Who to see at MD Anderson Houston?

thxmiker
thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member

Whom are the great Docs to see at MD Anderson Houston?     I have ran out of options here in Phoenix.  I can go to UCSD in Sand Diego (La Hoya) but it is expensive for my wife to stay down there.  We have family and Houston is less expensive place to live.   I will need posible Hospice Care while getting Chemo for a few months.

Thanks for any information!

Best Always,  mike

PS   I have great insurance and money is not a big issue, always a concern for expenses.   We are going to check out New Hope Unlimited here in Phoenix also.

Comments

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Dr. Subbiah is who I sa but

Dr. Subbiah is who I sa but that was for clinical trials which it turns out that I don't need now but it was worth the experience. I can tell you I was really blown away by the whole Texas Medical Center and MD Anderson. It takes a lot to impress me these days since I have been to so many hospitals around the country lately.

I wish you all the best.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    hoping you find someone wonderful

Good luck Mike. 

Sorry I can't help with the question, but know that you are still being thought of up here in Northern Nevada. 

Sue - Trubrit

• lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member
    Trubrit said:

hoping you find someone wonderful

Good luck Mike. 

Sorry I can't help with the question, but know that you are still being thought of up here in Northern Nevada. 

Sue - Trubrit

Not Dr. See

Hi - I went to MD Anderson two years ago.  I didn't have a choice of doctors, but then, I didn't know whom to ask for.  

I also was blown away by the facility and standard of care.  The administrative intake was not super friendly, but after that, I'd rate the whole MDA experience as a positive. 

I saw Dr. Kee, and both he and his assistant (a recently graduated medical student) were wonderful, just first rate.  They spent a lot of time talkng to me, and clearly had taken a lot of time reviewing my files before even meeting me.  However, Dr. Kee was a medical oncologist and didn't give me the answers I was looking for which was surgery, new technology to remove my few remaining tumors (at that time), and anything but chemo only.   Frankly, I expected more out of them.  At that time, chemo had zapped my primary tumor, and I think I only had a couple of small liver tumors and a couple of small lung mets. Nothing compared to what I have today! I read this board and colon club and people with more mets than I had then were offered ablation, combination surgeries like VATS for the lungs, etc at other facilities both in the US and abroad, so I figured I'd be a good candidate and that MDA with its reputation would offer me the same. Nope.  

They said to continue with what I was getting at home, which was chemo only. I just expected more.  With all the time I spent horsing around with MDA, looking back I probably should have gone to say, Stanford, MSK, Mount Sinai, or a clinic with a reputation of being less conservative (for lack of a better word.) Or maybe they were right. I don't know; I'm not a doctor.  One guy on colon club had one operation to have VATS on his lung mets as well as some kind of liver procedure where the surgeon delicately removed a met/tumor that was wrapped around an artery or something crazy like that. When I read those stories, I think "I want that, too." 

anyway, good luck. I hope you find the answers and the treatment you are looking for at MDA, or that you don't lose a lot of time if you don't.  

BTW: Herman Cain saw Dr. Eng who still works there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cain-beats-odds-against-surviving-colon-cancer/2011/10/13/gIQABFRqsL_story.html

Karin

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    MD Anderson

I was there for an evaluation two weeks ago.  The thing that initially tripped me up was the upfront question... I am there for treatment or for a second opinion.  I chose the "there for treatment" since I was willing to go there if the recommended treatment was my preferred direction.  Scheduling... I was offered different MOs on different days.  In my case I was given some information about the two MOs I was making a choice for (or against).    Conservative comment in this thread jives with what I think ( for me).  Pleased that their view reinforced what I had determined as a possible next step ( clinical trial)... surprised with their view of the latest combo therapy was seen as " not for prime time" for my case....

• thxmiker
    OK, I do not need Hospice

OK, I do not need Hospice care.  I still need to find out whom are the great Oncologists at MD Anderson in Houston.

Thursday I will get a small surgery to add a port to my stomach.  I am not passing food or liquids very well.  This willl allow me to drain my stomach so I do not get nausea and lose it.   They started me on the fentenol patch this afternoon. I will start a new Chemo tomorrow also.  

I am expected to be in the hospital until Wednesday or Thursday next week.  

Laurie will go home Friday night and come back Sunday afternoon.  That way the dogs will have someone at home to run them.  She can also shuttle dirty clothes for clean clothes. lol  I like to wear my own clothing vs the hospital gowns.  My own shirts are much more comfortable then the "Gowns" that drape and fold all over you.  I rather throw away a shirt if it gets dripped on, then be uncomfortable all day.  Plus the staff treats you better if you look better.

Best Always,  mike

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    thxmiker said:

OK, I do not need Hospice

OK, I do not need Hospice care.  I still need to find out whom are the great Oncologists at MD Anderson in Houston.

Thursday I will get a small surgery to add a port to my stomach.  I am not passing food or liquids very well.  This willl allow me to drain my stomach so I do not get nausea and lose it.   They started me on the fentenol patch this afternoon. I will start a new Chemo tomorrow also.  

I am expected to be in the hospital until Wednesday or Thursday next week.  

Laurie will go home Friday night and come back Sunday afternoon.  That way the dogs will have someone at home to run them.  She can also shuttle dirty clothes for clean clothes. lol  I like to wear my own clothing vs the hospital gowns.  My own shirts are much more comfortable then the "Gowns" that drape and fold all over you.  I rather throw away a shirt if it gets dripped on, then be uncomfortable all day.  Plus the staff treats you better if you look better.

Best Always,  mike

Mike

Can you not at least be evaluated at MD Anderson here before going all the way to Houston? Or does the one here not have reputable care for colon cancer? I'm sorry I can't offer any recommendations for oncs here as Ron's cancer was completely different. I do feel they did the best they could for him, the disadvantage being so new in the valley that they were not all inclusive with other non cancer related doctors that he needed.

If you feel up to a visit from an old cowgirl before you head home, let me know.

Luv,

Wolfen

• thxmiker
    wolfen said:

Mike

Can you not at least be evaluated at MD Anderson here before going all the way to Houston? Or does the one here not have reputable care for colon cancer? I'm sorry I can't offer any recommendations for oncs here as Ron's cancer was completely different. I do feel they did the best they could for him, the disadvantage being so new in the valley that they were not all inclusive with other non cancer related doctors that he needed.

If you feel up to a visit from an old cowgirl before you head home, let me know.

Luv,

Wolfen

I went to MD Anderson in

I went to MD Anderson in October 2012, They did a very poor exploratory surgery.  Accomplished nothing and had no pictures to show us anything.   They told me to get my affairs and will in line.  As far as I am concerned for Colon Cancer, they were useless!  This was Dr. Brown the head of surgery, that did my surgery.  The nursing staff was not up to par compared to Shea Medical or St. Joes. Overall a really terible experience for me. It took me 5 weeks to be able to walk a mile or move well after the surgery.  At UCSD I had 20 mets removed, 8 tumors (! in each hip, 6 in the abdomen) and was walking more then a mile within 36 hours after surgery.

I will be here for about a week more. Today I am having a port put in my stomach to help me drain the fluids out of my stomach instead of a NG tube.  This will be more comfortable and easier for me to use at home.  Then I start Chemo.  I would love a visit after today.  (Shea Medical Center, 92nd and Shea Blvd, Rm 3330)

Best Always,  mike

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    thxmiker said:

I went to MD Anderson in

I went to MD Anderson in October 2012, They did a very poor exploratory surgery.  Accomplished nothing and had no pictures to show us anything.   They told me to get my affairs and will in line.  As far as I am concerned for Colon Cancer, they were useless!  This was Dr. Brown the head of surgery, that did my surgery.  The nursing staff was not up to par compared to Shea Medical or St. Joes. Overall a really terible experience for me. It took me 5 weeks to be able to walk a mile or move well after the surgery.  At UCSD I had 20 mets removed, 8 tumors (! in each hip, 6 in the abdomen) and was walking more then a mile within 36 hours after surgery.

I will be here for about a week more. Today I am having a port put in my stomach to help me drain the fluids out of my stomach instead of a NG tube.  This will be more comfortable and easier for me to use at home.  Then I start Chemo.  I would love a visit after today.  (Shea Medical Center, 92nd and Shea Blvd, Rm 3330)

Best Always,  mike

Oh, Mike

Now I understand why you are going elsewhere. At the time Ron went there, I had nothing to compare cancer care with except JBG's in Louisville which was less than stellar except for her excellent surgeon. I'm sorry your experience was so terrible.

I will try to get up there on the weekend or maybe Monday so I can meet Laurie also. Am fighting a stupid bad tooth & resemble a chipmunk right now.

Hope all went well with the port & you are feeling more comfort.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Luv,

Wolfen

• thxmiker
    wolfen said:

Oh, Mike

Now I understand why you are going elsewhere. At the time Ron went there, I had nothing to compare cancer care with except JBG's in Louisville which was less than stellar except for her excellent surgeon. I'm sorry your experience was so terrible.

I will try to get up there on the weekend or maybe Monday so I can meet Laurie also. Am fighting a stupid bad tooth & resemble a chipmunk right now.

Hope all went well with the port & you are feeling more comfort.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Luv,

Wolfen

Laurie would love to meet you

Laurie would love to meet you also!   I willl be here until Wednesday, posibly Thursday next week.   Tomorrow I complete chemo.

My sister most likely will come in tomorrow afternoon! She will stay the weekend.  She is an award winning teacher in Houston.  She started a program to teach underprivelleged kids parenting skills.  Then she helps them get schollarships for tech schools. 

You are welcome to come by anytime, and We are excited to see you.

Best Always,  mike

• sky123
    sky123 Member Posts: 15
    I see Chris Garrett at MDA

I see Chris Garrett at MDA Houston. I went there for 2nd opinion when I went incurable, and was very impressed with the whole place so I stayed. I go every 3 or 4 months for assessment and then have treatments done at home. Dr. Garrett is quirky and at first I wasn't sure I'd be able to get along with him, but it turns out he just has a very dry (but very good) sense of humor. I'm not sure he does a lot that is not just the usual oncology, but he specializes in GI cancers and he REALLY understood when I told him quality is as important to me as quantity. We have made many decisions based on that, including cutting back on chemo whenever possible and having fewer scans (at my request.) He runs really, really late all the time, but when you are in with him he has all the time in the world for you.

Other tips about MDA: the ROC (radiology outpatient clinic) is the nicest clinic, of many, to get your scans done (it's just a short walk from the main building and I'm sure they have a shuttle.) There are several pharmacies in the building, most of which are faster than the main pharmacy. The MyMDAnderson site is great for getting all your medical info, even the doctor's patient notes. I saw a really, really great pain management doc named Mitchell Engle.

Best of luck there. I'd love to hear how it goes for you and who you end up seeing.

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Mike

i can't do any hospice as long as I am IN chemo treatment.  

Something to look in perhaps....and Houston and state of Texas is very affordable....people have flocked to the state.

I'm too sick to make the drive now but my facility is NCI rated.  Often wonder if I would fare better there for this fight....but we live here and the logistics would be a nightmar.

bedt wished & good luck!

crsig