anyone heard from jcortney?

joannaw81
joannaw81 Member Posts: 185 Member

I don't think he posted in awhile....Hope you are ok my friend.

Comments

• KareGiver
    KareGiver Member Posts: 301 Member
    Yes,

Another friend on our minds...

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Last time for Joe was April 26th

It's been a month sence he signed on, April 26th. Don't know if he posted or not. I hope Joe just has been busy and is doing fine. Now we're thinking about so many and wondering? Might have to make a new post just so everyone can check in..........

Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I was thinking of Joe

the other day, too...hoping someone has developed a "keeping in touch" relationship with him. 

p

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

I was thinking of Joe

the other day, too...hoping someone has developed a "keeping in touch" relationship with him. 

p

hoping to hear

Hoping to hear good news for Joe. He will be in my prayers tonight.

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    Not better, but not worse either....

I've had two CT's since my last post.  The first showed growth on both the tumor on the bottom of my tongue (inoperable and can't be radiated) and on the mets in my lungs.  Oncologist (and I) decided that Carbo and Erbitux had stopped working and he switched (thank goodness, I've had enough of Erbiutux) me to methotraxiate.  After 8 weeks on the new (very old actually) drug my last CT showed no growth at all.  We are hopeful that the next scan will show it shrinking, and I think it will.  I'm kind of lucky (probably not the right word) that the tumor on my tongue produces systems that can be tracked.  It has wound itself around the muscle and had my tongue pretty bound up.  At it's worst, my tongue was pointed all the way toward my right cheek and I would bit it every time I ate.  Now, it points almost straight and I very rarely have a biting issue.  Also, my speech was pretty impaired as I would slur most of my words, that's about 75% better (I only have trouble with G's now :)).

On Tuesday of next week I'm traveling to MD Andersen to see the very first Oncologist I saw when I was diagnosed.  He is about to start a PD-1 - PD-1L trial and I want to see if I qualify.  My Onc here in Dallas will probably get the same trial, I'm just hedging my bets.  The problem with these trials is they require a "cure" period.  That means 28 days of no chemo drugs of any kind.  If my next scan shows shrinkage, I'll be hard pressed to take the risk.  From everything I've read, these drugs should hit the commercial market in 2017.  So, shrinkage might mean waiting and no trial.  It's a bit of a conundrum.

The good news is I've finally started to gain weight and eating is not the almost impossible chore it was a few months ago.  I'm still committed to the "quality of life" commitment I made to myself.  If the tumor gets out of control (the tongue is game stopper not the lungs, believe it or not) and I can't eat or communicate easily, I'll need to make some harsh decisions.

Thanks everyone for caring.  You can't imagine how much that means to me.

Joe

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103 Member
    jcortney said:

I've had two CT's since my last post.  The first showed growth on both the tumor on the bottom of my tongue (inoperable and can't be radiated) and on the mets in my lungs.  Oncologist (and I) decided that Carbo and Erbitux had stopped working and he switched (thank goodness, I've had enough of Erbiutux) me to methotraxiate.  After 8 weeks on the new (very old actually) drug my last CT showed no growth at all.  We are hopeful that the next scan will show it shrinking, and I think it will.  I'm kind of lucky (probably not the right word) that the tumor on my tongue produces systems that can be tracked.  It has wound itself around the muscle and had my tongue pretty bound up.  At it's worst, my tongue was pointed all the way toward my right cheek and I would bit it every time I ate.  Now, it points almost straight and I very rarely have a biting issue.  Also, my speech was pretty impaired as I would slur most of my words, that's about 75% better (I only have trouble with G's now :)).

On Tuesday of next week I'm traveling to MD Andersen to see the very first Oncologist I saw when I was diagnosed.  He is about to start a PD-1 - PD-1L trial and I want to see if I qualify.  My Onc here in Dallas will probably get the same trial, I'm just hedging my bets.  The problem with these trials is they require a "cure" period.  That means 28 days of no chemo drugs of any kind.  If my next scan shows shrinkage, I'll be hard pressed to take the risk.  From everything I've read, these drugs should hit the commercial market in 2017.  So, shrinkage might mean waiting and no trial.  It's a bit of a conundrum.

The good news is I've finally started to gain weight and eating is not the almost impossible chore it was a few months ago.  I'm still committed to the "quality of life" commitment I made to myself.  If the tumor gets out of control (the tongue is game stopper not the lungs, believe it or not) and I can't eat or communicate easily, I'll need to make some harsh decisions.

Joe

Thank you

Thank you for posting.  I know I read posts daily but only respond when I have something to add.  Glad to hear shrinkage.  I am on Taxol weekly and it is doing the trick for now.  I do experience fatigue and not much of an appetite.  Glad to hear that you are looking into MDA.  Stay in touch.

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    jcortney said:

Joe

Your post

Joe, you have definitely been through a rough patch lately.   I'm really glad your tongue seems to at least be behaving and pointing the right direction.  With all the other crap you have been through I can't imagine biting your tongue with ever bite you take.   That's painful enough without all the side effects of everything else you are going through.  Putting some weight back on should help as well.  

Good luck with the visit to Houston/MD Anderson.   You deserve a break so we'll all be keeping you in our thought and prayers.   sounds like you will have some choices to make in the near future and like I always tell my son, options are good.   With options there are choices. Being able to weigh all options and the make an informed choice that's best for you, your family and your personal situation, is a good thing.  

i live in the Dallas (McKinney actually).   If I could ever do anything for you just give me a shout.   Just PM me   

Good luck with the Dr visit and please keep us posted.

keith

• wmc
    jcortney said:

Joe

Joe....Thank you

The search party has come through and found you. Glad for the good news and very glad is has not gotten any worse. Phrannie posted some good news you might want to read:  A quarter of the 132 patients who received the drug, Keytruda (pembrolizumab), saw their tumors shrink by at least 30 percent. Fifty-six percent of patients experienced at least some tumor shrinkage in the ongoing single drug Phase I study dubbed Keynote-012, researchers reported. Something to look into as well. I do understand Quality, but I also pray for both, Quality and Quanity to go together. Know you are in our thoughts and prayers as well. NGU  [Never Give Up]

Bill

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    We are all so unique. What

We are all so unique. What works for one, isn't the cure for another. I am amazed at how quickly different treatments have been coming to the market. There is so much hope. You are on my prayer list. 

• jcortney
    Thought I'd add

Something I did just to make me smile:

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    jcortney said:

Thought I'd add

Yeaaa on stabilization of

the tumors.....ya gotta stop them to reverse them....praying that shrinkage is in the near future! 

OMG...now THAT is some kind of car!!  Wow!  That made me smile.

p

• joannaw81
    joannaw81 Member Posts: 185 Member

Yeaaa on stabilization of

the tumors.....ya gotta stop them to reverse them....praying that shrinkage is in the near future! 

OMG...now THAT is some kind of car!!  Wow!  That made me smile.

p

thank you for posting

So happy to hear from you and so happy you are doing ok. Never give up, positive thinking is very important! nice auto by the way :)

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    jcortney said:

Thought I'd add

Nice!

Nice!

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    KB56 said:

Nice!

Nice!

Joe

Good for you! Beautiful vette. I had a couple when I was younger, i recall how fun they were to drive. When I sold my last one because it was getting harder to get in and out of, my sister said you dont get in a Corvette, you put it on and wear it. Enjoy!

Sounds like you have some promising things happening with your tongue and lung. Hopefully your visit to MDA will add to that.

Stay in touch, lots of people here that care about you.

God bless,

Candi

• wmc
    jcortney said:

Thought I'd add

Sweet Ride...............

Now that IS a SWEET RIDE. I'm glad for you, I had a 1975 Stingray and loved it to drive.

Bill

• jcortney
    hwt said:

Joe

Good for you! Beautiful vette. I had a couple when I was younger, i recall how fun they were to drive. When I sold my last one because it was getting harder to get in and out of, my sister said you dont get in a Corvette, you put it on and wear it. Enjoy!

Sounds like you have some promising things happening with your tongue and lung. Hopefully your visit to MDA will add to that.

Stay in touch, lots of people here that care about you.

God bless,

Candi

My wife's girlfriend refers

My wife's girlfriend refers to it as the "penis" mobile.  I told her she was correct, that if she had one, she'd want one :)

What the hell, you can't take it with you <grin>

J.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,773 Member
    jcortney said:

Joe

Nice...

Yo, Joe! Thanks for checking in. A lot of us were wondering how you were getting along. So glad things are progressing for the better and QOL is improving too. Love the ride, kind of late to the mi-life crisis party but what the heck, you got a better reason. Enjoy! Don