Trouble with Nutrition

Options

My father is having a terrible time getting any calories down during his chemo treatment. We are having to do nutritional shakes but he indicates he is too sick to his stomach to eat or drink anything. He has lost WAY too much weight. Any hints????

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Nutrition

My doctor was very proactive about addressing chemo side effects before they ever came up.  For nausea, she had me on a cocktail, but I can only remember zofran and emend.  I think there were two others as well.  Talk with your docs and hopefully, they'll figure out what works for your dad.  As  far as nutrition went, my doc wanted me to eat an egg every day.  It was easy to swallow and she wanted me to get the protein. Unfortunately, large weight losses are quite common as folks proceed through their treatment for EC.

Hope you find your solution,

Ed

• Grateful4Forum
    Grateful4Forum Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Marinol

Not sure what state you are in but many people have mentioned that prescription Marinol (in pill form) helped with their appetite tremendously.  

• radtraveller
    radtraveller Member Posts: 4
    Options

Nutrition

My doctor was very proactive about addressing chemo side effects before they ever came up.  For nausea, she had me on a cocktail, but I can only remember zofran and emend.  I think there were two others as well.  Talk with your docs and hopefully, they'll figure out what works for your dad.  As  far as nutrition went, my doc wanted me to eat an egg every day.  It was easy to swallow and she wanted me to get the protein. Unfortunately, large weight losses are quite common as folks proceed through their treatment for EC.

Hope you find your solution,

Ed

anti nausea

Compazine, phenegran and keep Zofran (under the tongue) for active vomiting.