Biopsy scheduled

2»

Comments

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    sandysp said:

Thanks - that's a good tip

Monday - for all tumors? Thanks for preparing me it might be next week.

I just went on line and saw that there is a machine called a fluorescent bronchoscopy which lights up in color healthy tissue as opposed to cancerous tissue. So he saw stuff. That he isn't talking gives me the heeby jeebies.

It's obviously not just a mucous plug or he would have said I am fine. That being said, he did a "lavage" treatment that actually has helped me with "blowing" air. I am still sore from whatever on my right side in my shoulder and down my back, sometimes in my chest. I am trying to make sure I don't hold my breath.

Well, speaking of breath - I'm off to Hot Yoga to at least take my mind off all this and to continue breathing:-).

Fondly,

Sandy

sandysp

True not sure if they are all in there on Monday but I know for sure our colorectal team is in there Monday nights with the pathologists and radiologists and there are sometimes 50 people in the meeting. I hope you don't have to wait too long, enjoy your yoga but take it easy !

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    sandysp said:

Thanks - that's a good tip

Monday - for all tumors? Thanks for preparing me it might be next week.

I just went on line and saw that there is a machine called a fluorescent bronchoscopy which lights up in color healthy tissue as opposed to cancerous tissue. So he saw stuff. That he isn't talking gives me the heeby jeebies.

It's obviously not just a mucous plug or he would have said I am fine. That being said, he did a "lavage" treatment that actually has helped me with "blowing" air. I am still sore from whatever on my right side in my shoulder and down my back, sometimes in my chest. I am trying to make sure I don't hold my breath.

Well, speaking of breath - I'm off to Hot Yoga to at least take my mind off all this and to continue breathing:-).

Fondly,

Sandy

OOOOOPS!

My husband told me at dinner tonight that the doctor said he didn't see anything suspicious. He couldn't remember the exact words. He said he thought I heard the conversation when he asked the doctor. I said, "Me with one ear, coming out of general anesthesia and on morphine could hear a conversation he was having with you????" I can't believe he didn't go over this with me even in marital counseling where he rolls his eyes over how obsessed I am with this instead of keeping the focus on him:-) (he doesn't really say that but it's implied). I married a motorcycling Peter Pan.

But we had a nice dinner together. I feel much more upbeat. This is what a doctor would usually say after a procedure like this if it's true. The biopsy results may not be as important as I have thought they were. There is still something there though that grew and so Lisa, you are probably right that there may need still to be a decision by the "tumor committee" as to what to do about that so close to my heart.

Thank you all for your patience with me. I have come very close to pouring myself a glass of red wine these last couple of months (July 22nd was the scan). But I really don't want to get back into the habit of drinking. It's an easy habit to make and a hard habit to break. I never was addicted like having any kind of withdrawal symptoms, other than the type of slowly seeing everything more clearly which kind of took my breath away (pardon the pun considering all things). I just keep saying to myself "empty calories with no nutritional value". And only one glass a day is healthy and "what's the point of that:-)? ha, ha!

Fondly,

Sandy

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    sandysp said:

OOOOOPS!

My husband told me at dinner tonight that the doctor said he didn't see anything suspicious. He couldn't remember the exact words. He said he thought I heard the conversation when he asked the doctor. I said, "Me with one ear, coming out of general anesthesia and on morphine could hear a conversation he was having with you????" I can't believe he didn't go over this with me even in marital counseling where he rolls his eyes over how obsessed I am with this instead of keeping the focus on him:-) (he doesn't really say that but it's implied). I married a motorcycling Peter Pan.

But we had a nice dinner together. I feel much more upbeat. This is what a doctor would usually say after a procedure like this if it's true. The biopsy results may not be as important as I have thought they were. There is still something there though that grew and so Lisa, you are probably right that there may need still to be a decision by the "tumor committee" as to what to do about that so close to my heart.

Thank you all for your patience with me. I have come very close to pouring myself a glass of red wine these last couple of months (July 22nd was the scan). But I really don't want to get back into the habit of drinking. It's an easy habit to make and a hard habit to break. I never was addicted like having any kind of withdrawal symptoms, other than the type of slowly seeing everything more clearly which kind of took my breath away (pardon the pun considering all things). I just keep saying to myself "empty calories with no nutritional value". And only one glass a day is healthy and "what's the point of that:-)? ha, ha!

Fondly,

Sandy

Hi Sandy!

Oh, I so hope that your doctor did indeed say that he didn't see anything suspicious!  That would be such great news, which I hope you will hear soon.  Like your husband, mine is always short on delaying details when it comes to relaying information to me.  He has never been able to understand my need for details, even when it comes to health issues. 

As for alcohol use, I applaud you for giving it up.  I can't say I've done that and usually have 2-3 drinks per week. 

I do hope you'll get those biopsy results before this weekend and that all the news will be good.  I am praying for you, my friend.

Martha

• sandysp
    mp327 said:

Hi Sandy!

Oh, I so hope that your doctor did indeed say that he didn't see anything suspicious!  That would be such great news, which I hope you will hear soon.  Like your husband, mine is always short on delaying details when it comes to relaying information to me.  He has never been able to understand my need for details, even when it comes to health issues. 

As for alcohol use, I applaud you for giving it up.  I can't say I've done that and usually have 2-3 drinks per week. 

I do hope you'll get those biopsy results before this weekend and that all the news will be good.  I am praying for you, my friend.

Martha

You have it all together, Martha

You have it all together. Two or three drinks a week won't hurt. I am a glutton of sorts. I notice with Frozen Yogurt when I put it in my small bowl piled over the top that no matter what the portion, when I take that last bite, I will so want another and another! (and another).

Maybe if I had a glass of wine I would be like you as the "new me" and only have two or three drinks a week but I make a daily decision just to stay away from it all together. I got to drinking heavily in the past, so it may be I am still the same and will drink heavily in the future too. It was hard to quit and much easier just to make a decision every day not to drink today.

Anyway, I seem to be managing without it even with all this uncertainty, a reality which pleasantly surprises me. Lisa helped a lot when she told me about the tumor board. Sure enough, I did not hear from the doctor's office today and didn't call again. His secretary's voice was quivering last time. I am sure she gets a lot of unhappy people talking to her every day who want their results NOW since Dr. Lee does biopsies for a living. I have heard how some of the staff is spoken to at MSKCC who deal with distraught and angry patients and their care givers and have marveled at how well trained they are at their jobs. Some of it is the HR department just hiring the right types for the job, no doubt. Anyway, I gave her a break today and didn't ask again.

All the best, 

Sandy

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    sandysp said:

You have it all together. Two or three drinks a week won't hurt. I am a glutton of sorts. I notice with Frozen Yogurt when I put it in my small bowl piled over the top that no matter what the portion, when I take that last bite, I will so want another and another! (and another).

Maybe if I had a glass of wine I would be like you as the "new me" and only have two or three drinks a week but I make a daily decision just to stay away from it all together. I got to drinking heavily in the past, so it may be I am still the same and will drink heavily in the future too. It was hard to quit and much easier just to make a decision every day not to drink today.

Anyway, I seem to be managing without it even with all this uncertainty, a reality which pleasantly surprises me. Lisa helped a lot when she told me about the tumor board. Sure enough, I did not hear from the doctor's office today and didn't call again. His secretary's voice was quivering last time. I am sure she gets a lot of unhappy people talking to her every day who want their results NOW since Dr. Lee does biopsies for a living. I have heard how some of the staff is spoken to at MSKCC who deal with distraught and angry patients and their care givers and have marveled at how well trained they are at their jobs. Some of it is the HR department just hiring the right types for the job, no doubt. Anyway, I gave her a break today and didn't ask again.

All the best, 

Sandy

gracious sandysp

No matter what's what, from the short time I've been here, I see you take everything with grace, calm, and goodwill, just like your smiing photograph avatar implies.

Waiting is so hard sometimes. Years fly by while minutes just drraaagggg.....Now, how is that possible?

Virtual kisses and room-temperature yoga for once!

• mp327
    sandysp said:

All the best, 

Sandy

Sandy

I have worked in enough medical facilities to know what you mean about impatient patients!  I've been screamed at, cussed at, etc.  I always had to remind myself that when people are ill, don't feel good, are frightened, or are facing an uphill healthcare battle, they are not at their best, personality-wise.  I'm sure I was short a time or two when my buns were on fire!

I am the same way when it comes to treats.  That half-cup serving is just never enough!  Many times, I will go back for more, all the while telling myself how weak I am!  My treat after dinner every evening these days is a container of flavored greek yogurt.  Oikos is awesome!

It never even used to occur to me to order a drink when we would go out for dinner.  However, we now hang out at the same restaurant week after week and have become friends with many of the regulars who also hang out there.  That is an environment where it's hard to be the one not drinking.  And I have to say that I just enjoy the stuff--in moderation.  If someone came into my house and looked in the cabinet, they would think my husband and I are real boozers, as we have lots of bottles of various types of alcohol.  Many of them were gifts.  Some of those bottles are quite old, but that stuff doesn't go bad!  If all of those bottles were sitting on the counter, they would be collecting lots of dust!  LOL!  We don't drink much at home, only enjoying it when we go out.

I hope you have a nice weekend, despite the fact that you are still waiting on those results.  I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, my sweet friend!

Martha 

• sephie
    sephie Member Posts: 650 Member
    sandysp said:

OOOOOPS!

Fondly,

Sandy

just like you

hey, sandy,    hope you get all great news...... i am the same way with sugar..... love it ...love it....love it.......sweets are my addiction......soooo alcohol is sweet....i do not drink at all ...... i was in so much pain that i would have just kept on drinking to numb myself ......then i would have probably fallen out of the bed or down on the floor and torn my anal tissue.....so  i knew not to drink.... plus i was by myself most of the time and had to have a "brain"  to figure it all out..... which i did a horrible job of that.....of course, my tx was wayyyy back over 5 years ago and this site for us was barely up.... i had no one to get info from.....anyway  nope all turns out great..... love your happy smiling face.....sephie

• sandysp
    sephie said:

just like you

hey, sandy,    hope you get all great news...... i am the same way with sugar..... love it ...love it....love it.......sweets are my addiction......soooo alcohol is sweet....i do not drink at all ...... i was in so much pain that i would have just kept on drinking to numb myself ......then i would have probably fallen out of the bed or down on the floor and torn my anal tissue.....so  i knew not to drink.... plus i was by myself most of the time and had to have a "brain"  to figure it all out..... which i did a horrible job of that.....of course, my tx was wayyyy back over 5 years ago and this site for us was barely up.... i had no one to get info from.....anyway  nope all turns out great..... love your happy smiling face.....sephie

Where would I be without y'all?

The doctor's office called today to say that the results are still "pending" and the doctor will call me when he gets them.

Lisa, you really helped me here by telling me about the tumor committee. I spoke with my internist about this and she said that our local hospital does that for every breast cancer patient cared for there and she as the internist for her patients sits in with the oncologists, radiologists, surgeons, etc. I wish she could sit in with the committee at MSKCC. But it's a secret committee.

I was able to wish the doctor's assistant a happy weekend to her and Dr. Lee in good humor because I already knew or felt that Lisa had spoken truth to me and this would be what would happen. I am so glad I am not feeling any resentment but instead appreciation for their thoroughness.

I am speculating that this thing whatever it is, isn't going to be easy to "pluck" out might be the issue here. I am sure some thought goes into how to present to a patient their options. I am probabably going with the watch and wait approach but that's because I really don't want them to make me sick if I am not going to get better or go through a painful and risky operation if it's not going to make that much difference for the end time. But I at one point didn't think I would even have the biopsy, and come to think of it, said I would never have chemo or radiation.

Maybe they will say it's not cancer and it's not mets, we don't know what it is. Won't be the first time that has happened.

My husband is off on the motorcycle for eight days. I got a friend from church to commit to go with me for my appointment with the doctor when the time comes.

All the best,

Love and thanks again,

Sandy

• mp327
    sandysp said:

The doctor's office called today to say that the results are still "pending" and the doctor will call me when he gets them.

Lisa, you really helped me here by telling me about the tumor committee. I spoke with my internist about this and she said that our local hospital does that for every breast cancer patient cared for there and she as the internist for her patients sits in with the oncologists, radiologists, surgeons, etc. I wish she could sit in with the committee at MSKCC. But it's a secret committee.

I was able to wish the doctor's assistant a happy weekend to her and Dr. Lee in good humor because I already knew or felt that Lisa had spoken truth to me and this would be what would happen. I am so glad I am not feeling any resentment but instead appreciation for their thoroughness.

I am speculating that this thing whatever it is, isn't going to be easy to "pluck" out might be the issue here. I am sure some thought goes into how to present to a patient their options. I am probabably going with the watch and wait approach but that's because I really don't want them to make me sick if I am not going to get better or go through a painful and risky operation if it's not going to make that much difference for the end time. But I at one point didn't think I would even have the biopsy, and come to think of it, said I would never have chemo or radiation.

Maybe they will say it's not cancer and it's not mets, we don't know what it is. Won't be the first time that has happened.

My husband is off on the motorcycle for eight days. I got a friend from church to commit to go with me for my appointment with the doctor when the time comes.

All the best,

Love and thanks again,

Sandy

Sandy

I think it's quite thoughtful for your doctor's office to call and let you know that the results are still pending.  No, it's not like having them call to say everything came back and it's all good, but at least you know that your case has not been lost in space!  They obviously are aware of how difficult it is for someone to be in wait mode.  I'm glad you will have someone going with you for that appointment.  I am still praying for all good news for you!

Martha

• nicotianna
    nicotianna Member Posts: 209
    sandysp said:

All the best,

Love and thanks again,

Sandy

Sandy

So happy for you that that thing is not cancer:)  Hope that "it" can be treated or removed.

Nic

• sandysp

Sandy

So happy for you that that thing is not cancer:)  Hope that "it" can be treated or removed.

Nic

I don't know what it is or isn't yet

I am hoping it isn't cancer but I still don't know anything for sure. 

But I hope you are right. You have much more knowledge than I do. I will know for sure what this is about when the doctor is ready to share information that must have by now but haven't evaluated enough to get back to me.

Thanks for your well wishes, Nic. 

How are you feeling?

All the best,

Sandy

• sandysp
    mp327 said:

Sandy

I think it's quite thoughtful for your doctor's office to call and let you know that the results are still pending.  No, it's not like having them call to say everything came back and it's all good, but at least you know that your case has not been lost in space!  They obviously are aware of how difficult it is for someone to be in wait mode.  I'm glad you will have someone going with you for that appointment.  I am still praying for all good news for you!

Martha

You are right

They have to go through this with every biopsy or at least many biopsies. So I am sure they understand about wait mode. I am going with the attitude that "no news is no news." It doesn't probably mean anything how long it is taking. I have to stop my brain from working over time speculating.

Thanks for being there, dear Martha:-)

All the best,

Sandy

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    sephie said:

just like you

Hug

Reply to sephie (though it didn't line up with your message for some reason) - I'm ready to cry, reading your post. I am so sorry that you had to be on your own throughout the treatment. I can't imagine how awful that must have been.

Wishing you an empathetic virtual hug and a great glass of fine qualty plum wine (sweeeet!).

• sephie
    sephie Member Posts: 650 Member

Hug

Reply to sephie (though it didn't line up with your message for some reason) - I'm ready to cry, reading your post. I am so sorry that you had to be on your own throughout the treatment. I can't imagine how awful that must have been.

Wishing you an empathetic virtual hug and a great glass of fine qualty plum wine (sweeeet!).

thx, ouch ouch ouch

thank you for the Hug..... just to clarify,  i had some help from hubby Saturday to Monday on most of the weeks..... just not during the week.....so i did not do this entirely on my own.....hubby had to drive in 7 hours each weekend and go back to work..... he did this for all but 2 weekends..... i still felt like i could not be fuzzy at all with pain meds or wine cause i had to be able to figure stuff out.... thx  again soooo much.....sephie

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    sandysp said:

All the best,

Love and thanks again,

Sandy

sandysp

Thinking of you today Sandy, hope to hear some good news soon from you, you are such a positive and nuturing spirit so I am sure there is lots of positive energy coming your way

xoxo