Lifelong effects from chemo?

jbdizz1216
jbdizz1216 Member Posts: 3

10 year survivor of stage 2, had 6 treatments of Adriamycin, Cytoxan & taxotere.  I have a lot of pain that doctors can't find a reason for.  Extensive joint pain....pain in hands, elbows, knees...lif I sit for 20 minutes, I feel like a 90 year old woman when I stand up.  Sometimes I can't even walk right away.  Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this.  I feel like no one believes me...been tested for carpal tunnel, arthritis, everything and no help.  The only thing I can think of is that it's from the chemo.  Anyone else?  Any advice?

Comments

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Yes

Totally agree wih you.  Four year surviver four chemos.  Suddenly had difficulty getting out of bed and straightening up.  Same after sitting down for the same amount of time as you just cant get up from a sitting position and start to walk.  Again suddenly, had two kind of flare ups of total bouncing pain in the toes, ankles, upper foot, knees (never had problems ever before) upper leg and hips, even the rear, ribs ached, fingers, wrists, elbows one one upper arm.  I was absolutely shocked how this came on so quickly and incapacitated me.  I was fit etc. etc.  Most faded away after six months the second time leaving me with a permanent single leg and knee daily problem.  Never ever had a problem there before.  Only the odd niggle in the hands, and feet.  I have been told lalck of estrogen can cause a lot of these points in the body pain, with a mix of arthritis, and in my case looks like osteoarthrits which is verified.  Not RA, no sign of this.  But it was all so totally sudden, very scary.  I still feel if you have problems starting up before chemo it irritates them and makes them worse or out right just plain causes them.  I had to completely change my simple and quite undemanding exercise routine.  Yoga became difficult which I loved, I couldnt straighten my legs for heavens sake. So I have shifted to Tai Chi and Aquatic Aerobics and my beloved Pilates is still doable  as nearly all floor work and no single leg balancing.  Right or wrong I truly believe it is something to do with the cancer even though some years down the line.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    I Sometimes Wonder, Too

Stiffness I have has increased in recent years.  I was starting chemo three years ago next week.

Whenever I talk about the stiffness and soreness -- not terrible at this point -- I am not sure if it's related to my cancer treatment, including tamoxifen, or my age and the fact that osteoarthritis runs in my family.

Sometimes I am a bit slow getting going, especially evenings after a day in the classroom and hallways, where I am on tiled cement.

• jbdizz1216

I Sometimes Wonder, Too

Stiffness I have has increased in recent years.  I was starting chemo three years ago next week.

Whenever I talk about the stiffness and soreness -- not terrible at this point -- I am not sure if it's related to my cancer treatment, including tamoxifen, or my age and the fact that osteoarthritis runs in my family.

Sometimes I am a bit slow getting going, especially evenings after a day in the classroom and hallways, where I am on tiled cement.

Mine seems to be getting

Mine seems to be getting worse and I can't find another explanation.  Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!  Good luck to you.

• jbdizz1216

Yes

Totally agree wih you.  Four year surviver four chemos.  Suddenly had difficulty getting out of bed and straightening up.  Same after sitting down for the same amount of time as you just cant get up from a sitting position and start to walk.  Again suddenly, had two kind of flare ups of total bouncing pain in the toes, ankles, upper foot, knees (never had problems ever before) upper leg and hips, even the rear, ribs ached, fingers, wrists, elbows one one upper arm.  I was absolutely shocked how this came on so quickly and incapacitated me.  I was fit etc. etc.  Most faded away after six months the second time leaving me with a permanent single leg and knee daily problem.  Never ever had a problem there before.  Only the odd niggle in the hands, and feet.  I have been told lalck of estrogen can cause a lot of these points in the body pain, with a mix of arthritis, and in my case looks like osteoarthrits which is verified.  Not RA, no sign of this.  But it was all so totally sudden, very scary.  I still feel if you have problems starting up before chemo it irritates them and makes them worse or out right just plain causes them.  I had to completely change my simple and quite undemanding exercise routine.  Yoga became difficult which I loved, I couldnt straighten my legs for heavens sake. So I have shifted to Tai Chi and Aquatic Aerobics and my beloved Pilates is still doable  as nearly all floor work and no single leg balancing.  Right or wrong I truly believe it is something to do with the cancer even though some years down the line.

Thank you for replying!  At

Thank you for replying!  At least I know I'm not crazy!  Take care!

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Oh Yes

It ,sure as hell screwed me up.  No short term .  Chemo really has a long time effect

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    complicated

I have a lot of the symptoms described. But they are all symptoms of Parkinson's also.  They could be aging factor also. I had four treatments of A/C and four treatments of taxotere. I was stage 3a. It has been so long it's hard to remember details. I did have a time during treatment that I could not get up out of a chair , took a moment to turn and walk. Trouble with stairs. The doc suggested taking glucosamine chondroitin which helped me. Depending on where you live it could be Lyme from tick bite. But before trying anything first talk to your doctor. 

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Marcia527 said:

complicated

I have a lot of the symptoms described. But they are all symptoms of Parkinson's also.  They could be aging factor also. I had four treatments of A/C and four treatments of taxotere. I was stage 3a. It has been so long it's hard to remember details. I did have a time during treatment that I could not get up out of a chair , took a moment to turn and walk. Trouble with stairs. The doc suggested taking glucosamine chondroitin which helped me. Depending on where you live it could be Lyme from tick bite. But before trying anything first talk to your doctor. 

8 chemo treatments.   I

8 chemo treatments.   I experience joint pain - especially when it's going to rain or be really cold.   After sitting or laying for a long period of time I will be stiff and achy.  I can usually work it out after a few minutes of just moving around or stretching.  I didn't have any of this prior to my diagnosis and it started during chemo, so I believe it is due to the chemo.   But I'm grateful for the chemo and will live with the rest!

You're not crazy and you're not alone

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Vitamin D

Have you had your Vitamin D tested?   I have had all those symptoms and fatigue.   After 9 years I am finally tested for Vitamin D deficiency and I was a 14   I was put on high dose prescription Vitamin D. (50,000 lunit)   Believe it or not a lot of my pain (not all) did go away or at least was manageable.    My Vitamin D level went up to 46.    I was done with the prescription and wouldn't you know it I started feeling crappy again.  I saw a new PCP who redid my Vitamin D and it was back down to 23.  So now I am taking daily Vitamin D.    Vitamin D decreases inflammation of the joints.   

Just curious if this will help you too.

Kathy

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    I developed terrible stiffness and joint pain in the first 2 years following chemo in 2002. My drs said it ws because I waas over 40, but it was in the year following initial tretment.
    Now with the bone mets, there is no real releif. Until I started on Coumadin/Warfarin I would take Ibuprofi 800 and felt grea joint releif! Now it is FentNyl along with breakthrough Tylenal w/codene, thT, along with ativan will knock me out when the pain gets unbearable. Then when I wake up I usually feel a little less pain. Just so limited on what I can take.
    Always good to know you are not alone. Sometimes when I brought it up with dr I have been told, 'have not heard of that side effect'! So I now smile.
  • sunnyshelton
    sunnyshelton Member Posts: 1
    New to breast cancer

Iam just flat scared.

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member

New to breast cancer

Iam just flat scared.

welcome to the site Sunny

Welcome to the group no one wants to join. Of course you're scared, we've all been there and been scared too. Please tell us more about where you're at on this journey. Knowledge is power, and if we know more about what you're dealing with we'll be able to help you better.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

welcome to the site Sunny

Welcome to the group no one wants to join. Of course you're scared, we've all been there and been scared too. Please tell us more about where you're at on this journey. Knowledge is power, and if we know more about what you're dealing with we'll be able to help you better.

Fear*

That Fear never really leaves us...but we are able to manage it better over time I think.  Keep coming back and posting Sunny....we hear you.......and are HERE for you.