Question Please; what does "A typical Squamas Cell Undertermined Signifigance" mean?

Options
Tim6003
Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
edited September 2014 in Anal Cancer #1

Hello All.

Had an anal pap smear - the test results came back.

What does "A typical Squamas Cell Undertermined Signifigance" mean?

I am a stagee III base of tongue SCC survivor. HPV / non-smokre or drinker.  Last treatment was January 2012.  I have had all clean scans NED ever sicne. About a month ago I had a mean rash that occurred in my groin area.  I lost 100 lbs since my treatments and I have some extra skin over my gut (belly flap) I started a new job and my job requires me to drive (sales and marketing) alllllll day long.  I wear briefs and the doctor determined I most likely had a "yeast infection".  Now as a guy, I never even knew that could happen???  Well, the rash got worse before I went to the doctor and seemed to spread to under the belly, both creases of my legs and my butt cheeks / anal cavity.  The gave me Diflucan, but then the pap smear also showed E-coli, so they gave me an antibiotic as well.  The E-coli test came back fast, I just got the pap smear results back today...and thus the question above.

Obviously due to my HPV history, I will follow up quickly with a doctor for an HRA and a DRE (I read this is why I know this)....but just can't seem to get a straight answer as to the above result.  Do I or do I not have cancerous cells?  If I do, what are the chances I caught it early?

NOTE:  I had a colonoscopy in 2013 (1.5 years ago)...would that have detected something???

Thank you.

Tim

Comments

• nicotianna
    nicotianna Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Tim

Your doctor should review your path report with you & answer all of these questions.  However, I think your report probably stated "atypical" rather than "a typical".  It seems that your results are suspicious & may need to be retested or that you should be watched closely.  If it is bad it seems early to me.

I think the colonoscopy 1.5 years ago probably would not have detected this.

What is HRA?  I would think an anoscopy should be considered.

I am not a doctor.  Wishing you the very best!  Keep us posted.

Nic

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Tim....

It sounds like you are on this whatever it is. While this came out of the context of cervical cancer it may still be applicable to your situation:

An ASCUS pap smear result is considered to be mildly abnormal. This is the most common type of abnormal Pap smear. ASCUS stands for Atypical Cells of Undetermined Significance,and basically means there were mild cellular changes and the the cause in unknown.

The first step in managing an ASCUS Pap smear is to repeat the Pap test. Many times a slight infection or cervical inflammation may causes a Pap to come back as ASCUS. The Pap may be repeated immediately or within 4-6 months. The doctor may prescribe an antibiotic to clear up any possible infection prior to the repeat Pap.

Obviously you do not have cervical inflamation Embarassed I am no doctor but certainly sound like a yeast infection to me. Yeast can grow in any warm moist area on the body and is usually quite itchy!

Good luck, let us know what you find out and I will keep you in my thought for speedy healing!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Follow-up

Have you spoken with the MD that took the test or with her office staff (RN, Nurse Practioner, Physicians Assistant)? You have the right to ask questions and have an explaination that you understand.

Don't be concerned as yeast infections can occur anywhere there is heat, moisture, and darkness: female vaginas, male abdominal flaps, basements.

• Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Follow-up

Have you spoken with the MD that took the test or with her office staff (RN, Nurse Practioner, Physicians Assistant)? You have the right to ask questions and have an explaination that you understand.

Don't be concerned as yeast infections can occur anywhere there is heat, moisture, and darkness: female vaginas, male abdominal flaps, basements.

Follow up

My test results were literally "read" to me by the nurse.  I did ask for a doctor to call if the nurse was not comfortable aswering my questions (I don't know why a nurse calls if she can't answer questions, but then maybe it's all the liability issues).

Doctor called back.  Explained that ACUS means my cells are NOT cancerous (displaysia she said would be what I don't want to hear) but simply abnormal. This doctor was also the one who has seen me my last two visits and she remember me in the office.  She said with my HPV history and my cancer history, a HRA would be a great follow up.  I did test negative for HPV. Otherwise another pap smear would usually be orderd in a few months.  As all doctors, the pap smear and findings can't guarantee I don't have a cancer somewhere, but therer were no cancer cells found..just the ACUS and again, with my history she would prefer immediate follow up and at minimum a pap smear every 6 months if not annually.

I had already made an appt to see a colorectal doctor this Monday.  The lady who scheduled my appt said a DRA (digital rectal exam) will at least be the minimum they do along with a visual examination with a light and magnifying glass.  I doctor I saw today as of this post has forwarded my records / refferral to the doctor I will see Monday.

Thank you all for your feedback.  It's been a while since I have been on this forum, and I was alway in the head and neck forum......but all the folks in here are a great resource.

Tim

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

Follow up

My test results were literally "read" to me by the nurse.  I did ask for a doctor to call if the nurse was not comfortable aswering my questions (I don't know why a nurse calls if she can't answer questions, but then maybe it's all the liability issues).

Doctor called back.  Explained that ACUS means my cells are NOT cancerous (displaysia she said would be what I don't want to hear) but simply abnormal. This doctor was also the one who has seen me my last two visits and she remember me in the office.  She said with my HPV history and my cancer history, a HRA would be a great follow up.  I did test negative for HPV. Otherwise another pap smear would usually be orderd in a few months.  As all doctors, the pap smear and findings can't guarantee I don't have a cancer somewhere, but therer were no cancer cells found..just the ACUS and again, with my history she would prefer immediate follow up and at minimum a pap smear every 6 months if not annually.

I had already made an appt to see a colorectal doctor this Monday.  The lady who scheduled my appt said a DRA (digital rectal exam) will at least be the minimum they do along with a visual examination with a light and magnifying glass.  I doctor I saw today as of this post has forwarded my records / refferral to the doctor I will see Monday.

Thank you all for your feedback.  It's been a while since I have been on this forum, and I was alway in the head and neck forum......but all the folks in here are a great resource.

Tim

Tim

You are wise to see a colorectal doc, even though the atypical cells do not mean you have cancer.  As someone else explained, cervical pap smears often show ASCUS but do not mean there is cancer present.  The usual follow-up is to have the pap repeated in a few months to see if the cells have returned to completely normal status.  Just make sure you and your doctors keep up a regular follow-up schedule.  I wish you all the best.

Martha

• sephie
    sephie Member Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    go to colorectal surgeon

you need a high resolution anoscope---perhaps that is HRA....of the anus....colonoscopy will miss anal cancer many times..... gastro enterologists are not as trained in anal cancer as colorrectal surgeon...... sephie

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    sephie said:

go to colorectal surgeon

you need a high resolution anoscope---perhaps that is HRA....of the anus....colonoscopy will miss anal cancer many times..... gastro enterologists are not as trained in anal cancer as colorrectal surgeon...... sephie

Ditto

I am here to Ditto Sephie. Find the best you can find. 

Sincerely,

Sandy

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    sandysp said:

Ditto

I am here to Ditto Sephie. Find the best you can find. 

Sincerely,

Sandy

Ditto ditto

The gastro I recently saw said that if he sees something suspicious on his way past the anal area, he'll biopsy it, but the colonoscope takes shallower biopsies that a colo-rectal surgeon can with his equipment.