Surgery this morning!

CarolS612
CarolS612 Member Posts: 37 Member
edited January 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

I had my lumpectomy this morning as well as a port put in for chemo and a sentinel node biopsy.  I have triple negative IDC, possibly stage , ll maybe lll .  I was diagnosed on Dec 10 and the initial sonogram said I had a speculated mass that was about 3 cm.  the MRI indicated the mass was 2.2x 2.0 x 2.3, however it showed signs of multi focal disease with satellite nodules approximately 3 cm from the main tumor.  ( I did not have a mastectomy due to concerns with COPD).  My surgeon initially said she would need to remove around 6cm to get both the tumor and the margins.  When I woke up in the recovery room, I learned that she had taken over 10 cm, as the cancer had spread more than expected.  She states that she believes she got it all but  won't know until the biopsy results are in.  She did indicate the possibilly of the need forfor a second surgery. Right now, I am tired, cranky, sore and scared.  Trying not to think too much, but it is hard to do at this point.  This roller coaster keeps moving faster and I just want it to slow down for a little bit.  Sorry I just needed to whine for a minute or two to folks I know can understand how I feel!!

Comments

• morgamed
    morgamed Member Posts: 75
    Whine all you want

I had a bilateral 5 months ago.  I learned real quick to stay ahead of the pain so take your pain pill every 4 or 6 hours as prescribed.  Surrond yorself with comfort food and loved ones.  It's ok at this point to say, do, express anything you want to.  So bring on the whine...but I'm going to have the real thing... I'm cancer free and very lucky I didn't have to have any chemo or radiation.   I got my hall pass to be bad...Let's celebrate the day you get yours!

((((hugs)))))

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    I understand

Glad you've had the surgery.  That's one less worry for you now.  Waiting for the pathology is frightening but know that we are all with  you in prayer and have gone through it and come out moving on with our lives.  You will too.  Please let us know results when you can.  Prayers, Sharon

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    thanks for posting

Thanks for posting, I was thinking about you yesterday and was going to PM you, and couldn't remember how to spell your name.

Glad you have surgery behind you and hope surgeon got clean margins for you.

The incision for the sentinel node biopsy will probably bother you more than the breast incision, and it's normal for both of them to get hard lumps for awhile. A tiny pillow (like 4x6") can be your best friend - at night use it to cushion your breast, during the day put it in your armpit to cushion the sentinel node biopsy site. And it also works nice to protect site from seat belt in the car.

If SLN incision is achy, check with your Dr if it's OK to put heat on it (not too warm though as you could be numb and don't want to burn yourself). I used one of those long skinny bean bags for behind your neck that you can microwave, wrapped it from my neck down along my breast and under my arm and that felt really good. Follow Dr's orders for how much movement to do with that arm, want to keep it moving but don't want to cause lymphedema, and remember to really protect that arm - no cuts, burns, sunburns, IV's, lab sticks, mosquito bites, etc.

Dr will be letting you heal from surgery before starting chemo, but make sure you get a prescription for the numbing cream for your port, it works great. You put a glob of cream on the skin over the port about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before they're going to poke the needle into the port to access it, tape a small square of plastic wrap over the glob to keep it in place and to protect your clothes. I've never had a painful poke and I know many ladies who did without the cream.

Keep in touch. gentle hugs coming your way

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    WOW

My goodness...you had the port placed the same day as the lumpectomy..... and yet here you are able to share with us........You are a strong and fantastic woman **   I was such a wimp after my lumpectomy I could never have gotten online....all I did was take dope and sleep.     Be good to yourself and rest as much as you can ...take this day by day.  We send you Prayers for Strength and Courage....   Glo

• CarolS612
    GlowMore said:

WOW

My goodness...you had the port placed the same day as the lumpectomy..... and yet here you are able to share with us........You are a strong and fantastic woman **   I was such a wimp after my lumpectomy I could never have gotten online....all I did was take dope and sleep.     Be good to yourself and rest as much as you can ...take this day by day.  We send you Prayers for Strength and Courage....   Glo

Here but not glowing

yes glow,,,,,I was here to tell about it but really needed to whine to others who woukd truly understand

I am now praying for clear margins so I don't have to think about the possibilty of more surgery.  Sometimes oneday at a time is much easier said tha done.    I am working hard to take care of myself which is sometimes hard for me to do.  I am a social worker and usually care for others . Today was my melt down day and I expect the same tomoor row when I remove my bandages to shower 

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    CarolS612 said:

Here but not glowing

yes glow,,,,,I was here to tell about it but really needed to whine to others who woukd truly understand

I am now praying for clear margins so I don't have to think about the possibilty of more surgery.  Sometimes oneday at a time is much easier said tha done.    I am working hard to take care of myself which is sometimes hard for me to do.  I am a social worker and usually care for others . Today was my melt down day and I expect the same tomoor row when I remove my bandages to shower 

Hugs

Hugs for courage and prayers for those clear margins.....

• CarolS612
    GlowMore said:

Hugs

Hugs for courage and prayers for those clear margins.....

Thanks for the prayers!

Thank you so much ladies for your words of encouragement, thoughts and prayers for clear margins.  Day 3 and I'm still feeling pretty lousy, actually worse than I did on Sat and Sun.  Now all I can do is wait for pathology reports.  

• rutzetta
    rutzetta Member Posts: 174
    You Rock

may the margins come back clear and your recovery goes smoothly. Welcome to the best place for comfort and love from your pink's sis'at. Keep posting it helps you and others on the journey. 

Constance