Can Radiotherapy affect your hearing?

Options

Bilateral, 60 gy x 36. Halfway up face and back of head.

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Yes

I do believe loss of hearing is another gift of radiation, depends where radiation is aimed.  I was having hearing problems in right ear before having chemo.  Radiated 3X's then Cyberknife.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    not so often

Hearing issues are most common as a side effect of cisplatin chemo rather than radiation related but radiation damages tissue so seem reasonable it could have hit your ear. I'd call the RO and ask if the map and contouring was anywhere the area that could cause this.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    What is that you said?

NPC: Yes I am almost completely deaf due to the radiation damage. I have hearing loss in both ears of about 80% and when I pull the hearing aids out at night to go to sleep it is complete silents. At times it is not bad because I don’t hear the dog barking or the fan making noise or the wife snoring.

Cry

Tim Hondo  

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

What is that you said?

NPC: Yes I am almost completely deaf due to the radiation damage. I have hearing loss in both ears of about 80% and when I pull the hearing aids out at night to go to sleep it is complete silents. At times it is not bad because I don’t hear the dog barking or the fan making noise or the wife snoring.

Cry

Tim Hondo  

good.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for reporting in about hearing loss from radiation. Maybe treatments left me missing a few decibels too. Just seems the vast majority of hearing loss is cisplatin related. There are always exceptions and you certainly fit that category. Very few can state the following and be here to back it up.

"I am a Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC) Survivors 3 times, twice I received Radiation and once Chemo, the last time I opt for no treatment but did it with God and Herbs"

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options
    donfoo said:

good.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for reporting in about hearing loss from radiation. Maybe treatments left me missing a few decibels too. Just seems the vast majority of hearing loss is cisplatin related. There are always exceptions and you certainly fit that category. Very few can state the following and be here to back it up.

"I am a Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC) Survivors 3 times, twice I received Radiation and once Chemo, the last time I opt for no treatment but did it with God and Herbs"

Thank you for the info.
    Is

Thank you for the info.

Is there nothing this radiotherapy malarkey doesn't mess up!? It may well be my imagination, I've just noticed that I'm mishearing speech, particularly 'speech in noise'. Eg, I heard "radio" for "razor", and having to ask repeats not just once, but two or three times, and then having to pretend I've heard, because I didn't catch. There are other things it could be, fatigue, worry about the impending operation and biopsy. I know that :) It's a 'nuisance' rather than something really awful. If it carries on, maybe in the New Year I'll go and have it tested. I get fed up of being mauled.... you feel like your body is no longer your own :/

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Hearing

My husband had, the first time 35 radiation and 3 cisplatin treatments.  I noticed that his hearing had gotten bad.  Second time, he had 37 radiation and 10 carboplatin.  Now I don't know if it is selective hearing, but his hearing is shot.  TV is very loud so he can hear it and many times he doesn't hear what I say or anyone else for that matter.  

Sharon

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Estelle_H said:

Thank you for the info.
    Is

Thank you for the info.

Is there nothing this radiotherapy malarkey doesn't mess up!? It may well be my imagination, I've just noticed that I'm mishearing speech, particularly 'speech in noise'. Eg, I heard "radio" for "razor", and having to ask repeats not just once, but two or three times, and then having to pretend I've heard, because I didn't catch. There are other things it could be, fatigue, worry about the impending operation and biopsy. I know that :) It's a 'nuisance' rather than something really awful. If it carries on, maybe in the New Year I'll go and have it tested. I get fed up of being mauled.... you feel like your body is no longer your own :/

Estelle, i do have slight

Estelle, i do have slight hearing problem since rads but not too bad.  never related it to that but since you mention it, i never had the problem before.  i will be thinking of you these next couple days.  i really hope your nerves won't get the best of you.  they always seem to do me in.  sending thoughts, hugs, good mojo and positive vibes for a successful surgery and great news on the biopsy!

hugs,

dj

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Ladylacy said:

Hearing

My husband had, the first time 35 radiation and 3 cisplatin treatments.  I noticed that his hearing had gotten bad.  Second time, he had 37 radiation and 10 carboplatin.  Now I don't know if it is selective hearing, but his hearing is shot.  TV is very loud so he can hear it and many times he doesn't hear what I say or anyone else for that matter.  

Sharon

Hearing

Recently lost much of my ability to hear out of left ear. I had it tested and thankfully, he said hearing in my right ear was phenominal. for now, bigger fish to fry so just carrying on.

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hearing

Yes I have some damage due to radiation in my left ear. Some of it is from driving truck for years but since radiation I developed ringing. But I was married before and developed an ability to drum out or ignore noise so it's really doesn't bother me so much. But the good news is I am still around and my more better wife just has to speak a little louder. And I use the word "what" alot.

Jeff