Stopping chemo temporarily

luv4lacrosse
luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member

I hope all my fellow warriors are doing well. I saw my Oncologist yesterday and we have decided I should stop the Taxotere for awhile. I am for the most part in remission, no visible cancer in my lungs and Mediastynal nodes. The long term use of the Taxotere is what seems like will do me in. My Doc told me last May when I started this drug that this would eventually happen, but I ignored that as I felt I was invincible. Since the start of the new year, I have had 3 PE's, pneumonia, large amounts of fluid in my pleural space that required the insertion of a chest tube drain that I drain at home every other day, fluid in my legs and a violent stomach virus. I think that is everything. I forgot, I have to have a Doppler study on my right calf to rule out a DVT.

I am pretty nervous about stopping chemo as it has kept me kicking along, but with a huge trade off of feeling like crap 24/7.

Has anyone had to stop chemo to treat the damage to your body?

Lastly I could use some good MOJO.

Best

Mike

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    dear Mike, i'm sending you

dear Mike, i'm sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts and good mojo and vibes.  i'm sorry you had to quit the chemo but it sounds like your poor body really needed a brake.  try to be patient and let your body recover some from all the poison.  a body can only take so much and your body has been receiveing plenty.  praying for you to recover quickly and that you start to feel good again.  do u even remember what it is to feel good?  it seems like your poor body has been on chemo forever.  i pray that all the sickness you've had with the new year will subside and let you feel good again.  good luck with the doppler test, praying you get good news from that.  be sure to let us know.

God bless you, Mike.

dj

• Roar
    Roar Member Posts: 269 Member
    mojo and prayers coming your way

keep fighting fellow warrior. sending prayers and good vibes- cant help with any advise as i have not been down that road yet.

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Right choice

You know the saying--"Live to fight another day."  In your case that's exactly what you've done and it was a good choice.  As I've said here many times, in the short term, your real enemy is the poison in the treatments.  If those compromise your system too much, you don't have enough juice left to battle the cancer.  So, manage the treatments first, and then get back to dealing with the cancer as soon as your docs let you.

One of the things that cancer patients must face is knowing that however harsh and painful the treatments are, it sure beats the alternative.  The clarity of that realization has helped me through the worst parts of my treatments, and continues to help me battle my ORN now.  Remember when we were kids--and when one game wasn't working for us we would say "I don't like this game.  Can we play a new one?"  Well, we don't get that choice, and the 'dealer' won't let us call for a re-shuffle.  It sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.

Hang in there--from I read between the lines, you are doing great.

Mike

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Fishing Rod...

I not only will send you some MOJO...

I found the perfect fishing rod for you big guy...; MOJO Bass....

MOJO

Thoughts and Prayers your way bud...

JG

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    chemo stop

Mike,

This show is all about how well our bodies tolerate the poison, well you have fought with the best and need a little breather.

Hang in there to fight another day.

Matt

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    You know I'm sending

out a truck load of good Mojo....I'm hearing from what you've said, that you're giving your body a break from the chemo....doesn't mean you can't go back if need be.....right?  You and your buddy Taxotere may have kicked cancer's butt around the block this time.....praying that is so. 

p

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,773 Member
    it is the weights!

Dude,

Too much weight lifitng is bad for your health. lol. sorry to hear about the latest but you just deal with it as it comes. Hope the break works and the lower toxicity allows the body to recover. You are an inspiration to us all. Keep up the good fight!  Don

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Trading Poisons

Sorry to hear the Tax was messing you up but good to hear the tumors are stable. 

I have one better than just plain Mojo to send....

It has MOJitO in it and it's for Champion Warriors like yourself ;)

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Mike

You know the routine keep positive, I am happy that things are looking well for you. And don’t worry about stopping the treatment for a while that happens sometime to give our bodies a rest. For now I am continuing to keep you in prayer my friend

God Bless

Tim Hondo

• cureitall66
    cureitall66 Member Posts: 913
    MOJO......

You want MOJO.....We'll send you MOJO!!! Laughing Glad to hear your news.  Now it's time to take a break, give the body some time to recover and rejuvinate. You're doing great, keep up the fight!

God Bless,

~C 

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    MOJO MOJO MOJO

More good MOJO coming your way!

Deb

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Mike

Being a V.P. in the Teamsters I am a firm believer hard work desrves a break every now and then. Stop and take a bereak allowing the mojo coming your to catch up.

Jeff

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Mike, I am happy to hear the

Mike, I am happy to hear the good news about the remission. That is an excuse for a happy dance. Giving your body arest sounds like a good plan. Your body needs to recover just like your muscles in body building need a break. I pray you do not need more poisin and you will stay in remission.

Debbie

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    good thoughts

Everyone's body needs a break now and then, Mike.  Yours is just there.

Breathe through this.  You are in my thoughts and prayers and I'm hoping all these issues the Taxotere may have contributed to will give you a little bit of a respite so you can gather strength to push on - won't pray for the will to push on because it is clear you already have that.

Hugs.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

good thoughts

Everyone's body needs a break now and then, Mike.  Yours is just there.

Breathe through this.  You are in my thoughts and prayers and I'm hoping all these issues the Taxotere may have contributed to will give you a little bit of a respite so you can gather strength to push on - won't pray for the will to push on because it is clear you already have that.

Hugs.

Mike

Plenty of good thoughts and prayers. If your body needs a break, it's good to hear that you are in remission. Take this opportunity to get strong, physically and mentally. Too much worry can wear you down. Appreciate the remission and smell the roses.

Candi

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Time to rest

Time to rest up and take care of your body. Great news that there is no sign of cancer in your lungs, thats great. Kee positive and get some well needed rest.

wmc

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103 Member

Take some time to feel better.  Rest, recover, renew.