Septoplasty & Balloon Sinuplasty

johnlax38
johnlax38 Member Posts: 136

Hi All.

Stage four, nasopharengeal carcinoma, cancer survivor. I am four years post treatment. I have chronic sinusitis and my ENT is recomending that I have a Septoplasty & Balloon Sinuplasty performed. All I can find online are horror stories about the septoplasty. 

Has anyone ever had either of these procedures? What was the recovery like and did the treatment actually alleviate your symptoms? Was the recovery pain worth it in the end?

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103 Member
    I know chronic sinus problems

Sorry, I don't know about the surgery.  Ever since my eye removal  and then a sinus abcess during chemo and rads, I have had sinus problems.  I finally got used to sinus rinse, had been getting antiobiotics monthly.  ENT suggested Alkalol.  Alkalol is over the counter, I add it to my sinus rinse.  It has stopped the chronic sinus infection.  Sinus just doesn't work since radiation.  Hopefully there will be someone to add about the surgery.

• johnlax38
    johnlax38 Member Posts: 136
    KTeacher said:

I know chronic sinus problems

Sorry, I don't know about the surgery.  Ever since my eye removal  and then a sinus abcess during chemo and rads, I have had sinus problems.  I finally got used to sinus rinse, had been getting antiobiotics monthly.  ENT suggested Alkalol.  Alkalol is over the counter, I add it to my sinus rinse.  It has stopped the chronic sinus infection.  Sinus just doesn't work since radiation.  Hopefully there will be someone to add about the surgery.

Thank you for your comments

Thank you for your comments KTeacher. My sinus also doesn't work from radiation. I have to use the same nasal rinse. Right now I am using Patanase which is great for alergey season, helps with the swelling. You have to get a script for Patanase, its a nasal steroid.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi John

NPC here as well and I have the same problem with chronic sinusitis after 8 years along with nasal infections. Please give the Alkalol a try, I use it twice a day and found that it does help. I am able to sleep all night without a lot of nasal blockage. I hope you can get some relief, and if you do, do the Septoplasty Balloon Sinuplasty please let us know how you are doing as it might be something that I might want to do someday.

Hondo