Crazy journey

RandaLeigh
RandaLeigh Member Posts: 15

I've posted a couple times since being diagnosed with clear cell renal carcinoma and my surgery to remove the mass. My journey has been kind of backward. I wasn't diagnosed until the stage 1, grade 3 mass was removed.I never had a chest ct and was instructed by my urologist he would perform an ultrasound in 6 months to check my kidneys. At that point I set out to find a good oncologist. I did find one, one who seems very interested in my care. With that said, I am scheduled to have my chest ct this week. In the meantime I have found a lump in my breast and I am slightly anxious. Anyone have any knowledge of Rcc mets to the breast? Is that even a possibility? 

Comments

• danbren2
    danbren2 Member Posts: 311
    Go see your Oncologist

RandaLeigh,

I was diagnosed in August of 2011 and had my right kidney removed.  In March of 2013 I had the lower portion of my right lung removed and then in November of 2013 I had a tumor removed from my brain all diagnosed as RCC.  I have now been NED since December 2013 and my next set of scans are scheduled for May.  I am not sure if kidney cancer has a preference of where it will spread, but I would definitely call my oncologist and let him/her know what you may have found.  It is much easier to find out what you are dealing with and how to fight, then to lay awake at night wondering!

I will be hoping and praying for the best results for you.  Remember we are all here to help each other cope and to remain strong for whatever the results turn out to be!

Praying for good health!

Brenda

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    danbren2 said:

Go see your Oncologist

RandaLeigh,

I was diagnosed in August of 2011 and had my right kidney removed.  In March of 2013 I had the lower portion of my right lung removed and then in November of 2013 I had a tumor removed from my brain all diagnosed as RCC.  I have now been NED since December 2013 and my next set of scans are scheduled for May.  I am not sure if kidney cancer has a preference of where it will spread, but I would definitely call my oncologist and let him/her know what you may have found.  It is much easier to find out what you are dealing with and how to fight, then to lay awake at night wondering!

I will be hoping and praying for the best results for you.  Remember we are all here to help each other cope and to remain strong for whatever the results turn out to be!

Praying for good health!

Brenda

Spread of RCC

Randa,

From everything I have read over the last 5 years, RCC does not cause or spead to the breast. Usually it first spreads to the lung.

The Oncologist however should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Icemantoo

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Not usual

My husbands CT's are Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis.  His are actually PET/CT's because he has bone mets.  Anyway, to answer your question:  I have been reading for about two years or so anything I can and I haven't read anything about RCC in the breast.  Typically RCC if it metastasizes in Adrenal gland, lungs,  and bone.  Wouldn't a mammogram be the standard way of evaluating breast tissue?   It is probably nothing, but still should be evaluated by a physician.

• twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    Hi RandaLeigh,
    I'm sorry for

Hi RandaLeigh,

I'm sorry for what you are going thru!  As if RCC weren't enough, you now have a lump in your breast?!  I would schedule a mammogram at your earliest convenience.  You are awfully young to be dealing with this crap. 

I'm really old now but when I was 18, I had a lump in my right breast.  It was found by my doctor at a routine gyn visit.  He scheduled me for a needle biopsy first.  Because the lump was solid he wasn't able to aspirate it so I ended up having to have a lumpectomy.  I just knew I was doomed.  But, I wasn't.  The lump was benign and I was just fine.  In todays day and age, I wouldn't have been put thru the agony of a needle aspiration.  Things were different in 1983.  Medicine has come so far.  So, the good news...God forbid this lump in your breast be cancer, great strides have been made in understanding and treating breast cancer and, women (and men) are beating it every single day. 

I tend to agree with the others and believe IF your lump is malignant, it likely has nothiing to do with you having had RCC.  It will be interesting to see what you find out.  I hope you will come back and let us know.  Incidentally, my RCC was Clear Cell, like yours.  It seems funny to me that Clear Cell is the most common sub-type (at least that's my understanding) of RCC, yet the two people I've met with RCC, as well as many on this forum, have a different sub-type.  Very interesting.

Anyway, enough rambling.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers while I anxiously await an update from you.

Sindy

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Hi there, I have read one

Hi there, I have read one other instance of someone having both breast and rcc simultaneously.  But as Twinthings said, it can be nothing at all. However, I would speak to the Oncologist about getting  a whole body pet/ct scan, instead of the chest ct, especially in view of the lump found in breast. This can check all areas at once.  Then I would also go to the gynecologist and see if they recommend a breast mamo and a breast songogram.  Good to have them both together the same day to compare.  

Do you have a copy of your path report? What was the size of tumor? Did they do a partial kidney removal? Sounds like it.  Stage one is very early and is very good. Grade 3 just means it is growing at a faster pace, but at least not grade 4 which is aggressive. So all of this can be just coinidence with the breast and the lump can be a normal cyst. Try not to worry too much.

Try to always get copies of all of your tests, blood work, scans etc. Keep it in a file in case you ever need a second opinion. I also sent mom's slides out to be rechecked by a notable cancer hospital for a second opinion.  Especially if they have not been able to identity the type of rcc. 

The urologist is not the person to be seen when it comes to cancer.  Good thing you found a good oncologist.  Always follow up with him/her. Be sure to continue to get scans every three months until the doc says you go to six months then a year from that rate.  But good to have abdomen, pelivs and lungs scans all at once, if they don't agree to the whole body/pet ct scans.  

If you care to share your path report maybe we can give you more information.  Take care of yourself and don't worry too much, it can all be nothing and hopefully with a small tumor removed you can possibly be cured.  Please let us know.... xxoo

• RandaLeigh
    Thank you guys for all the

Thank you guys for all the kin words! I really appreciate them more than you know. I had a mammogram and ultrasound done yesterday and the clinic nurse said that the results were inconclusive and Md wants another ultrasound in 6 months. This is like déjà vu to me...ugh! I'm picking up a copy of the reports today. So stressful!! I also have a chest ct today.

• twinthings

Thank you guys for all the

Thank you guys for all the kin words! I really appreciate them more than you know. I had a mammogram and ultrasound done yesterday and the clinic nurse said that the results were inconclusive and Md wants another ultrasound in 6 months. This is like déjà vu to me...ugh! I'm picking up a copy of the reports today. So stressful!! I also have a chest ct today.

Hang in there, girl! 
    It

Hang in there, girl! 

It seems waiting is the hardest part.  I think I would find much comfort in "inconclusive", being that you had both mammogram and ultrasound.  If the doctor reading the scans says 6 month f/u, that's a good thing.  If he really thought there was cause for concern, he would likely have recommended 3 mo f/u vs 6 month.  I would breathe a sigh of relief and move forward.  The worst thing you can do is spend the next 6 months worrying about it.  Worrying won't change the outcome, it'll just weaken your immune system and compromise your health.

Let us know how your chest ct goes.  Keep your chin up and think positive thoughts.  We are all pulling for ya!!

• danbren2
    danbren2 Member Posts: 311

Hang in there, girl! 
    It

Hang in there, girl! 

It seems waiting is the hardest part.  I think I would find much comfort in "inconclusive", being that you had both mammogram and ultrasound.  If the doctor reading the scans says 6 month f/u, that's a good thing.  If he really thought there was cause for concern, he would likely have recommended 3 mo f/u vs 6 month.  I would breathe a sigh of relief and move forward.  The worst thing you can do is spend the next 6 months worrying about it.  Worrying won't change the outcome, it'll just weaken your immune system and compromise your health.

Let us know how your chest ct goes.  Keep your chin up and think positive thoughts.  We are all pulling for ya!!

All Good!

Randaleigh,

Hoping for all good news for you!

Brenda

• RandaLeigh
    Ultrasound wording

Ultrasound of lump in breast reads: hypoechoic area probably benign. This almost exactly how my ct of my kidney mass was worded!! Thank you all for keeping me positive. I pray for each of you daily. 

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member

Ultrasound wording

Ultrasound of lump in breast reads: hypoechoic area probably benign. This almost exactly how my ct of my kidney mass was worded!! Thank you all for keeping me positive. I pray for each of you daily. 

Sending you comfort and care!

Sending you comfort and care! May you be able to let your anxious moments pass with hope in your heart~

Keep us informed please.

Warmly, Jan

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Hang in there, girl! 
    It

Hang in there, girl! 

Twinny said,

"Worrying won't change the outcome. It'll just weaken your immune system and compromise your health." Good advice.

It is hard to do but when you catch yourself worrying, think about how you are taking a positive action in dealing with this. It helps alot.

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    Jan4you said:

Sending you comfort and care!

Sending you comfort and care! May you be able to let your anxious moments pass with hope in your heart~

Keep us informed please.

Warmly, Jan

The only thing I can add is

The only thing I can add is that in general, the medical staff have alot more experience with breast growths / tumors / Cancer than the do with Kidney Cancer.  Hope this helps..

Ron

• twinthings
    GSRon said:

The only thing I can add is

The only thing I can add is that in general, the medical staff have alot more experience with breast growths / tumors / Cancer than the do with Kidney Cancer.  Hope this helps..

Ron

That's exactly what I was

That's exactly what I was thinking, Ron!  Great minds...

I couldn't help but notice your post was at 1:23...in the morning.  You must be a night owl, like me.

• twinthings
    foxhd said:

Twinny said,

"Worrying won't change the outcome. It'll just weaken your immune system and compromise your health." Good advice.

It is hard to do but when you catch yourself worrying, think about how you are taking a positive action in dealing with this. It helps alot.

The credit really goes to

The credit really goes to you, fox. 

Getting to "know" you has most definitely had a positive impact on me.   It's amazing how someone I've never met can so greatly change my thought process, from negative and pissed off to positive and grateful.   You really have changed the way I think about my own journey and as a result, I am so much more open to the idea of the power of positive thinking.  So, thank you, fox.

Neil, aka Nanosecond, is another one that's had a huge impact on me.  I am almost 'sugar-free', thanks to a really good article he emailed me regarding the relationship between sugar and cancer.  As a result, I feel fantastic and my jeans fit better!

I think I've taken a little something from everyone here.  What a great group of people you all are!!