It's not cancer till the doc's say it's cancer. Well, they said it's cancer+UPDATE of UPDATE

124»

Comments

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    Update of Update

Well folks, got the path back and of the 20+ nodes that were removed three were positive.  All three were clustered together very near the thyroid but ones extending out from this cluster were clear.  One very interesting and significant fact is that the second half of the thyroid, that was not removed in the initial surgery and was taken in this procedure, was NOT positive.  The opinion of the tumor board is that this is evidence that the spread was from the lymphatic system TO the thyroid and not from the thyroid to the nodes.  Why that matters is then this is a return of the original disease and not a new, spontaneous eruption of a disease that is so rare that there is very little or no data on how to treat.

Interesting is that the board, almost unanimously recommended chemo and NO rads.

More later,

Joe

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    jcortney said:

Update of Update

Well folks, got the path back and of the 20+ nodes that were removed three were positive.  All three were clustered together very near the thyroid but ones extending out from this cluster were clear.  One very interesting and significant fact is that the second half of the thyroid, that was not removed in the initial surgery and was taken in this procedure, was NOT positive.  The opinion of the tumor board is that this is evidence that the spread was from the lymphatic system TO the thyroid and not from the thyroid to the nodes.  Why that matters is then this is a return of the original disease and not a new, spontaneous eruption of a disease that is so rare that there is very little or no data on how to treat.

Interesting is that the board, almost unanimously recommended chemo and NO rads.

More later,

Joe

Update

joe, from what you describe it sounds like good news relative to what it could have been and for that I'm thankful.    Enjoy a lazy day with some rain in Dallas and just getting the chemo and no rads has to be positive as well. 

All the best, 

keith

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    jcortney said:

Update of Update

More later,

Joe

Joe, no chemo and no rads is

Joe, no chemo and no rads is terrific!!  i hope you are celebrating this victory.

dj

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

Joe, no chemo and no rads is

Joe, no chemo and no rads is terrific!!  i hope you are celebrating this victory.

dj

Joe

My 2nd go round of chemo w/o rads was much easier on me than 1st go round. Mine was erbitux and taxol the 2nd time around. Thankful you will have chemo only, no rads. Sorry you had to lose the other half of your thyroid for clear dx. Mayo felt it was very important to determine if my recurrance was from original site. So important that they did a test where they worked their way from my cheek (very near my lip) all the way back to the tumor around carotid, using a CT guided needle. They compared it to the original slides taken in STL in 2012. It was the same. Apparently, they keep those slides indefinitely. It is important for them to know if they are working with a recurrance or new primary and since my return was inoperable, the CT guided biopsy was the only option.

Best wishes for you,

Candi 

• j4mie
    j4mie Member Posts: 218
    jcortney said:

Update of Update

More later,

Joe

Good news

Overall, this sounds like pretty positive news. im happy to hear that it turned out in the best possible way! I'll keep you close in thought as you go through treatment to hopefully eradicate this beast once and for all!

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Joe

Been thinking about you and your fight. Just remember an army tank can venture down the toughest roads. I pray for for your continued strength.

Jeff

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,773 Member
    jcortney said:

Update of Update

More later,

Joe

good news i think

Hey Joe,

I had to reread this to digest and interpret. Always complex world of cancer. So this is good news right? They feel they got all the nodes that have cancer and they got the thyroid that became cancerous from the nodes. The chemo is more "mop up" to kill any micro cancers that might be lingering around as no rads imply they don't feel there are any active cancers left to kill. If that is the case, very glad for you.  Don

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    donfoo said:

good news i think

Hey Joe,

I had to reread this to digest and interpret. Always complex world of cancer. So this is good news right? They feel they got all the nodes that have cancer and they got the thyroid that became cancerous from the nodes. The chemo is more "mop up" to kill any micro cancers that might be lingering around as no rads imply they don't feel there are any active cancers left to kill. If that is the case, very glad for you.  Don

Well, maybe

It is surely better than having six or eight or ten nodes affected but it is more problematic than lets say, one.  As for the RADS, it's not that it isn't indicated, because it most certainly is, it's just the opinion of everyone involved that IMRT, to an already radiated area that now has had so much tissue removed, will produce after effects that would impede my quality of life.  Mostly the ability to eat solid foods.  That would not be an acceptable tradeoff for me.

Also lingering concern is the nodules in my chest.  There is about an even chance that they are/are not mets.  I (and my medonc) see no reason to submit myself to needle biopsy(s) of my chest since what we will be doing next is what would be done if they are malignant.  We had a very frank conversation yesterday, if they are positive we are talking about a life longevity of years.  If they are not, perhaps decades.  Either one, it is completely outside my ability to control so I'll just roll with what comes along.

Thanks for your concern and your posts/emails.

Joe

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    jcortney said:

Well, maybe

It is surely better than having six or eight or ten nodes affected but it is more problematic than lets say, one.  As for the RADS, it's not that it isn't indicated, because it most certainly is, it's just the opinion of everyone involved that IMRT, to an already radiated area that now has had so much tissue removed, will produce after effects that would impede my quality of life.  Mostly the ability to eat solid foods.  That would not be an acceptable tradeoff for me.

Also lingering concern is the nodules in my chest.  There is about an even chance that they are/are not mets.  I (and my medonc) see no reason to submit myself to needle biopsy(s) of my chest since what we will be doing next is what would be done if they are malignant.  We had a very frank conversation yesterday, if they are positive we are talking about a life longevity of years.  If they are not, perhaps decades.  Either one, it is completely outside my ability to control so I'll just roll with what comes along.

Thanks for your concern and your posts/emails.

Joe

Joe

Love your attitude! It will take you far :-)