beverage suggestions

Hi all,

My brother Bob is trying to find things he can drink....getting kind of tired of warm tap water. I got him coconut water and he liked that. Has a little taste but isn't overpowering or sugary. Something with calories would be good too.

Just thought I's see what worked for you. He's coming up on first pet 3/16, tube is out. Emotional!!

Thanks!!

Nicci

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Just try everything............

Try everything and see what he likes or at lease can stand. Milkshakes are great and lots of cal. Slushies are good as well. Ensure if he can stand them, I can't. Don't for get chicken broth and even cream of chocken soup is high in cal, if you take the whole can. Jello, pudding, popsicles as well. Even just water with a lemon slice in it. Just keep trying it all.

Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I liked plain old

4% milk.  It hydrated and fed me....and gave me the illusion of having spit.  Lots of soups and broths.....too.

p

• ErthWlkr
    ErthWlkr Member Posts: 60
    Drink aid

Hi Nicci -

Was some time ago - but I remember that I used to stick with Arizona Green Tea Iced Tea. That seemed to work for me. After a few months out, I started buying the commercial thick shakes like at Wendy's. They were tough to get thru a straw but the coldness was soothing and seemed to go down easy. No doubt high in calories as well.

Just a couple of thoughts...

- Jeff

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Muscle Milk..

I drank mainly Ensure, but with a recent round of surgeries, I drank primarily Muscle Milk..

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Ensure

I liked Ensure but would have to cut it 50 / 50 with water at first, other then that it was mostly just water for me.

Tim

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    i loved chocolate malts. 

i loved chocolate malts.  good luck.

dj

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710

i loved chocolate malts. 

i loved chocolate malts.  good luck.

dj

Guiness is Good for You!

When he is well enough and OFF ALL PAINKILLERS try a room temp guiness!

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    I drank mainly ensure and

I drank mainly ensure and power shakes and now just about everything but I do stay away from carbonated drinks as it will sting my mouth.He needs to just keep trying to find what he does like...

• BudStamm
    BudStamm Member Posts: 19
    My drink

I am drinking 4% milk (reg milk) with two heaping tablespoons of Carnation Malt which is available at most any grocery store.

Not only does it change the taste but sky rockets the caloric level and is easy to drink with a straw ....anyone  for a malt??

Bud

• scarytimes
    scarytimes Member Posts: 16

I liked plain old

4% milk.  It hydrated and fed me....and gave me the illusion of having spit.  Lots of soups and broths.....too.

p

I haven't seen the 4% milk

I haven't seen the 4% milk anywhere?

• scarytimes
    Guzzle said:

Guiness is Good for You!

When he is well enough and OFF ALL PAINKILLERS try a room temp guiness!

haha, perfect timing for that

haha, perfect timing for that suggestion!! :)

• scarytimes
    BudStamm said:

My drink

I am drinking 4% milk (reg milk) with two heaping tablespoons of Carnation Malt which is available at most any grocery store.

Not only does it change the taste but sky rockets the caloric level and is easy to drink with a straw ....anyone  for a malt??

Bud

Thank you!

I'll have to go find that 4% milk. Thanks to all of you for helping out and always responding to people's questions. We are praying for our first NED on Monday!! I wish you all happiness and health!!

Nicci

• BudStamm
    BudStamm Member Posts: 19

Thank you!

I'll have to go find that 4% milk. Thanks to all of you for helping out and always responding to people's questions. We are praying for our first NED on Monday!! I wish you all happiness and health!!

Nicci

4% milk

4% milk is regular whole milk.....nothing special

• Super-b
    Super-b Member Posts: 26
    Home made smoothies with

Home made smoothies with whole milk, ice cream lots of fruit and protein powder (whey) or hemp hearts worked for me. Guinnes would work too as it was origionaly brewed for the munks for when they were fasting and could only drinK liquids

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member

I drank mainly ensure and

I drank mainly ensure and power shakes and now just about everything but I do stay away from carbonated drinks as it will sting my mouth.He needs to just keep trying to find what he does like...

Power shakes

What did you make power shakes with, I need energy.

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285

Power shakes

What did you make power shakes with, I need energy.

I make mine with whole

I make mine with whole milk,some powder ensure,bannana and honey.It helped to add weight and did start to get my engery level back up.

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    My favorite drink

During my recovery, my favorite drink was Scandishake, 600 calories...I liked the vanilla and chocolate..you can get it on Amazon

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Like Super B

I drank alot of smoothies. Open the fridge and freezer whatever was their it went it, what I use to call garbage smoothies. I also drank alot of ensure and just plain old milk shakes. to this day, theres a whole lotta shaken goin on.

Jeff

• hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Duggie88 said:

Like Super B

I drank alot of smoothies. Open the fridge and freezer whatever was their it went it, what I use to call garbage smoothies. I also drank alot of ensure and just plain old milk shakes. to this day, theres a whole lotta shaken goin on.

Jeff

Shakes every morning

For me, I start every day with a Boost VHC drink (very high calorie= 530) mixed with a Starbucks Frappachino coffee drink....That starts me off with 730 calories and a jolt of caffeine, which I need.   From there it's Ensure, Scandi shakes, and lots of fruit to eat.  I especially like raspberries and bananas with whipped cream or ice cream.  I find a way to get 2000 cal a day but it is a full time job, as you all know.

All the best,

Steve

• stayingpositive
    stayingpositive Member Posts: 89
    ST.... I went to GNC in the

ST.... I went to GNC in the mall, they suggested one of their "muscle mass" high caloric powders to mix with what ever warm milk my taste buds could handle.

The warm milk disolved the powder well enough, but I had to start low doses because of the richness, and the flavor.... i stuck with vanilla.

Oh, and start now before he looses the wieght! My first year everything tasted like cardboard and I lost 60lbs, I didn't start taking the supplement until I was down to 124lbs!

They had a few "trial packs" for flavor testing, then I purchased a big monster container.

One warning though, make sure to use a disovlable fiber supplement with it also.... keep things "regular".

How was the PET? did it turn out well?