Out of Surgery and Recovering

Options

Hi.

Thought I'd start a new thread instead of continuing on my older thread.  i had my tonsillectomy and neck dissection on 1-31-14.  I was told it went very well and the infected tonsil and some lymph nodes from my neck are being looked at for any remaining traces of cancer.  Should have results back this week at some point.  I was only in the hospital 1 night which I thought was a bit rushed, but it's turned out ok.  I got my neck drainage tube out today...what a relief.  My neck and throat are sore, but pain meds are managinging it pretty well.  I can't swallow all that well, but it's getting a little better each day.  Hoping after a few more days I'll be able to eat a few more "normal" foods.  Currently it's all broth, soups, and very soft foods.

Just thought I'd give a brief up date.  Hears to hoping 2015 is completely cancer free!!

Happy New Year everyone!!

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    i'm so glad that part is

i'm so glad that part is behind you and pray you heal without any problems.  will you be having other tx?  Happy and Healthy New Year to you too gdawg55!!

dj

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    better 2015

gdwag55,

I hope you meant 12-31-14, because then it can be part of your (unique) New Year’s celebration.

A celebration that they got it all!

Best of luck,

Matt

• gdawg55
    gdawg55 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

better 2015

gdwag55,

I hope you meant 12-31-14, because then it can be part of your (unique) New Year’s celebration.

A celebration that they got it all!

Best of luck,

Matt

Haha, yes I meant to say my

Haha, yes I meant to say my surgery was on 12-31-14.  Sorry about that.  It was quite the happy new year to me!!

• gdawg55
    Options

i'm so glad that part is

i'm so glad that part is behind you and pray you heal without any problems.  will you be having other tx?  Happy and Healthy New Year to you too gdawg55!!

dj

dj, I hope this is all the

dj, I hope this is all the treatment I will need.  They sent my tonsil and lymph nodes to be looked at for any remaining cancer.  If it's all clear then I'm done.  If they still find traces then my next step will be radiation.  I am praying like crazy that my results come back clean.  Hope you and yours have a Healthy and Happy New Year as well.  Thanks.

• debbiejeanne
    Options
    gdawg55 said:

dj, I hope this is all the treatment I will need.  They sent my tonsil and lymph nodes to be looked at for any remaining cancer.  If it's all clear then I'm done.  If they still find traces then my next step will be radiation.  I am praying like crazy that my results come back clean.  Hope you and yours have a Healthy and Happy New Year as well.  Thanks.

I too am praying you get all

I too am praying you get all clean margins and nothing more is needed!!!  be sure to let us know your good news when you get it as we will definitly be waiting to hear!!

God bless you,

dj

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    2015 is NED Year for all......

Glad to hear that is over and lets hope they got it all.

Bill

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Doing well

You been through a little hell but sounds like you are handling it all OK, will keep you in prayers that the reports all come back good.

God Bless

Tim

• gdawg55
    Options
    wmc said:

2015 is NED Year for all......

Glad to hear that is over and lets hope they got it all.

Bill

Amen!!  Thanks Bill.

Amen!!  Thanks Bill.

• gdawg55
    Options
    Hondo said:

Doing well

You been through a little hell but sounds like you are handling it all OK, will keep you in prayers that the reports all come back good.

God Bless

Tim

Tim, thank you brother.

Tim, thank you brother.  Trying to handle the best I can.  Today is day 6 and am feeling much better.  Still have some soreness and swelling but each day is getting a little better.

• petroglyph
    petroglyph Member Posts: 41
    Options
    gdawg55 said:

Tim, thank you brother.

Tim, thank you brother.  Trying to handle the best I can.  Today is day 6 and am feeling much better.  Still have some soreness and swelling but each day is getting a little better.

good new year

I am glad you are on this side and the cancer is in the rear view mirror and fading fast.

That is a pretty remarkably short stay in the hospital indeed. Just shows how well they think you are doing.

Congratulations and a fine new year to you, Gdawg.

• gdawg55
    Options
    Well I went to the doctor

Well I went to the doctor yesterday to have my staples removed from the neck dissection (glad to get those out).  He had my pathology report back.  Margins around tonsil are all clear and all lymph nodes tested (14) are negative for cancer.  Yahoo!!  The cancer board is meeting today and will again review my case.  My ENT thinks I should not require any additional treatment at this time.  Praise the good Lord above!

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options

What great news! I hope you continue with a speedy recovery.

• debbiejeanne
    Options
    gdawg55 said:

Well I went to the doctor yesterday to have my staples removed from the neck dissection (glad to get those out).  He had my pathology report back.  Margins around tonsil are all clear and all lymph nodes tested (14) are negative for cancer.  Yahoo!!  The cancer board is meeting today and will again review my case.  My ENT thinks I should not require any additional treatment at this time.  Praise the good Lord above!

gdawg55, that is fantastic

gdawg55, that is fantastic news!!  i'm doing a happy dance all around the house!  i am praying your ENT is right and nothing more is needed.  that would absolutely be a huge blessing.  Praise God!

God bless you,

dj

• violet1982
    violet1982 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    gdawg55 said:

Glade all was negative. My

Gdwag55, Glade all was negative. My mom went through 6 wks chemo/cisplatin, 40 radiation treatments finished august 13 2014. Just had her neck dissection on Jan 15 2015 because the nodes in left neck wouldn't go away  and she was 5 mnths out and didn't want to take the chance. I'm glade her biopsys at base tongue did come back negative thank god. When you go through chemo/radiation you go through hell excuse my language. My heart goes out to all the people that are crossed by this disease.

Violet

• wmc
    Options
    gdawg55 said:

Sounds like a NED to me...

Glad the surgery went so well and they only took 14 glands, and clear margins. You can't ask for anything better then that. What happened to when you get your toncels out, you get to eat all the ice cream you want.  Having the staples out sure does feel good. Take care and go slow, but keep swallowing and stay hydrated.

Bill

• gdawg55
    Options
    Thank you all for the nice

Thank you all for the nice comments.  I am healing well and feeling very good about my results.  Wishing you all a healthy new year.

• wmc
    Options
    gdawg55 said:

Thank you all for the nice

Thank you all for the nice comments.  I am healing well and feeling very good about my results.  Wishing you all a healthy new year.

Happy "NED" Year to you as well

May all your years be pain free and always NED..........