Hearing Loss...

JC F
JC F Member Posts: 74

So, I've done 23 rads and 2 cisplatin chemos and have the usual side effects...but I told the doctors a few days after the second chemo that I was having definite hearing problems, especially in my right ear and am losing constant tones that pitch in the ear and then disappear. They said they will defintely not go the cisplatin route for the final chemo and will come up with a different chemo, maybe carboplatin (which is still platinum based so I'm not sure about that), or something else entirely...have any of you experienced hearing loss after the cisplatin and did your hearing eventually improve after tx or did it remain the same? I sure as hell do not want to lose any more hearing and am hoping that it will improve after the tx...thanks for any info...

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    JC F, i didn't have chemo but

JC F, i didn't have chemo but they are many here who did.  I know a few have lost some heaing due to it.  i'm sure they will chime in.  not sure what chemo they had so maybe it was different.  praying for you not to lose any more and for it to improve with time.  good luck.

God bless you,

dj

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    I had concurrent radiation

I had concurrent radiation and chemo treatment for nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC), ended a year and half ago. I had 2 chemo sessions with cisplatin, 3 weeks apart. There were supposed to be 3 sessions during radiation, but only first 2 occurred due to ototoxicity and other side effects. The hearing loss was evident after each cisplatin treatment (the following day after chemo, with loss for higher pitched sounds, and tinnitus). Since my NPC was stage 3, I also had chemo after finishing the concurrent radiation and chemo, with carboplatin (also platinum based) and 5FU. Carboplatin was much better tolerated, and no hearing loss issues. My hearing loss is permanent, and no improvements noticed since the treatment ended (except maybe that I don’t notice the tinnitus any more, unless I think about it). I wear hearing aids that help me understand human voice, but not helpful for enjoying music. I also have problems determining the sound location, although both ears are equally effected, and the nature of sounds.

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Hearing

I lost most of my hearing in my right ear, on the side of surgery and strongest radiation. I didn't have chemo, the onc said it was the radiation.

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Hearing Loss

My husband had 3 cisplatin treatments the first time with radiation and 7 carboplatin treatments the second time with radiation.  He has lost a lot of his hearing.  Don't know if this was from the chemo, radiation, or age.  But his hearing has not improved since treatment and the last treatment was 2 years ago.

Another thing, everyone reacts and recovers from treatment differently.  

Wishing you the best -- Sharon

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Not hearing

I had moderate to severe hearing loss from the cisplatin in 2007.  And it won't be coming back.  It hasn't gotten worse, but my understanding of what people are saying has deminished.  I also have hearing aids.  Had them for 6 and half years now.  Need to start considering new ones soon.

• luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    ONE OF THE MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF CISPLATIN

Cispplatin was my first drug used in summer of 2010. Worked good on the cancer, but lost 30%-50% of my hearing on the right side and have god awfull Tinnitus, with no solving the Tinnitus issue. 4 years later I am back on Cisplatin, maintenance dose once a week. Been on it 6-8 weeks and losing more hearing on the right side and worsening of the Tinnitus. Ill trade these side effects VS the Taxotere I was forced to stop as it kept the cancer at bay with nothing showing on CT of my lung and mediasynal nodes, but the drug gave me such bad Pleural Efflusions, I had to have a catheter place in my right side and drained every other night for 5 months.

Best

Mike

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428

ONE OF THE MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS OF CISPLATIN

Cispplatin was my first drug used in summer of 2010. Worked good on the cancer, but lost 30%-50% of my hearing on the right side and have god awfull Tinnitus, with no solving the Tinnitus issue. 4 years later I am back on Cisplatin, maintenance dose once a week. Been on it 6-8 weeks and losing more hearing on the right side and worsening of the Tinnitus. Ill trade these side effects VS the Taxotere I was forced to stop as it kept the cancer at bay with nothing showing on CT of my lung and mediasynal nodes, but the drug gave me such bad Pleural Efflusions, I had to have a catheter place in my right side and drained every other night for 5 months.

Best

Mike

Tinitus

I use hearing aids, and when I'm awake, with them on, the tinitus does not bother me.

At night, I take two benadryl allergy tablets (no decongestant) to help make me drowsy enough to get past the tinitus and get to sleep.

My ear doctor assured me there is no solution for tinitus - despite what you read and see on tv.  He said he would let me know when there is something that really works - waiting to here (lol)

Lorna 2007  & 2014