Help and Advice needed

Girl2
Girl2 Member Posts: 27
My dad has so far had 3 chemo sessions - oxyplatin and raltitrexed .surprisingly the neuropathy is not that bad but he has bad appetite issue dad lost a lot of weight and had now had fluids on 3 ocassions .

Is it common to get dehydrated where to bp and pulse drops too ?

I am
Very worried . He as no vomitting or dirrhea.
He is very bad with water as does not drink much !

Thx

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,428 Member
    Maybe, But Probably Not, But Cannot Say For Sure :)

I know, depending on where I am in my chemo cycle (with the first week or so more an issue), I do not drink or eat that much.  Plus with the reaction to cold drinks, or even room temperture, I often take real small sips and pretty sure not drinking enough.  Been drinking tea with honey and lemon the first week (hot tea), though it is probably better for herbal teas or other drinks which do not have caffiene, which can cause dehydration.  I am not nauseated, but really do not want to eat or drink.  I am fairly sure I am probably mildly dehydrated at points. 

In terms of dehydration, the body reacts in different ways to compensate and the compensation changes depedning on how far along/severe the dehydration.  A bit broad brush, but basically early dehydration should increase BP and pulse to compensate for less fluids in the circulatory system.  Later on the BP and pulse may decrease.  But that is starting to tend more to severe and there would be other signs.  Without knowing other things about your Dad, various questions to use in assessment, it is difficult to say.  I am not sure you mentioned how old your Dad is, but age also generally plays into dehydration.  Throw in chemo and the combinations, and that adds a new dimension.  

You should speak to the doctors about what may be causing it, how severe it is  and how to get ahead of it.  

• Girl2
    Girl2 Member Posts: 27
    NewHere said:

Maybe, But Probably Not, But Cannot Say For Sure :)

I know, depending on where I am in my chemo cycle (with the first week or so more an issue), I do not drink or eat that much.  Plus with the reaction to cold drinks, or even room temperture, I often take real small sips and pretty sure not drinking enough.  Been drinking tea with honey and lemon the first week (hot tea), though it is probably better for herbal teas or other drinks which do not have caffiene, which can cause dehydration.  I am not nauseated, but really do not want to eat or drink.  I am fairly sure I am probably mildly dehydrated at points. 

In terms of dehydration, the body reacts in different ways to compensate and the compensation changes depedning on how far along/severe the dehydration.  A bit broad brush, but basically early dehydration should increase BP and pulse to compensate for less fluids in the circulatory system.  Later on the BP and pulse may decrease.  But that is starting to tend more to severe and there would be other signs.  Without knowing other things about your Dad, various questions to use in assessment, it is difficult to say.  I am not sure you mentioned how old your Dad is, but age also generally plays into dehydration.  Throw in chemo and the combinations, and that adds a new dimension.  

You should speak to the doctors about what may be causing it, how severe it is  and how to get ahead of it.  

hi he's 67. He generally has

hi he's 67. He generally has never drank water much anyway and even on chemo a glass or 2 a day . So twice in for fluids and we getting very worried what's going on . Plus the weight loss without much food 

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,428 Member
    Girl2 said:

hi he's 67. He generally has

hi he's 67. He generally has never drank water much anyway and even on chemo a glass or 2 a day . So twice in for fluids and we getting very worried what's going on . Plus the weight loss without much food 

I am losing weight also

I am also losing weight and not eating much, more so during the first week.  It may be something where you may have to remind or encourage him to drink more, paritcularly if he was not one to drink much water to begin with.  During the chemo I am behaving the same way, not horribly nauseaous, but more not motivated to eat or drink.  I also think I am eating a lot (pigging out :) ) during my good weeks, but still dropping weight.  

Find some things that appeal to him on both the drink and food side.  Even when I am in my not hungry phase, I will have some ginger snaps or small muffins.  That breaks into my general apathy.  Also som general carbs like mac and cheese or pasta.  It is strange, but starting to eat a bit gets me to eat a bit more.  But without a doubt eating and drinking less overall, and weight loss seems to come with chemo.

Maybe some others have some tips for eating and drinking.

Try not to worry too much and ask the docs about what may help with the issues.  

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    NewHere said:

I am losing weight also

I am also losing weight and not eating much, more so during the first week.  It may be something where you may have to remind or encourage him to drink more, paritcularly if he was not one to drink much water to begin with.  During the chemo I am behaving the same way, not horribly nauseaous, but more not motivated to eat or drink.  I also think I am eating a lot (pigging out :) ) during my good weeks, but still dropping weight.  

Find some things that appeal to him on both the drink and food side.  Even when I am in my not hungry phase, I will have some ginger snaps or small muffins.  That breaks into my general apathy.  Also som general carbs like mac and cheese or pasta.  It is strange, but starting to eat a bit gets me to eat a bit more.  But without a doubt eating and drinking less overall, and weight loss seems to come with chemo.

Maybe some others have some tips for eating and drinking.

Try not to worry too much and ask the docs about what may help with the issues.  

I have been on chemo on and

I have been on chemo on and off now for over 9 years. The key is to eat what ever you can tolerate preferably high protein foods while on chemo and not feeling well. I also always made sure I ate as much as I could on the off week from chemo when I had an appetite and was feeling normal or close to normal.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I have been on chemo on and

I have been on chemo on and off now for over 9 years. The key is to eat what ever you can tolerate preferably high protein foods while on chemo and not feeling well. I also always made sure I ate as much as I could on the off week from chemo when I had an appetite and was feeling normal or close to normal.

Yes, when you're dehydrated

Yes, when you're dehydrated it can cause the BP to drop. I've had issues with dehydration ever since I got my ostemy.