kept things under control.

I know we all react differently, I hope that things turn for the better and it's under control.
    -p

Imodium

Phil:  sounds like a very smart thing you have done that.  He can never have Xeloda again.  He has been on it for 2 years, had just changed from 2000 to 3000.  Still in hospital.

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Dyanclark said:

Imodium

Phil:  sounds like a very smart thing you have done that.  He can never have Xeloda again.  He has been on it for 2 years, had just changed from 2000 to 3000.  Still in hospital.

Learning the Ropes

I've been at this for a very long time. I learned what worked for me and stuck to it. I hope that George feels better soon.