Lung Cancer and COPD

pefarley
pefarley Member Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Lung Cancer #1

My lung cancer was picked up by accident during a low dose CAT scan.  It is located in the lower lobe of my right lung.  I have always known that I have had issues from smoking (shortness of breath at times) but I didn't know I was this bad until the Cancer was found.  I have severe COPD in all lungs.  At first I was not a candidate for surgery but after Pulmonary Function tests, I qualified.  I am scheduled for a VATS procedure on Feb. 18, 14 @ MD Anderson. The main objective for me is to get the cancer out and the 2nd is the quality of life.  I am a very active person and I would to keep my level of activity as high as it can be. I really debated about Radiation vs. Surgery but made the choice to have the surgery.  I am nervous about he surgery and what to expect afterwards.  I understand every case is different but any advice would be appreciated.  It does look like that "little guy" growing in my lungs has been caught at a very early stage and all signs point to non-small cell. 

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Are they doing the VATS to

Are they doing the VATS to remove the entire lobe or just to remove a small section of one (a wedge)?  With copd existing you may want to discuss how peach would affect quality of life.  

During recovery you may find it much easier to sleep in a lounge chair.  Keep a pillow handy to putt across the abdomen and chest when you cough or sneeze.  

recovery is faster if you get some exercise.  Walking is best.  You'll be active again soon.  

• pefarley
    pefarley Member Posts: 2
    dennycee said:

Are they doing the VATS to

Are they doing the VATS to remove the entire lobe or just to remove a small section of one (a wedge)?  With copd existing you may want to discuss how peach would affect quality of life.  

During recovery you may find it much easier to sleep in a lounge chair.  Keep a pillow handy to putt across the abdomen and chest when you cough or sneeze.  

recovery is faster if you get some exercise.  Walking is best.  You'll be active again soon.  

VATS

They are removing the entire lower right lobe of my lung.  The wedge was too risky for me.  The lower lobe is not the workhorse of my lung.  They think I will get back to where I am now, but no promises.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    pefarley said:

VATS

They are removing the entire lower right lobe of my lung.  The wedge was too risky for me.  The lower lobe is not the workhorse of my lung.  They think I will get back to where I am now, but no promises.

When they do surgery they are

When they do surgery they are going for a cure.  I sincerely hope they succeed!  Between now and the surgery walk all that you can and start walking again for exercise ASAP after. 

• justbelieve14
    justbelieve14 Member Posts: 6
    Pefarley

I just want to give you words of encouragement everything is going to be okay. You will be up and fine in due time. In the mean time just focus on getting that cancer out your body. Good Luck

Praying for you!!!

• kren42
    kren42 Member Posts: 1

Pefarley

I just want to give you words of encouragement everything is going to be okay. You will be up and fine in due time. In the mean time just focus on getting that cancer out your body. Good Luck

Praying for you!!!

WALK AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

Walking is your friend. I had VATS upper rt lobe removed. Push past &/or medicate the pain and walk as soon as you can. The nurses were ALWAYS too busy, finally my hubby recruited friends to learn the chest tube machine and walk me 4 to 5 times per day. Bring in as many shifts of personal friends or care givers as you can. You will have a better, less frustrating healing and hospital experience. Get help with your teeth brushing, no good having dental issues on top of lung cancer. You will find out the compassionate members of your care network. They will help, the others will be absent or judgemental. Very painful emotionally. I was told you will find out your true friends. My sister left because after three days she thought I should be out of pain. I say bless you, try not to think too much. Be vocal with symptoms during your healing so any complications can be found early. Slurpies and popicles are great during recovery. Can be made with low sugar properties, but if you get a fever... they are even more wonderful. Get plenty of protein. Mix protein powder in juice 3x per day. Protein is good for healing. Bless you, pray, pray, pray. I got a book called God is in the tough stuff. On amazon or ebay. I leaned on and was angry at God at the same time.

• dorene1955
    dorene1955 Member Posts: 2
    I just want to offer

I just want to offer understanding and love and prayers..I hope the surgery was successful..How are you? Dorene