Has anyone done a IV vitamin drip the day before chemo

lilpep1972
lilpep1972 Member Posts: 80

hello all

i hope everyone here had a chance to smile or laugh a little today because those two things are VERY IMPORTANT To our recovery

just the norm of everyday things takes me to a differnt place before my next round of chemo. Tomorrow I go for round 9 of my 12 

(Folfox& OXI cocktail) sessions. I know I read somewhere on this wonderful board about IV vitamin drips during chemo. I see a separate pain management DR outside of my ONC and he offers a vitamin drip to everyday patience in there battles against chemo pain an the destruction of the immune system we are all doing to ourselves during this wonderful gift of chemo we have been giving..

anywhooo can someone please give me some feedback on this? Does it work? 

Thanks.. Hugs to all in this fight.. We will win ! you just have to believe !!!

chris

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Nope!

Can't help you, Chris. 

I have read of others here who have had the Vit C infusion. I think I read just the other day, they said it made them feel as though they had a bit more energy, but not much else. 

Someone in the know will answer soon, I'm sure. 

Three more treatments after this one (yeah, don't say it. Its a mind game at this point) and you're done. WOOO HOOO! Be sure to come here and celebrate with us. 

Sue - trubrit

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    C

Most of the IV vitamin C experience on the internet and here is with 5FU compounds as sole official chemo, or occasionally, Folfiri.  IV vitamin C has many advanges with those chemotherapies.  We don't have experience with IV vit C + Folfox, so even hearing your doctor's claims and reasoning may be useful.  I have put up a number of posts about IV vitamin C + oral 5FU drug, uracil -tegaful.  LuvinLife2 posted favorably about Folfiri-IVC.

• lilpep1972
    Trubrit said:

Nope!

Can't help you, Chris. 

I have read of others here who have had the Vit C infusion. I think I read just the other day, they said it made them feel as though they had a bit more energy, but not much else. 

Someone in the know will answer soon, I'm sure. 

Three more treatments after this one (yeah, don't say it. Its a mind game at this point) and you're done. WOOO HOOO! Be sure to come here and celebrate with us. 

Sue - trubrit

Thank you :)

Yessssss 3 more after today.. Thank you soooo much Sue , i don't post a lot was never a person of many words but I do read a lot and you an everyone in this forum are very special people.. The love and encouragement I feel frm just reading your posts has helped me tremendously get thru this Roller coaster.. I hope one day I can thank yous enough.. Hope you smile and laugh lots today :):) 

thank you 

chris :) 

• lilpep1972
    tanstaafl said:

C

Most of the IV vitamin C experience on the internet and here is with 5FU compounds as sole official chemo, or occasionally, Folfiri.  IV vitamin C has many advanges with those chemotherapies.  We don't have experience with IV vit C + Folfox, so even hearing your doctor's claims and reasoning may be useful.  I have put up a number of posts about IV vitamin C + oral 5FU drug, uracil -tegaful.  LuvinLife2 posted favorably about Folfiri-IVC.

Thank you

I did look back at some of your posts, thank you.. i have two Dr 's  of which one is a friend who did the IV drip drip for me yesterday. Chemo session is today I did not tell my ONC about going to get the drip.. should I ???  i just wanted to see if I felt any better with the drip as to without it.. The last few sessions have really hit me hard.. Hope it works.. Thank you for your posts :) 

Chris :) 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member

Thank you

I did look back at some of your posts, thank you.. i have two Dr 's  of which one is a friend who did the IV drip drip for me yesterday. Chemo session is today I did not tell my ONC about going to get the drip.. should I ???  i just wanted to see if I felt any better with the drip as to without it.. The last few sessions have really hit me hard.. Hope it works.. Thank you for your posts :) 

Better safe

I would tell the Oncologist everything, and thus, suggest that you let him know that you had an infusion. 

Sue - Trubrit

• hippiechicks
    hippiechicks Member Posts: 509 Member

Thank you

You absolutely should tell

You absolutely should tell your oncologist. 

I was told that the Vit. C has not shown to harm/help anything if just doing chemo, but does have interaction with some other tx. (other than maybe energy, this is a vitiamin that will pass through urine if in excess)  In fact, I was told that it has actually hindered those using it with radiation. (this was told to me by an oncologist)

I was told maybe a multivitimin if you really want something.

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    tanstaafl said:

C

C

Vitamin C, both as history and therapeutic, is more complex than realized. Its antiviral and multiple supportive effects are easy to achieve at high doses. After 60+ years, most "regular" doctors still haven't read those simple instructions correctly.  Actual cancer inhibition and kill are more complex, and difficult. Different chemical combinations can turn cancer cell kill, "on" or "off". We use IV vitamin C to combat tissue breakdown like stomatitis, inflammation and cytokines, infection and sepsis, histamine driven allergy and fatigue, histamine driven VEGF-A, vitamin C depletion and pain, as well as a pick me up while killing some tumor cells in cidal combinations.     

I would view each schedule (time before, after, hours, days or weeks) and formulation (treatments, dosages and chemical combinations) separately and ask any oncologist the source of his views - published case histories, personal clinical experience and follow it up.  Unfortunately most medical views about IV vitamin C remain hearsay, speculation and profound misunderstanding where in fact there are few formal published trials. Many medical views contradict or misapply what data there are.   

For actual cancer kill credits, live tissue tests and/or extra blood tests might be most useful for individual guidance.