Looking for some feedback on recently found upper lobe lung nodules

KayeK
KayeK Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Lung Cancer #1

At the end of May I found out, via an ABD CT that I've got 2 (7 and 6 MM) upper lobe nodules in my left lung and a calcified one in my right lung. In March I had a CXR for a different reason that showed nothing whatsoever about nodules. So, from early March to end of May is the time frame from nothing to something showing up. I have a history of thyroid cancer, all my labs regarding thyroid are good and have been good. In '10 I had the thyroidectomy, RAI, and body scans. No problems since then relating to thyroid.

So here I am, being told that I don't need an actual chest CT until August. Does that sound right? I am 33, never smoked.

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Kayek

Yes that sounds right to rescan in 3 months.  When nodules are so small if they try a needle biopsy thay could miss the nodule and get good tissue.  I had a 7mm in my lower right lobe and rescanned in 3 months and it grew to 1.3 cm, so it had to come out.  Then I had on follow up scan 6 months later a new 5 mm nodule showed up in my left lower lobe so on the rescan 3 months later, it was gone.  Just know nodules come and go and we don't even know it.  Its not cancer until proven with a biopsy.  I wish you well. Lori

• KayeK
    z said:

Kayek

Yes that sounds right to rescan in 3 months.  When nodules are so small if they try a needle biopsy thay could miss the nodule and get good tissue.  I had a 7mm in my lower right lobe and rescanned in 3 months and it grew to 1.3 cm, so it had to come out.  Then I had on follow up scan 6 months later a new 5 mm nodule showed up in my left lower lobe so on the rescan 3 months later, it was gone.  Just know nodules come and go and we don't even know it.  Its not cancer until proven with a biopsy.  I wish you well. Lori

Z

Okay, thank you for your helpful and reassuring info. Wondering why the xray in march didn't show anything? I had it because occasionally when I'm lying down I have a loud whistling sound when I exhale (one night also when I inhaled)

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    KayeK said:

Z

Okay, thank you for your helpful and reassuring info. Wondering why the xray in march didn't show anything? I had it because occasionally when I'm lying down I have a loud whistling sound when I exhale (one night also when I inhaled)

Nodules occur as a result of

Nodules occur as a result of exposure to some fume irritants, allergies, inflammation from colds and a variety of other reasons.  As Z mentioned, it is normal to wait because most resolve on their own.  

• KayeK
    dennycee said:

Nodules occur as a result of

Nodules occur as a result of exposure to some fume irritants, allergies, inflammation from colds and a variety of other reasons.  As Z mentioned, it is normal to wait because most resolve on their own.  

Thank you both

For your input.

• melinda68
    melinda68 Member Posts: 22
    nodules

hello about 2 yrs ago i found a 5mm nodule on my lower right lobe i asked my doctor about it who referred me to pulmonologist i had ct scans about every 6 months it was growing very slowly so the doctor just kept watching finally when it got to 1.3cm he said wait 3 more months didn't think it was necessary to do biopsy at that point i just had a feeling so i got a 2nd opinion i had a PET Scan done showed no activity {cancer}but since it was growing he referred me to cleveland clinic who first thought it was a carcinoid tumor wanted to remove it after he got in there it was cancer  adenocarcinoma luckily it was stage 1 and hadnt spread outside the lung but did remove 40% of my right lung he said he was really surprised it was cancerous hope i didnt scare you with my story just please find someone who willkeep a check on it my surgery was may 2014

• melinda68
    melinda68 said:

nodules

hello about 2 yrs ago i found a 5mm nodule on my lower right lobe i asked my doctor about it who referred me to pulmonologist i had ct scans about every 6 months it was growing very slowly so the doctor just kept watching finally when it got to 1.3cm he said wait 3 more months didn't think it was necessary to do biopsy at that point i just had a feeling so i got a 2nd opinion i had a PET Scan done showed no activity {cancer}but since it was growing he referred me to cleveland clinic who first thought it was a carcinoid tumor wanted to remove it after he got in there it was cancer  adenocarcinoma luckily it was stage 1 and hadnt spread outside the lung but did remove 40% of my right lung he said he was really surprised it was cancerous hope i didnt scare you with my story just please find someone who willkeep a check on it my surgery was may 2014

my nodules never showed up on

my nodules never showed up on xrays just ct scan

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    melinda68 said:

nodules

Great job on being proactive

Great job on being proactive there, Melinda!  So glad you got that second opinion.   And it points out the importance of getting a second opinion and trusting and asserting yourself.  

• melinda68
    dennycee said:

Great job on being proactive

Great job on being proactive there, Melinda!  So glad you got that second opinion.   And it points out the importance of getting a second opinion and trusting and asserting yourself.  

thank you but i'm still so scared its going to come back

• KayeK
    melinda68 said:

nodules

Thank you for sharing

Agreed, we've got to go with our gut sometimes! What kind of after care and treatment have you needed?

My chest CT is scheduled for next week on the 14th. Just nine more days....but who's counting.

I've also started having pain under my arms, in the last 4 weeks, not sure what that's related to though.