Brand New Caretaker Seeking Advice

Hello All!

I'm sorry to have a reason to join this tribe, but I'm glad I'm here.

My husband was just diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer (mets to liver and peritoneum). It's so new and, frankly, screwed up that I don't even know the specific diagnosis yet. Asking his oncologist to write it in the notebook I'm keeping for him is at the top of my list.

I'm feeling overwhelmed. We are very young (we haven't even celebrated our first anniversary yet) and his treatment and disease will significantly alter the plans we had for our life together. He is in a lot of pain--which the doctors are trying to manage. We have a social worker on his care team and I'm going through the process of finding counseling, support groups, etc.

From a day-to-day home care point of view, what advice can you offer? What can I do to help him fight? What tips or tricks do you have for staying comfortable? Forgive me if this is too much information...what do you do to stay regular when every drug the doctor gives you makes you constipated? (My husband's doctor prescribed stool softeners that don't seem to be helping--am I weird to think "umm...well couldn't the "massive" tumor in his colon be doing this"?)

Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated. Greatly. Appreciated.

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Advice?

I don’t usually post anything anymore, but you asked for advice…. So here’s some from me.

Forget the oncologist and take hubby to an experienced Colorectal surgeon for his/her advice. Losing part or all of the colon isn’t a bad thing when it’s about saving your life. Using chemicals to shrink a tumor leaves cancer cells behind, while an experienced surgeon will remove anything that’s in question. The liver grows back, so operating to get the cancer out isn’t unusual.

If there’s a tumor in the colon that’s making it difficult to pass feces, it can eventually block all passage; there is nothing more painful that an intestinal blockage (trust me). A colorectal surgeon should be the one to provide all your answers and give you unbiased advice. Most oncologists aren’t as objective as colorectal surgeons….

Good luck.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,428 Member
    Welcome THL

Saw this post, but replied in the other thread first :)  Anyway, it is below and looks like some of it echos a bit of what John mentioned.  

#####

Sorry you have to be here, but this is a good board.  Tremendous amount of great people. 

Sometimes there are many things that seem ridiculous when discussing things about cancer - you will see the strange jokes, stories and people laughing.  Which can seem weird :)  I have a couple of friends who have been through this, and the second I became part of the club there is a certain change and not necessarily bad.  (Yes, that sound so strange indeed)  How the outlook on life and things actually can work to be a positive.  So bottom line on that, do no worry about things being off.

It is very good that you have a social worker, it is something you should make sure to use whenever you feel like it.  It is a tough time, so all the assistance and support helps.  

Your husband is young, which should be a plus.  I am a bit older (not quite two decades) but based on my general health the doctors are optimistic for me.  Until this little brouhaha, I did not take any medicine.  My oncologist said even if it progresses, no worries because of my health overall.  They will just go in and take care of it.  And it is not like they are sugar coating things along the way.  I ask the tough questions, want to know the stats and all the rest.  Of course stats vary from person to person and are even outdated a bit as each day passes in the advances in cancer treatment.  My case is IIIC and had many lymph nodes involved.  So in theory about 53% chance of 5 year survival, 60% chance of recurrance, 25%-30% chance of recurrance with chemo.  You (meaning any of us you) can dwell on those, but ultimately they should be background knowledge and not overwhelming or a daily concern.  

The course of treatment and getting answers to questions you have is the important part.

When I was diagnosed I went to two surgeons, one more as a first opinion, because I pretty much had my mind made up I was going to Sloan Kettering.  The first surgeon was a little iffy (seemed knew to this) and almost as afterthought considered a scan (PET) to see if chemo should be done before or after.  The second doctor (the one I used for surgery) immediately sent me for a scan that day to see whether chemo before was needed.  He was fairly certain that it would not be based on scans I bought in, but he wanted to make sure.

The scan came back as not needing chemo before hand, in his opinion.  The surgery report came back with clean margins around everything (good sign) and go to chemo.  (They are also monitoring other things which may be there in lungs, kidneys and liver, all too small).  I thought for sure when I had a post surgery PET scan I would be bumped to IV, but it came back still as IIIC for the time being.  And basically they all said that the course of treatment would not change regardless.

Anyway you may have picked up on discussions of ports - it is a relatively small surgery where it is put in to access the chemo.  Based on people here, and also discussions, it helps with getting chemo (no burned out veins) and also to draw blood.  Also check into the lidacaine cream (something I also found out here) to apply before the port is accessed.  Helps make it pretty much painless for the in and out of needles and chemo.

I am lucky in that the chemo pump I have works on a vaccuum and body heat, no batteries.  Based on other stories here, I lucked out.  It is quiet, no need to worry about batteries.  The biggest issue is that I do not sleep on my right side for a couple of days.  I wear the pump on the right and port is on the right.  So I just sleep on the left or my back.  

As to the chemo, it is not on my Top 10 things to do, but it is not the total horror show I envisioned.  It builds up over time, so this round (#5), I am a bit more tired for extra days.  Could be inertia a bit :)  But hanging on the couch and watching TV works fine.  Plus some naps.  About 7 days out of initial hook up (two week cycles) I am pretty good.  My oncologist also has me doing only 9 of the 12 sessions with the Ox due to the fact that the chances of neuorpathy increase after 9 by a lot, but the incremental part of having that for 3 more sessions in knocking out cancer is small compared to the risk of neuropathy.  He also has a couple of extra things that adds a % or two, like he wants me to have aspirin.

Talk through whatever concerns you have both here, and more importantly, with everyone involved with the treatment.  Do not let anyone dismiss the questions or concerns you or your husband may have.  There is nothing "dumb" or "stupid" or whatever other words that can be used.  I know I ask the same question a few times, sometimes with slightly different phrasing, to make sure I am understanding it and that the people are listening.  Take a notebook with your questions and answers if you like.  

As to fighting, live your lives.  You are young and have a ton of things down the road in the future to look forward to.  Want to see a movie?  Go.  Want to take a ride to look at scenary?  Go.  I am going out and shooting photos.  I love doing it. Even when I am tired (during the more tired part of the cycle) I go out and try to find a flower, a rabbit, a bird to take a photo of and work with the photos.  A couple of weeks ago I went to one of the Rangers Games and last week went out to watch the last game with some people in a bar.  (Though had to be careful with the cold drinks, just got disconnected a couple hours earlier :) I also was just drinking non-alchohol drinks.  Probably should have had a beer.:) )  

This week I have things to do every evening, playing it by ear.  Usually can go for a couple of hours and be fine.  Getting used to the pattern now after 5 sessions.  As mentioned, chemo and cancer were not on my Top 10 list of things to do, but so far it is more annoying than anything.  How is that for a ridiculous statement?  Sealed  

There are going to be times when you and your husband may get a bit down, it is bound to happen.  I have those moments during this.  Do not dwell there.  Let it happen, then say "screw it," and move on to the good things.

Hang in there, and use this board as often as you need to.  Good news, questions, posting silly jokes, venting, whatever.  Great people here.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your husband.  

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Sorry you

have to be here especially at this stage of your lives. Love does go a long ways towards quality of life so never forget you have that for each other. I'm a big advocate of surgically removing as much cancer as possible. The mets to the peritoneum are more problematic, have you looked into HIPEC? I would suggest a major cancer center like MD Anderson or Sloan Kettering, I like teaching hospitals. With a piece of tumor in hand you can genetically test it for KRAS and BRAF mutations, Lynch syndrome and if you send it to Foundation One (this might cost about 7500.00) it can be completely DNA sequenced for possible future breakthroughs. In fact, you may want to start looking around for clinical trials now. The stats for stage IV are grim but try not to dwell on them, they don't take into account new treatments and your husband is young and strong, stay positive.

People have written books about natural supplements and cures and they seem to generate a lot of controversy. I've honed my list down with research, gut feeling and common sense. I believe they can help and my western/eastern trained doctors don't know for sure but have approved my list as not harmful or interacting negatively with my western meds. I use Cannabis oil for symptoms and killing cancer. I'm stage IV too and currently NED (no evidence of disease.)  I want your hubby to join me! Good luck!!!

Easyflip/Richard

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    now is your chance

We moved decisively enough to change the story at the start.  Immediate 1600 mg Cimetidine, megavitamin D3 (we've used up to 30,000iu before surgery), lots of coQ10, fish oil, vitamin C and vitamin K2 (45+mg menatetrenone), and others from the LEF protocol during the 4 weeks before her surgery. This destroyed a lot of tumor mass for my wife with a massive immune response and antiangiogenic molecular assualt.  Her Peritoneal implants and mesenteric fat infiltrations were wiped out before surgery. The primary shrank and  the metastatic process appears to have stopped. Since then mild chemo+cimetidine and massive, carefully selected supplements in the adjuvant treatments. 

Most importantly, we had blood tests done for CEA and CA19-9 before surgery, and after.  Tests of 25-hydroxy-Vitamin D levels, ESR, hsCRP, LDH, and AFP were good moves too.

Read about the Life Extension treatment and preparation protocols for immediate "first aid" before surgery. We did even more than LEF with inexpensive supplements like coQ10 and vit C, D3, and K2.  My wife doesn't have chemo sick or cancer debility days. You CAN radically change the mCRC picture with careful, bold moves beyond "standard", with multimodal and metronomic approaches.  Homework pays off, and multiple consultations opinions can get better offers.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Welcome to the forum of hope

It always hurts my heart to hear of ones so young fighting the battle. But young, normally means healthy, and that goes an awful long way when you have Cancer. 

Allow yourself to be shocked and scared. Don't feel guilty, but don't let it overtake you either. The diagnosis of Cancer is like a little death. Life will never be the same again, but it can still be a good life. 

Allow your new husband to mourn the life that he has lost. He may very well get cranky, irritable, depressed, and its your job to stand by his side through all of it. Give him the space he needs to go throguh this process. Support, love, patience, all of those wonderful things. Just don't let him 'take it out' on you; which happens occasionally. 

Of course, I'm speaking from the point of view of the patient. There are lots of caregivers here, and they will have wonderful advice for you. 

Stage IV is no longer a death sentence. Many improvemnets have been made in the past few years. We all to know that we might succum to this disease, but its also important to know that he could live with this for many, many years, and as treatments conitnue to impove, he can beat it completely. 

Sue - Trubrit

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Well you say you feel

Well you say you feel overwhelmed, which is to be expected, but it sounds like you are on top of things and handling things very well!

The first few months are really hard and especially all of the beginning appointments when you are still learning what is going on.  Yes, the tumor could be and probably is causing the feeling of constipation.  My husband had the same problem - it started after diagnosis and continued until he had a couple chemo treaments and then the issue went away.  He did chemo first, some doctors do surgery first.

If you can get in quick for another opinion before things start, it's a good idea, though I understand not wanting to delay things.

Try to keep things as normal and fun as you can.  When we were at our lowest and he had no interest in any these support sites, I printed several stories of stage 4 long term survivors.  It helped him realize things wouldn't be easy, but he wouldn't be going anywhere right away.  If you search stage 4 survivors, you will find several threads. Unfortunately some of the folks that have posted, are no longer with is.  That is the hard part of these groups.  But there are folks living with the disease, in treatment for several years, or cured by surgery, etc.

Ask any questions you have, nothing is a silly question. 

• skeets1961
    skeets1961 Member Posts: 56
    First of all, i want to say

First of all, i want to say that i'm sorry about your husband's diagnosis.  We found out about DH's stage 4 cancer (that mets to lungs, liver & peritoneal) 7 months ago.  We as caregivers need to be strong for our loved ones and some days it is overwhelming.  I see a counselor and a psychiatrist (for meds) and it seems to help plus its a good place to let it all out and cry if you need to.  My DH (dear husband) has a lot of pain in his back and stomach.  He has morphine time released and for break through pain he has morphine that is immediate release.  if he takes it on a regular basis it seems to help but he doesn't like to feel groggy all of the time so he doesn't take it as prescribed.  He is 53.  

As far as being constipated, is he drinking plenty of liquids?  My DH has constant diarreah from the chemo mix he is taking.  So he has to take immodium AD.  

There are a lot of long term survivors on this board with good information and advice.  If you ever want to email me, feel free and i'll try to help.  I'm still somewhat of a newbie but trust me, you learn pretty fast when you are thrown into the ring.  I'v always worked in an office and since diagnosis, i've changed dressings on his surgery, take the chemo pump off every two weeks and change his illiostomy bag.  I never dreamed i'd be doing this but you do it for your love.  Keep in touch,

Edie