One week in.

Options
danjam67
danjam67 Member Posts: 2

I had my first opreation last Monday for thyroid nodules and an enlargened ademnoma. I had the right side thyroid lobe removed, and all was well. Tuesday I was home recoering nicely, and the phone rang and it was my surgeon, and he said the labs came back with a small amount of cancer from on of the nodules. The choice was to come back immedeiately the next morning where it would be easy to go right back in the same incision, or wait 6 weeks and have a much harder time patient and Surgeon wize. I chose to go back in immediately Wednesday morning and having the rest of the thyroid taken out and that was six days ago. I feel fine. I have no pain. I have a lot of swelling but I imagine that will go down pretty soon. I am reading about the LID diet, getting ready for that, and the RAI treatment. I have just known about this whole situation for one whole week now. I feel like my Surgeon is very good at what he does, so I hope all the cancer that was wanting to kill me is all gone now, and the RAI treatment will go ahead and kill off the rest of those cells so it hopefully won't come back on me later. I feel pretty good about my chances right now. I fel like I got lucky and got this thing taken care of early enough to be pretty safe in thinking I can come out on top of this whole deal. I am 47 years old, and I have always been a pretty healthy active guy. My wife and I are active motorcyclists, and stay pretty active outdoors. 

Comments

• nickelcrue
    nickelcrue Member Posts: 2
    Options
    How's recovery?

How's recovery?

• danjam67
    danjam67 Member Posts: 2
    Options

How's recovery?

How's recovery?

Nickelcrue, My recovery is going pretty well. As I stated I had to have back to back surgerys due to the fact they found cancer the day after surgery 1. I went one week later for a follow up and there was a lot of fluid built up behind my incision so the Doc sucked some fluid out with a syringe and I never felt anything and it helped a lot. I am getting ready to go on the LID diet, which I am pretty much already on, just for practice but I don't mind the diet at all so I will just stay on it until this thing is all done. The suregeon put me on a once a day pill called CYTOMEL, but I spoke to my Endo's nurse today and she told me to stop that right now and called in a script for Synthroid, which I will begin tomorrow. They are NOT going to let me stay home for the R.A.I. as they thought I only needed a small dose, but now they say the left side and the lymph nodes all had cancer so I will be getting the BIG BOY dose of R.A.I. and I wiill be locked away in a hospital room for a minimum of 3 days, Max 5 days. Everything in the roon with me stays in the room. My clothes, flip flops, magazines, or anything else I take in there will never come out of there with me. I will update.