Two Years Ago

It was two years ago this past Monday that I stepped through doors of the radiation center at MD Anderson in Houston to start six weeks of treatment.  The mask had been fitted, I had eaten at every favor resturant and had really not slept well that night.  My wife and yes even my two kids walked in with me as we were determined to descarify what I was about to start.  The tech's even showed my two kids the room and machine that would help make Daddy better.  They really helped to make it much easier for my kids.  

I laid down on the table and they clipped me in mask and all.  Turned on the music and slowly the door shut and we were off to the races.  I remember counting the clicks and hums of the machine. I remember not opening my eys for some stupid reason. It was over faster then I thought and was out the door to go the Houston Rodeo. Nothing including cancer was going to stop me from going to the rodeo with my kids!

I will never forget that first day althoght the rest of them kind of blend together like those ice cream/ensure mild shakes I would down three to four times a day even when I just did not want to take another drink of that stuff! That might have something to do with the fact that I never needed a feeding tube during my treatment. Now as I look back I am thankful for every person who greeted me at the door of MD Anderson, every person who parked our car, every tech that assisted me onto the table and continued to encouraged with the countdown to ringing that bell. Tihe increible doctor doctor MD/PhD who formulated my treatement and told me each week that my prognosis was excellent. The nutritionist who told me to eat, eat, and then eat somemore.  And the head MD of my team who told me to remember and do only FOUR things...it is treatable, it is curiable, to eat and to take my medicine. 

It is less then six weeks till I reach my targetted and important two year anniversary of having no evidence of disease and I still look over my shoulder and think could "it" come back, then I hear my daughter laugh and see my son sing in the high school choir and for a moment (which is getting longer and longer) I forget about "it" and give thanks for another day! 

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    2 years

jthornsbury, 

Congratulations on hitting the 2 year mark and thanks for the trip down radiation  lane (how I remember the sounds).

Enjoy your family, enjoy your life.

Matt

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Congratulations .... NED

Isn't that just about the best you can hear....NED.  Congratulations on the two years.

Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Two years is...

....THE milestone to hit, to breathe easier and get to slow up on looking back over your shoulder.  Congratualtions, this is a big anniversary!!

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Congrats

great news, brought my rad treatment back to me, I was surprise how quickly the time went. I was diagnosed in April 2 years ago. My treatment finished in October so iI don't know whether I'm two years April or two years October. I enjoyed your story with the wife and kids going along with you. My daughter was my pillar of strength and still is. I'm still going through radiotherapy damage treatment but I think Im nearly on the road to recovery. Good luck.....

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    congrats...

next up.., five years... But two years is pretty much the biggie.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    congratulations on 2 years!! 

congratulations on 2 years!!  that's almost 1/2 way to the 5 yr mark!!!  here's to many, many more neds and anniversaries.

God bless you,

dj

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    Grateful

Your post reminded me that we have much to be grateful for! 

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,773 Member
    two years - over the hump

Glad to hear you are doing well. Make sure to take a big sigh and bow at two yearss. Most recurrence happens inside the three year mark so you are a lot closer to the big unofffical all clear. Bravo.