Low platelets

jen2012
jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member

Well low platelets are causing a delay in treatment...3rd week.  He's only had folfiri once.

wondering what other docs use as a cutoff.  

Any thoughts on raising them?

his were 169 march 24 ...before folfiri

68 on 4/9

76 on 4/15

60 on 4/17

not sure what today's number was as we were out when the nurse left the "no chemo due to low platelets" message.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    I had low platelets

And if I remember rightly, there wasn't much I could do to raise them. No foods or drinks. I just had to sit it out until they climbed back up into range. 

Still, I don't think it hurts to eat as healthy a diet as possible. I swear food, healthy, natural food, can go a long way toward helping many of our ailments. 

Good luck!

Sue - Trubrit

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    hi

Hey Jen,

Rick and I went through this so many times that I have the platelet count memorized - and that's if it fell between 75 and 100, his chemo would be canceled. 

Best wishes always my friend, 

Cynthia

• northa914
    northa914 Member Posts: 100
    Try using organic papaya leaf

Try using organic papaya leaf extract (as directed on the bottle) and one tablespoon of organic, cold pressed sesame oil twice per day (once in the AM and once in the PM).  I used it to boost my platelets from the 80s back to normal.  I was on FOLFIRINOX at the time.  It took two weeks for the supplements to work, and I continued taking them until the end of my treatment with this particular chemotheray regime.  The leaf extract can be ordered on Amazon (I tried the liquid and the capsule forms and both worked well) and the oil can be found at Whole Foods or Sprouts (I used Napa Valley Naturals brand since it was the only one I could find). You can order it online too but it gets pricey because of the shipping weight and cost.  I hope this helps!  :)

• jen2012
    northa914 said:

Try using organic papaya leaf

Try using organic papaya leaf extract (as directed on the bottle) and one tablespoon of organic, cold pressed sesame oil twice per day (once in the AM and once in the PM).  I used it to boost my platelets from the 80s back to normal.  I was on FOLFIRINOX at the time.  It took two weeks for the supplements to work, and I continued taking them until the end of my treatment with this particular chemotheray regime.  The leaf extract can be ordered on Amazon (I tried the liquid and the capsule forms and both worked well) and the oil can be found at Whole Foods or Sprouts (I used Napa Valley Naturals brand since it was the only one I could find). You can order it online too but it gets pricey because of the shipping weight and cost.  I hope this helps!  :)

Thanks!  I knew there was

Thanks!  I knew there was something, probably posted by you in the past, but couldn't find the old post.   

• jen2012
    Thanks all.  She just replied

Thanks all.  She just replied to my email that they want to do a bone marrow biopsy and also abdominal ultrasound to check for portal  hypertension.  Jeff you have that, don't you?  Is it a big deal?  

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I found that it varies from

I found that it varies from doctor to docto. I know my oncologist let my platelets get as low as 70 which is lower then I hear other doctors will let them drop.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    jen2012 said:

Thanks all.  She just replied to my email that they want to do a bone marrow biopsy and also abdominal ultrasound to check for portal  hypertension.  Jeff you have that, don't you?  Is it a big deal?  

Bone Marrow biopsy

My husband had this done about 25 years ago. It was extremely painful, so be prepared. Of course, they may have improved the method in 20 years, and it may not be as painful now. I just wanted to give you a bit of a heads-up.

Sue - Trubrit

• jen2012
    Trubrit said:

Bone Marrow biopsy

My husband had this done about 25 years ago. It was extremely painful, so be prepared. Of course, they may have improved the method in 20 years, and it may not be as painful now. I just wanted to give you a bit of a heads-up.

Sue - Trubrit

Thanks Sue.  I've heard that

Thanks Sue.  I've heard that it's painful too.  After much back and forth with her today, she has suggested he get another opinion.  Which you guys know I've been trying to convince him of for some time.  So I'm happy she is recommending it now.  Trying to decide where .

• janderson1964
    jen2012 said:

Im sorry, I didn't see your

Im sorry, I didn't see your question. They think I have portal vein hypertension because my spleen is enlarged. Does he have an enlarged spleen? It would show on the scans. If he does have an enlarged spleen I know a few people have had thier spleen removed. My interventional radiologist said he could embolize it instaed of surgery. It is a simple outpatient proceedure. He said not to worry about it unless my platets get down to 50, then he would embolize my spleen.

• jen2012

Im sorry, I didn't see your

Im sorry, I didn't see your question. They think I have portal vein hypertension because my spleen is enlarged. Does he have an enlarged spleen? It would show on the scans. If he does have an enlarged spleen I know a few people have had thier spleen removed. My interventional radiologist said he could embolize it instaed of surgery. It is a simple outpatient proceedure. He said not to worry about it unless my platets get down to 50, then he would embolize my spleen.

Yes it did show enlarged on

Yes it did show enlarged on last pet/ct. At that time she didn't seem concerned, felt that it was holding platelets so she wouldn't worry about his low numbers so much since she felt it would shoot more out if needed.  But she hasn't treated in 3 weeks.

• janderson1964
    jen2012 said:

Yes it did show enlarged on

Yes it did show enlarged on last pet/ct. At that time she didn't seem concerned, felt that it was holding platelets so she wouldn't worry about his low numbers so much since she felt it would shoot more out if needed.  But she hasn't treated in 3 weeks.

The way I understand it from

The way I understand it from what I have read and what my doctors are telling me that the platelets can get backed up in the spleen. I would talk to her nicely about it again. What is his platelet count right now. Some of it is definately treatment related too. My platelets came up some when I stopped treatment for a while last year but then dropped again before I went back on treatment which coninsided with an interval increase on speen size on the scan I had at that time. Since then I went back on Xeloda and my platelets dropped a little during each treatment cycle a little but my most recent scan showed no increase in spleen size.

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

I found that it varies from

I found that it varies from doctor to docto. I know my oncologist let my platelets get as low as 70 which is lower then I hear other doctors will let them drop.

count

Normal platelet count is 150-450.  My count is about 120 which my oncologist says is no cause for alarm.  Good Luck to you.