Leg Cramps while exercising

Barb5454
Barb5454 Member Posts: 125

Hi everyone,

I have another one that has hit me all of a sudden. I started exercising on the treadmill. I could only walk at a 2mph pace for only 15 mins! Just 2 months ago I was doing 30 mins at 3.5 mph.

First it is the rectal bleeding after 20 months post treatment, now I can hardly exercise??!?!?!?!

What in the world is going on with my body?

Comments

• islandgirlculebra
    islandgirlculebra Member Posts: 155 Member
    Leg Cramps

I still have stiff hips, stiff muscles in buttocks and thighs in both legs,  two years post treatment.  Something new that's started just lately is  cramping and tight muscles in the calves of my legs. Some days worse than others. No cancer rehab associated with the hospital where I got treatment, like others on this board talk about, which they say helps..... I've been lax on taking vitamins and exercising this summer. Got to get back into both, I think they help some.

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Symptoms

I to have had a lot of side effects.  These changes can be very scary.  After a while I began to realize that others were not having side effects as long after tx as I was! Or there was not as severe as mine.  I had to open my eyes and realize that maybe something else was going on.  It took almost 2 years after tx to get my diagnosis of ataxia.    Some of the symptoms overlapped and so that why it was easy to blame on tx.  I hope you find some answers or acceptance.  I did a little of both.

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Barb....

All my life I have been physically active and likewise often dealt with leg or foot cramps, often at night. Usually I'd just massage or walk it off. I noticed after treatment I seemed to have them more than usual, especially because my activity level was no where near as strenuous as prior. When I mentioned this to my PCP at about 1 yr post treatment she emphasized the importance of Vit D and K and that along with some obvious benefits in preventing osteoporosis it may also help with cramps. I have almost no cramping since taking D/K on a regular basis. This may just be a coincidence as I also do regular stretching and light yoga, but worth a try.

Be well.......

katheryn

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Go Bananas

Yes, go bananas!  They are a miracle fruit, not only providing energy but also a good source of potassium.  I highly recommend eating one every day.  As a runner, I am convinced that they are a perfect food choice.  They are often handed out at races to the runners because they create energy but also prevent muscle cramping.  About an hour before exercising, eat a banana and see if it helps.

• eihtak
    mp327 said:

Go Bananas

Yes, go bananas!  They are a miracle fruit, not only providing energy but also a good source of potassium.  I highly recommend eating one every day.  As a runner, I am convinced that they are a perfect food choice.  They are often handed out at races to the runners because they create energy but also prevent muscle cramping.  About an hour before exercising, eat a banana and see if it helps.

Martha....

I have to agree! I eat a banana every morning so maybe thats it.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,460 Member
    Me too!  I just popped over

Me too!  I just popped over from the colorectal board to see if there was anything on this board.  I am find for a while and then boom, major cramping and heel pain.  I'm 18 months out of treatment.  I've tried bananas and water and that works sometimes but if I try to push my body it fights back with cramping.  I've lost the anal muscle so exercise is really tough to being with.  There's no support. 

• Helen321
    eihtak said:

Barb....

All my life I have been physically active and likewise often dealt with leg or foot cramps, often at night. Usually I'd just massage or walk it off. I noticed after treatment I seemed to have them more than usual, especially because my activity level was no where near as strenuous as prior. When I mentioned this to my PCP at about 1 yr post treatment she emphasized the importance of Vit D and K and that along with some obvious benefits in preventing osteoporosis it may also help with cramps. I have almost no cramping since taking D/K on a regular basis. This may just be a coincidence as I also do regular stretching and light yoga, but worth a try.

Be well.......

katheryn

I'm doing the D, I'm going to

I'm doing the D, I'm going to try the K as suggested by Katheryn and up my bananas to daily instead of just when the cramping hits.  I guess that's just good common sense, prevention instead of treatment. 

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Coconut water

Bannanas are great and every day is better but it is easier to store coconut water and they help us with the hydration factor also. 8 ounces of coconut water has as much potassium as a bannana.

At Sloan Kettering my PT recommended drinking coconut water to keep the all the skin hydrated including skin in the peri anal area and vagina. I didn't like the taste of coconut water at first but found it to be easily acquired. The flavored ones are great too - particularly pineapple and pineapple is a terrific anti-inflammatory.

I find it hard to keep bannas fresh but when they turn dark I freeze them and put them in my smoothies. Yummie. I use Flax milk or Almond Milk for smoothies at only 30 calories for 8 ounces.

Coconut water is most delicious very cold. I throw some in the freezer to take to hot yoga with me. You get really well hydrated too.

So see if you like it. It will definitely help. Dehydration isn't good for anyone. For example, if you eat a bannana but you are dehydrated, you could still experience cramping. Let us know if these suggestions help.

All the best,

Sandy

• mp327
    sandysp said:

Coconut water

Bannanas are great and every day is better but it is easier to store coconut water and they help us with the hydration factor also. 8 ounces of coconut water has as much potassium as a bannana.

At Sloan Kettering my PT recommended drinking coconut water to keep the all the skin hydrated including skin in the peri anal area and vagina. I didn't like the taste of coconut water at first but found it to be easily acquired. The flavored ones are great too - particularly pineapple and pineapple is a terrific anti-inflammatory.

I find it hard to keep bannas fresh but when they turn dark I freeze them and put them in my smoothies. Yummie. I use Flax milk or Almond Milk for smoothies at only 30 calories for 8 ounces.

Coconut water is most delicious very cold. I throw some in the freezer to take to hot yoga with me. You get really well hydrated too.

So see if you like it. It will definitely help. Dehydration isn't good for anyone. For example, if you eat a bannana but you are dehydrated, you could still experience cramping. Let us know if these suggestions help.

All the best,

Sandy

Sandy

I haven't tried the coconut water yet, but I'll give it a shot!  The reason I eat bananas is not so much for the potassium and relief of muscle cramping, but for the great carbs and energy they provide.  Being a runner, carbs are essential, especially on a long race.

And I might add, my husband brought home a bag that you put bananas in and place in the refrigerator to make them last much, much longer--and it works!

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    mp327 said:

Sandy

I haven't tried the coconut water yet, but I'll give it a shot!  The reason I eat bananas is not so much for the potassium and relief of muscle cramping, but for the great carbs and energy they provide.  Being a runner, carbs are essential, especially on a long race.

And I might add, my husband brought home a bag that you put bananas in and place in the refrigerator to make them last much, much longer--and it works!

a big YES to the bananas and coconut water

My son is a college athlete and coconut water is a staple for him, my daughter is a champion irish dancer and it was always very important for her to eat her bananas before competing . I am a big believer in both.

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Darned cramps!

I agree that you have to keep your vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes up. That includes sodium (salt), which I absolutely hate, but try to keep up, anyway. In high temp environments, a lot of sodium is lost in sweat - that can lead to cramping. I tried a coconut water and thought it was wonderful, what was that sandysp talking about, anyway, saying it didn't taste so good? Then I read the label - aloe and sucrose added. >_<

(Avocados have nearly double the potassium of bananas, by the way. Love them both.)

There are descrete, specifically mapped spots in muscles all over the body called "myofascial trigger points". When irritated, trigger points are easily stimulated, causing muscle contraction and a specific pattern of pain. Is it possible that you are experiencing pain at a trigger point, causing muscle spasms and the cramping? This article discusses myofascial trigger points and shows where they most frequently crop up: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0215/p653.html

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member

Darned cramps!

I agree that you have to keep your vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes up. That includes sodium (salt), which I absolutely hate, but try to keep up, anyway. In high temp environments, a lot of sodium is lost in sweat - that can lead to cramping. I tried a coconut water and thought it was wonderful, what was that sandysp talking about, anyway, saying it didn't taste so good? Then I read the label - aloe and sucrose added. >_<

(Avocados have nearly double the potassium of bananas, by the way. Love them both.)

There are descrete, specifically mapped spots in muscles all over the body called "myofascial trigger points". When irritated, trigger points are easily stimulated, causing muscle contraction and a specific pattern of pain. Is it possible that you are experiencing pain at a trigger point, causing muscle spasms and the cramping? This article discusses myofascial trigger points and shows where they most frequently crop up: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0215/p653.html

Ouch!

Awesome information!  I will pass this along to my ataxia group as cramping is a HUGE problem for us.  So is a lot of unexplained pain that cannot be relieved with nerve blockers.  I will also discuss with my neurolgist on November 1st.    Thank you, thank you for not just accepting your fate but continue to explore causes! 

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    mp327 said:

Sandy

A bannana bag

What a great idea! I will look for one.

• Helen321
    sandysp said:

Coconut water

All the best,

Sandy

I tried he coconut water for

I tried he coconut water for a while but I find it gross, even the flavored ones.  I can add it to smoothies so I will have to go back to that for a bit.  I'm also getting really sick of bananas.  It's hard to drink or eat something every day unless you really like it.  I have to remind myself that it's like medication, it keeps you healthy to do it daily.  I think I'll freeze it then blend it as a part of a frozen smoothie.

• Helen321
    sandysp said:

A bannana bag

Also if you wrap the top of

Also if you wrap the top of bananas with plastic and then hang them, they will generally last an additional 4 or 5 days.  I tested it and it does work.  The reason seems to be that it takes the pressure off of the stem as they ripen.  https://snapguide.com/guides/keep-bananas-fresh-longer/

• mp327
    sandysp said:

A bannana bag

Sandy

I wish I could tell you where to find one, but it was in a box of things someone dropped by his office as a thank you for building their home.  Of all the things in the box, he picked that to bring home.  Good choice!  If I can find one on the internet, I'll post a link.

• eihtak
    mp327 said:

Sandy

I wish I could tell you where to find one, but it was in a box of things someone dropped by his office as a thank you for building their home.  Of all the things in the box, he picked that to bring home.  Good choice!  If I can find one on the internet, I'll post a link.

Banana bag.....

I've seen them on amazon for under 10.00 !!!!!  Put it on your Christmas list, lol!!