Vitamins,supplements, and herbal remedies/lymphoma

givingrace
givingrace Member Posts: 161

Hi,

I have been told sometimes vitamins, supplements, herbal remedies may actually be not a good idea before , during, or after treatment. Something about it feeding the cancer like sugars.

I have started a routine of B-12,C,calcium,magnesium,D,and my wheat grass powder. Now that I may be facing rituxen (if it can be used on 2nd diagnoses) or some other chemo meds,or even watch and wait.I am wandering if my supplements are feeding the lymphoma or not.

I'm curious as to what others think of this topic. 

~givingrace~

Comments

• NANCYL1
    NANCYL1 Member Posts: 289
    SUPPLEMENTS

I would ask the doctor if you need any supplements.  My oncologist thought I might need B12 because my platelets were down.  He did a blood test and found that I did not need B-12.   I also was tested a couple of years ago for D, and found that I did not need that one either.  I would check anthing new with the oncologist.

Nancy

• givingrace
    Thanks Nancy, 
    I will make

Thanks Nancy, 

I will make sure threw my Oncologist. I have been reading a lot on this forum and I must have gone threw my last episode of cancer with my eyes closed.I

could have caused a reaction because I took a ton of vitamins and my wheat grass and never asked anyone. I do not recommend anyone to do that. I was just luck.

• NANCYL1

Thanks Nancy, 
    I will make

Thanks Nancy, 

I will make sure threw my Oncologist. I have been reading a lot on this forum and I must have gone threw my last episode of cancer with my eyes closed.I

could have caused a reaction because I took a ton of vitamins and my wheat grass and never asked anyone. I do not recommend anyone to do that. I was just luck.

SUPPLEMENTS

Givingrace:

Everytime I visit my oncologist, his nurse checks on what pills I am taking, including supplements, and asks if there is anything new.

Some of the folks on this board are very knowledgeable re cancer.  I have been going around with my eyes closed a good deal of the time re cancer, also.

Seeing you with a fishing pole reminds me of my fishing days in the Long Island Sound: a kid with a dropline, sitting on a huge rock catching many blowfish.  Biggest catch:  27.    Graduated to a pole eventually.

Nancy

• givingrace
    NANCYL1 said:

SUPPLEMENTS

Givingrace:

Everytime I visit my oncologist, his nurse checks on what pills I am taking, including supplements, and asks if there is anything new.

Some of the folks on this board are very knowledgeable re cancer.  I have been going around with my eyes closed a good deal of the time re cancer, also.

Seeing you with a fishing pole reminds me of my fishing days in the Long Island Sound: a kid with a dropline, sitting on a huge rock catching many blowfish.  Biggest catch:  27.    Graduated to a pole eventually.

Nancy

Yes , I actually get more

Yes , I actually get more info. about cancer then other places online. It's amazing when you get diagnosed with something that you don't really know much about and then all of a sudden you start soaking this new info in because it is about your life. I'm so happy I found this forum. 

Fishing is so relaxing to me. Love it !

I never caught a blow fish , that must have been pretty cool .

givin~grace :)

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    NANCYL1 said:

SUPPLEMENTS

Givingrace:

Nancy

L.I.

Nancy it brought back memories when you mentioned Long Island Sound. I was at Sub Base New London for some time, and also pulled in there at times years later, when on a boat out of Charleston.  On one visit I was driving a rental car down to New York City when the news broke that the singer Harry Chapin had been killed in an auto crash on the Island. I believe the year was '84 or '85.   

So many memories, good and bad, of the area, which I enjoyed a lot.

max

• LaurieKW
    LaurieKW Member Posts: 14
    Vitamins

Hi - just a note re vitamins/supplements - check with your doctor.  I was told to discontinue fish oils (due to blood thinning property) and calcium and, after blood tests, was told to take  more vitamin D.  Smart of you to check! 

• NANCYL1

L.I.

Nancy it brought back memories when you mentioned Long Island Sound. I was at Sub Base New London for some time, and also pulled in there at times years later, when on a boat out of Charleston.  On one visit I was driving a rental car down to New York City when the news broke that the singer Harry Chapin had been killed in an auto crash on the Island. I believe the year was '84 or '85.   

So many memories, good and bad, of the area, which I enjoyed a lot.

max

LONG ISLAND

Max:

I loved Southhold, Long Island.  Went there on vacation.   We swam in the LI Sound and never thought about sharks. Wonder whether any were there.  Must have been a few.   Of course, this was pre-Jaws and pre-Cable TV.  Could not think of who Harry Chapin was.  Looked him up:

Harry Forster Chapin (December 7, 1942 – July 16, 1981) was an American singer-songwriter best known for his folk rock songs including "Taxi," "W*O*L*D," "Sniper", "Flowers Are Red," and the No. 1 hit "Cat's in the Cradle." Chapin was also a dedicated humanitarian who fought to end world hunger; he was a key participant in the creation of the Presidential Commission on World Hungerin 1977.[1] In 1987, Chapin was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for his humanitarian work

Nancy

• NANCYL1

Yes , I actually get more

Yes , I actually get more info. about cancer then other places online. It's amazing when you get diagnosed with something that you don't really know much about and then all of a sudden you start soaking this new info in because it is about your life. I'm so happy I found this forum. 

Fishing is so relaxing to me. Love it !

I never caught a blow fish , that must have been pretty cool .

givin~grace :)

BLOWFISH

Blowfish are "cool."  I have a photo of my brother with a puffed up face holding a puffed up blowfish.  I think there are no more blowfish.  Never hear about them anymore.

nancy

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    NANCYL1 said:

LONG ISLAND

Max:

I loved Southhold, Long Island.  Went there on vacation.   We swam in the LI Sound and never thought about sharks. Wonder whether any were there.  Must have been a few.   Of course, this was pre-Jaws and pre-Cable TV.  Could not think of who Harry Chapin was.  Looked him up:

Harry Forster Chapin (December 7, 1942 – July 16, 1981) was an American singer-songwriter best known for his folk rock songs including "Taxi," "W*O*L*D," "Sniper", "Flowers Are Red," and the No. 1 hit "Cat's in the Cradle." Chapin was also a dedicated humanitarian who fought to end world hunger; he was a key participant in the creation of the Presidential Commission on World Hungerin 1977.[1] In 1987, Chapin was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for his humanitarian work

Nancy

Thanks

Thanks, Nancy.  1981: That means it was during my first assignment in Groton, not later. 

Anyone in the area of Groton, CT (I-95 goes right by the town) should stop and tour the original USS Nautilus, the world's first-ever nuclear powered sub, and the first ever to surface at the North Pole.  Located just outside the main entrance to SUb Base. Open to the public, but a small admissions fee.   I went to the Pole several times on my boat, but we only got out on the ice on one of those passes.

max

• LaurieKW said:

Vitamins

Hi - just a note re vitamins/supplements - check with your doctor.  I was told to discontinue fish oils (due to blood thinning property) and calcium and, after blood tests, was told to take  more vitamin D.  Smart of you to check! 

Vitamins

I was just told to discontinue any fish oil, multivitamins, anything with iron, any herbal remedies. Tea is ok as long as it does not contain echinacea. CoQ-10 is ok for me.

• Thanks

Thanks, Nancy.  1981: That means it was during my first assignment in Groton, not later. 

Anyone in the area of Groton, CT (I-95 goes right by the town) should stop and tour the original USS Nautilus, the world's first-ever nuclear powered sub, and the first ever to surface at the North Pole.  Located just outside the main entrance to SUb Base. Open to the public, but a small admissions fee.   I went to the Pole several times on my boat, but we only got out on the ice on one of those passes.

max

Thats when I was in Nova Scotia "serving in silence" .

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    A great question for doctor

Sugar: cancer cells use sugar as their primary energy source, consuming the sugars that are in your blood. Cut all sugar out?

No! Your healthy cells also must have the same sugar to survive and divide normally. Your body closely regulates your sugar levels and will produce it if you have too little. If you eat no sugar, your liver will excrete the enzymes necessary to turn any stored energy into sugar. Moderate consumption? Sure.

It is said that cancer cells love anti-oxidants, as those compounds protect your cells. Cancer cells are you own cells - mutated cells like an evil twin, but still your own cells. Why protect them? When you are in remission, it is a different story.

All of the other supplements must/should be cleared with doctor, as they have the potential to inhibit the production of liver enzymes which are necessary to metabolize any treatment that you are receivng. 

• givingrace
    po18guy said:

A great question for doctor

Sugar: cancer cells use sugar as their primary energy source, consuming the sugars that are in your blood. Cut all sugar out?

No! Your healthy cells also must have the same sugar to survive and divide normally. Your body closely regulates your sugar levels and will produce it if you have too little. If you eat no sugar, your liver will excrete the enzymes necessary to turn any stored energy into sugar. Moderate consumption? Sure.

It is said that cancer cells love anti-oxidants, as those compounds protect your cells. Cancer cells are you own cells - mutated cells like an evil twin, but still your own cells. Why protect them? When you are in remission, it is a different story.

All of the other supplements must/should be cleared with doctor, as they have the potential to inhibit the production of liver enzymes which are necessary to metabolize any treatment that you are receivng. 

Thanks everyone.  I freaked

Thanks everyone.  I freaked this morning cuz I actually put wheat grass powder in my smoothie this morning .

I will be very verbal and talk to my oncologist about all this. Thx.

GG