like father like son

twinthings
twinthings Member Posts: 409

There are words to describe my frustration at doctor's office this morning but they aren't suitable for social media.  In fact, I'm sure I'd be banned from this site forever if I said what I am thinking.  Suffice it to say, I could make a sailor blush.

Today was to be my 1 year post-op with urologist.  Per last visit, he said to plan on having a ct (with contrast) of chest, ab and pelvis and, of course, blood work, at my 1 year appt.  I arrived at my appt about 20 min early (I'm early for everything!).  There were 3 people in waiting room.  After signing in and sitting down, one by one, about 7 or 8 more people came in over the course of the next hour.  I sat and watched as each and every one of those people were called back.  Apparently the receptionist noticed I was getting antsy, looked at me and said "you only have two more people ahead of you".  I asked why the delay.  She told me my doctor was on vacation in Colorado and wouldn't be back till late July and that I would be seeing his son.  So, I had to wait until he saw all of his regular patients before he'd start working on his dad's patients.  Even tho I had an appointment scheduled for 10:15. 

I asked the receptionist if I could go ahead and have lab drawn and scans, while I'm waiting.  She said no, I have to see him first.  So, finally, I see the doctor.  He comes in, sits down, looks at me and said "well...it was cancer".  Really?!  What an idiot.  I said, yep, that's what your dad told me LAST YEAR.  He kinda shifted in his seat and said "yeah, yeah, I remember, I think I assisted with your surgery".  I told him about my bulge I'm getting ready to have surgery on and asked him if he needed to take a look at it and he said no, it's of no concern to him.  I told him his dad has always looked at the site of my incision during post-op's and he said there was really no need.  So, I asked him what I'm doing there if nothing is being looked at or done.  He told me I really didn't need to be there but once every 2 years for a chest x-ray and blood work.  REALLY?!  I told him that his dad specifically told me we'd be doing test's today and the Jr doctor said, given that my cancer was ONLY stage 1, the chances of anything more ever coming from it are slim to none.  He asked if I am having any problems to warrant doing a ct, so I told him that I have left rib pain for last 4 months or so and right hip pain.  He said, "yeah, I get that same pain in my rib too.  Take some advil or tylenol and it should do the trick".  It's about now, the f bombs are going off in my head.  Needless to say, I did end up having a chest x-ray and blood work.  If all is well with the bloodwork, they'll go forward with the ct.  So, all of my scanxiety over the past few days, was for nothing. 

The day wasn't a total wash because I learned a valuable lesson.  I will never return to his office again...for father OR son.  He did not lay one hand on me, was in my room less that 2.5 minutes, after I waited an hour and half to see him, but, by God, they took my co-pay and will damn sure bill this visit to my insurance.  Should I ever need a urologist again, I'll find someone new.  I really can't do any worse!

K.  I'm done ranting.  Just had to get that off my chest.  I'm better now.  Thanks peeps!

Comments

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    What a Farce!

OMG Twinnie, what a pea brain ( pun intended ). I know you felt his fathers inadequacy was down to age, sounds like it is more to do with genetics. The son is a safety hazard if that is the advice he gives to cancer patients, absolutely frightening. I am one of those he regards as having a slim to none chance of any further issues. There is no way of knowing; and he has no right to risk his patients life with spouting such garbage. I bet it took all your effort in keeping your hands from around his neck, waiting all that time to be faced with such claptrap, I can't believe it, the whole thing sounds farcical. So it's 2 yr follow up tests for kidney cancer, consisting of chest X-ray, blood work and a prescription for advil. Glad he is paying due diligence to his patients!

Djinnie x

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    Djinnie said:

What a Farce!

OMG Twinnie, what a pea brain ( pun intended ). I know you felt his fathers inadequacy was down to age, sounds like it is more to do with genetics. The son is a safety hazard if that is the advice he gives to cancer patients, absolutely frightening. I am one of those he regards as having a slim to none chance of any further issues. There is no way of knowing; and he has no right to risk his patients life with spouting such garbage. I bet it took all your effort in keeping your hands from around his neck, waiting all that time to be faced with such claptrap, I can't believe it, the whole thing sounds farcical. So it's 2 yr follow up tests for kidney cancer, consisting of chest X-ray, blood work and a prescription for advil. Glad he is paying due diligence to his patients!

Djinnie x

There is recourse...

If they are part of a clinic, write to the Clinic Director.  If they are a stand-alone practice, write to the State Medical Board.  That behaviour shouldn't be tolerated.

Oh, and that's why they call the Practicing Physicians.  The emphasis is on practicing.

I would have been totally unglued.  As Fox would say, "join the ladies club of those with attitudes."  His comments about sore ribs was uncalled for.

Could luck.

Donna

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Wait, what? YOUR doctor is on

Wait, what? YOUR doctor is on vacation and so YOU have to wait? Then NOT to be "treated" at all? Advil? Really?

There are some online healthcare providers rating services where you can do a survey on the care/appt/wait time etc. BUT I would seriously let the Medical director AND his father know about how you were treated, or in this case, NOT treated.

Geez louize...what exactly did you pay for? And insurance companies do not like complaints or the health corp he may work for either.

Jan

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Doctors

Sindy sware. Never. Well once in a while.

Sometimes Doctors just dont make sense. Your's sound like 2 of them.

Only 1 of the doctor's comments did make a little sence and that was to have bloodwork done BEFORE your appointment for the CT as the BUN ratio has to be a certain level before they can use the Dye in the CT otherwuse there could be Kidney Damage from a CT with contrast.Again that should have been scheduled by the dumb doctor's office before you were scheduled for a CT.

Icemantoo

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    Oh your Twiness..  Sorry you

Oh your Twiness..  Sorry you got such bad treatment..  I fired an Oncologist due to such lousy treatment...  so perhaps this guy did you a favor.. and move on.. Find someone that cares AND knows his/her stuff..

By the way... you sure know how to make that hospital gown look good..!  Tongue Out

Ron

• twinthings
    GSRon said:

Oh your Twiness..  Sorry you

Oh your Twiness..  Sorry you got such bad treatment..  I fired an Oncologist due to such lousy treatment...  so perhaps this guy did you a favor.. and move on.. Find someone that cares AND knows his/her stuff..

By the way... you sure know how to make that hospital gown look good..!  Tongue Out

Ron

Thanks for the support guys! 

Thanks for the support guys!  I am quickly losing faith in the medical profession, but only after giving them the benefit of the doubt for the past year.  I'm not one to call or write, with complaints.  I'll just take my business elsewhere. 

About 30 minutes after I got home today, the radiology department called to schedule my ct for Friday and suggested I come by before hand and pick up the 2 bottles of contrast I will need to drink prior to my scan.  I told her I just left there, following my x-ray and I sure wish they'd have given it to me then.  It's a 30 minute drive back over there.  She said the radiology department overlooked the order on the rx, for me to have contrast.  She was sorry for the inconvenience.  Again with the language! 

Assuming my labs come back good, I have to be there at 1:30 on Friday, and be fasting.  I might starve half to death by then!!

I mentioned to the lady on the phone that, in the past, my contrast was administered thru a vein.  She said I would be having the scan with oral and again with intravenous contrast.  I've never heard of drinking contrast but I'm pretty sure it can't be good. 

dj, you are right, as, that apple didn't fall far from the tree.  I will use them to get the results of my tests but that's it.  I'm d.o.n.e. and they are fired!

Iceman,  I knew before going to appointment that my blood work was necessary prior to contrast.  I called last week and asked if I could have the lab work done so that I'd be ready for the contrast.  I was told no, the doctor would not order anything prior to seeing me.  God forbid he miss out on a co-pay and insurance payment.  I could understand if they'd never seen me before or if he actually DID something while I was there, but, to do absolutely nothing but insult my intelligence, charge me, and then order the tests, well, that's just nonsense and a huge waste of my time. 

Ron, you're sweet but your vision sucks...see an eye doctor.  Nobody looks good in hospital gowns.  I'll be donning a new one in a couple weeks.  I wish they were available in black...with bling Kiss  Now THAT might be cute...on somebody.

I'm so ready for this week to be over. 

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member

Thanks for the support guys!  I am quickly losing faith in the medical profession, but only after giving them the benefit of the doubt for the past year.  I'm not one to call or write, with complaints.  I'll just take my business elsewhere. 

About 30 minutes after I got home today, the radiology department called to schedule my ct for Friday and suggested I come by before hand and pick up the 2 bottles of contrast I will need to drink prior to my scan.  I told her I just left there, following my x-ray and I sure wish they'd have given it to me then.  It's a 30 minute drive back over there.  She said the radiology department overlooked the order on the rx, for me to have contrast.  She was sorry for the inconvenience.  Again with the language! 

Assuming my labs come back good, I have to be there at 1:30 on Friday, and be fasting.  I might starve half to death by then!!

I mentioned to the lady on the phone that, in the past, my contrast was administered thru a vein.  She said I would be having the scan with oral and again with intravenous contrast.  I've never heard of drinking contrast but I'm pretty sure it can't be good. 

dj, you are right, as, that apple didn't fall far from the tree.  I will use them to get the results of my tests but that's it.  I'm d.o.n.e. and they are fired!

Iceman,  I knew before going to appointment that my blood work was necessary prior to contrast.  I called last week and asked if I could have the lab work done so that I'd be ready for the contrast.  I was told no, the doctor would not order anything prior to seeing me.  God forbid he miss out on a co-pay and insurance payment.  I could understand if they'd never seen me before or if he actually DID something while I was there, but, to do absolutely nothing but insult my intelligence, charge me, and then order the tests, well, that's just nonsense and a huge waste of my time. 

Ron, you're sweet but your vision sucks...see an eye doctor.  Nobody looks good in hospital gowns.  I'll be donning a new one in a couple weeks.  I wish they were available in black...with bling Kiss  Now THAT might be cute...on somebody.

Sorry about the poor excuse for a physician

Sindy,

Sorry for your poor experience.  It's bad enough to have to deal with cancer, but to have an incompetent, uncaring physician(s) is adding insult to injury.  So far, I've been blessed with the physicians that I've had to deal with (with one exception).  I'd find another right away!

As for the contrast, I just had a follow-up CT and I always have 2 contrasts.  One to drink an hour before and one intraveniously during the procedure.  According to the tech, its the "best" kind to have.  Fortuntately, my one year follow-up colonsocopy for CRC was fine, but my CT scan showed that my kidney mass continues to grow.  So, onc is sending me back to the urolgiist to see if its "ripe for the picking". 

I hope you find a more competent doc for your follow-up care and that your CT scan comes back clean!

Best,

J

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member

Here's to Pastures New!

Ugh!!! Well they are nothing if not consistent, they obviously have high work ethics in that place, responsibility of care just shines through, along with being competently incompetent!
    It took me a long time to weed out a good doctor, I know you will make sure you have the  creme de la creme next time, it will be like night and day. Who needs the extra stress, we have it by the bucket full already! 

Hope you get to relax and enjoy some of this week, little Cooper being around will keep your mind off things.

I am sure your results are going to be good, will be thinking of you:)

Djinnie x

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    Djinnie said:

Here's to Pastures New!

Ugh!!! Well they are nothing if not consistent, they obviously have high work ethics in that place, responsibility of care just shines through, along with being competently incompetent!
    It took me a long time to weed out a good doctor, I know you will make sure you have the  creme de la creme next time, it will be like night and day. Who needs the extra stress, we have it by the bucket full already! 

Hope you get to relax and enjoy some of this week, little Cooper being around will keep your mind off things.

I am sure your results are going to be good, will be thinking of you:)

Djinnie x

I had dr issues too

It is really important to be followed by someone who is familiar with RCC.  It is true that stage 1 low grade has a low chance of recurrance, but it can happen.

My initial urologist told me that I was stage 1.  He did not mention the grade on the path report....said it did not matter. 
    The grade was 4 because of sarcomitoid differentiation.  I asked about that when I read the report, and he said it is not a big deal.  Follow up with Chest x-ray and abd. ct in 6-12 months. 

I enrolled in a study for familial kidney cancer, where they did a chest CT...and found my met. 

If I followed my (now former Dr's advice), I would be dead.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    dhs1963 said:

I had dr issues too

It is really important to be followed by someone who is familiar with RCC.  It is true that stage 1 low grade has a low chance of recurrance, but it can happen.

My initial urologist told me that I was stage 1.  He did not mention the grade on the path report....said it did not matter. 
    The grade was 4 because of sarcomitoid differentiation.  I asked about that when I read the report, and he said it is not a big deal.  Follow up with Chest x-ray and abd. ct in 6-12 months. 

I enrolled in a study for familial kidney cancer, where they did a chest CT...and found my met. 

If I followed my (now former Dr's advice), I would be dead.

Contrast

Try the banana flavored, really cold, and drink it with a straw.  Not too bad.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    ConnieSW said:

Contrast

Try the banana flavored, really cold, and drink it with a straw.  Not too bad.

Can you imagine

how some people can really fall through the cracks in the health care system? One problem is that most disciplines and departments work as an island. They all believe that what they do is the most important part. So communication gets lost and it is ALWAYS someone elses fault. There are so many poor patients who don't know how to stand up for themselves. How many here have we seen have to grab the system by the uh-hums, to get things done right. Everyone here is learning to spot the flaws and is becoming able to get things back in control. Twinny, your next career should be in hospital management. Straighten those suckers out. And how do I know? I've a masters in health care management. I've nothing but praise for the system in place at Yale. Except the billing system. That was my nightmare.

The oral contrast was a chalky flavored shake like drink. Yuk. But now they use what looks like water but isn't as refreshing. Kind of stale. You can add a flavor. I just chug it down like octoberfest. I believe that this drink acts to help the organs stand out. Then the iv contrast brings out the mets more clearly.

Poor Ron, first his kidney went south. Then his hair, and now his eyesight. Yet he still hands out the complliments.

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    foxhd said:

Can you imagine

how some people can really fall through the cracks in the health care system? One problem is that most disciplines and departments work as an island. They all believe that what they do is the most important part. So communication gets lost and it is ALWAYS someone elses fault. There are so many poor patients who don't know how to stand up for themselves. How many here have we seen have to grab the system by the uh-hums, to get things done right. Everyone here is learning to spot the flaws and is becoming able to get things back in control. Twinny, your next career should be in hospital management. Straighten those suckers out. And how do I know? I've a masters in health care management. I've nothing but praise for the system in place at Yale. Except the billing system. That was my nightmare.

The oral contrast was a chalky flavored shake like drink. Yuk. But now they use what looks like water but isn't as refreshing. Kind of stale. You can add a flavor. I just chug it down like octoberfest. I believe that this drink acts to help the organs stand out. Then the iv contrast brings out the mets more clearly.

Poor Ron, first his kidney went south. Then his hair, and now his eyesight. Yet he still hands out the complliments.

Oh my.. glad you stopped at

Oh my.. glad you stopped at my eyesight... Cool

Ron -  Be Well All..!

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member

Contrast

I am confused; why do you have to drink the contrast? My husband just had his scans ( with and without contrast) on Monday.

they did the blood test, read the results and then the scans all in less than 30 minutes. 

The only contrast that he had to drink was when he had the blockage last August.

Sarah

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Srashedb said:

Contrast

I am confused; why do you have to drink the contrast? My husband just had his scans ( with and without contrast) on Monday.

they did the blood test, read the results and then the scans all in less than 30 minutes. 

The only contrast that he had to drink was when he had the blockage last August.

Sarah

The contrasts are different

The oral helps the internal organs show , and the iv makes the tumors stand out. That is the rough idea. As I understand it.

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member
    foxhd said:

The contrasts are different

The oral helps the internal organs show , and the iv makes the tumors stand out. That is the rough idea. As I understand it.

Contrasts

so, shouldn't they do both types in the scans? They have never done the oral contrast as an outpatient, only when he was in the hospital.

is this something we should ask the onc about at tomorrow's appointment?

Sarah

• DMike
    DMike Member Posts: 259
    Contrast

That's the way I understand it too, Fox.

I drink the "stale water" stuff 15 minutes or so before the CT scan and then they do the IV after doing the non-contrast scans. They just changed it from a more Gatorade-ish tasting drink to this stale water stuff this time. I have 2 large cups to drink and I just down it, get it over with!

I've been doing it this way for 2 1/2 years.

David

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    DMike said:

Contrast

That's the way I understand it too, Fox.

I drink the "stale water" stuff 15 minutes or so before the CT scan and then they do the IV after doing the non-contrast scans. They just changed it from a more Gatorade-ish tasting drink to this stale water stuff this time. I have 2 large cups to drink and I just down it, get it over with!

I've been doing it this way for 2 1/2 years.

David

Been doing this for 7 1/2 years

Mine had already mets to the liver and nodes, so I have the full works.  Chest, abdomen and pelvis when the CT is done.

The 2 bottles are barium sulfate, started one hour prior to schedule of the test, which will show and outline the gut, any blockages or other oddities that may be uncovered.

Most radiology centers/hospitals are adopting a protocol that you need labs at least 2 weeks prior to a CT with injectable "radioactive" isotope.  If the eGFR/Creatanine balance is off, they may do the CT but without injectable contrast.

Once you get to have the CT, the the injectable will go rapidly (or is that rabidly) through the blood and outline vessels in the bladder, remaining kidney, liver, stomach, etc.  It also offers a very hot sensation in the bladder.

The barium sulfate behaves like a laxative, as it draws fluid from the body and into the colon.  Be prepared---diaper wipes come in handy, as do an ointment such as A&D or Cortisone cream to protect tender areas, and even a panty liner.

I also have to have a liter of hydration both pre- and post- CT.  Trying to get up and sprint to the restroom dragging an IV pole takes dance steps to not run into the door frames.

Look at it as you GET to have a CT, a non-invasive method of following up on Kidney cancer.

Good Luck everyone.

Donna

• twinthings
    foxhd said:

Can you imagine

Thanks fox, and all of you,

Thanks fox, and all of you, for your input.  I have decided to just nix the urologist altogether.  I really don't need him anymore.  I'll continue my follow-up care with my onc.  He does not specialize in RCC but he was willing to see me, so, it's really all I have.  You'd think I live in BFE, where you might expect to have to settle for piss poor medical care, but, I'm in OKC for crying out loud. 

I just returned from picking up my oral contrast.  I have two, 450ml bottles of, what looks like chalk.  I don't know how much 450ml's are but it looks equivalent to about 16 ozs.  I drink one at 7am and the other at 12:20, then head to the hospital.   I was told not to nurse it which means I have to chug it.  I could puke just thinking about it.  The fact that they are so specific on the time, ie, 12:20, tells me they will be forced to be prompt with my appointment.  They've never been prompt before so not sure what makes them think they can pull this off in a timely manner.

• twinthings
    donna_lee said:

Been doing this for 7 1/2 years

Mine had already mets to the liver and nodes, so I have the full works.  Chest, abdomen and pelvis when the CT is done.

The 2 bottles are barium sulfate, started one hour prior to schedule of the test, which will show and outline the gut, any blockages or other oddities that may be uncovered.

Most radiology centers/hospitals are adopting a protocol that you need labs at least 2 weeks prior to a CT with injectable "radioactive" isotope.  If the eGFR/Creatanine balance is off, they may do the CT but without injectable contrast.

Once you get to have the CT, the the injectable will go rapidly (or is that rabidly) through the blood and outline vessels in the bladder, remaining kidney, liver, stomach, etc.  It also offers a very hot sensation in the bladder.

The barium sulfate behaves like a laxative, as it draws fluid from the body and into the colon.  Be prepared---diaper wipes come in handy, as do an ointment such as A&D or Cortisone cream to protect tender areas, and even a panty liner.

I also have to have a liter of hydration both pre- and post- CT.  Trying to get up and sprint to the restroom dragging an IV pole takes dance steps to not run into the door frames.

Look at it as you GET to have a CT, a non-invasive method of following up on Kidney cancer.

Good Luck everyone.

Donna

diaper wipes??

Diaper wipes, ointment and panty liners?  Really, Donna?  I believe I'll pass on all three.  I think my mother-in-law uses diaper wipes but she's 80something.  I'm not young enough or old enough to use them.  Thanks for the advice tho!

I've had the injectable contrast and even tho I was told at the time that I would feel like I was peeing myself, I didn't.  No sensation at all.  I'm an odd one, in that, I tend to do exactly opposite of what's expected.  Must be the rebel in me.