ELIXORS

Has anyone been given Elixors (PrugX, Rinubo, Sayunt etc) while receiving chemotherapy?

Comments

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I have been in the fight for

I have been in the fight for 8 years and used a lot of supplements but never heard of the ones you listed. I googled them. I am sure no oncologist would give  you those products. In fact I would be leary of using them. I dont want to discourage you but I think any product such as that touted to help fight cancer is justna waste of money. I have learned that sound nutrition and exercise is the best alternative. If you do choose to use them make sure you tell your oncologist first.

• xiaotianjiao668
    xiaotianjiao668 Member Posts: 4

I have been in the fight for

I have been in the fight for 8 years and used a lot of supplements but never heard of the ones you listed. I googled them. I am sure no oncologist would give  you those products. In fact I would be leary of using them. I dont want to discourage you but I think any product such as that touted to help fight cancer is justna waste of money. I have learned that sound nutrition and exercise is the best alternative. If you do choose to use them make sure you tell your oncologist first.

janderson, could you please share information with me?

janderson,

it's nice hearing that you have been fighting in this battle for 8 years. wondering if you could share the information of supplements you take with me? my father was diadnosed with colon cancer three years ago, and had surgery and chemo. one year ago, he was found one mets in his right lung. he didn't respond well to chemo, and the surgery is kind of difficult to perform becasue of the location. also, he is 77 and doesn't want to have surgery and chemo again. i am helping him to look for any supplement can be helpful for his situation. thanks in advance!

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member

janderson,

it's nice hearing that you have been fighting in this battle for 8 years. wondering if you could share the information of supplements you take with me? my father was diadnosed with colon cancer three years ago, and had surgery and chemo. one year ago, he was found one mets in his right lung. he didn't respond well to chemo, and the surgery is kind of difficult to perform becasue of the location. also, he is 77 and doesn't want to have surgery and chemo again. i am helping him to look for any supplement can be helpful for his situation. thanks in advance!

Suplements

HI!

This is the list given to me from Dr. Lenz @ USC for Colon Cancer.

Vit B12 - 2 tablets a day

Vit D  - 2 x 3000ius a day

Milk Thistle 2 tabs a day

Fish Oil 2 x 3000ius a day

ProBiotics 2 x a day

Basically these are to help build the imune system.  The fish oil is for the imbalance of red meat in the western diet.

I added Miltle Toe Extract from the Elm tree, 2 x a day.   This was from Sheishedo University and Finland Univeristy tests on supplements to aid in the digestion and immune system.  Dr. Lenz, said he had no reason to tell me not to take Mistel Toe Extract, and he would do some of his own research on the subject.

We switched over to primarily a Med diet, with some Chicken and Fish.   The less fats and easer digestion has helped us.  I have lost weight, my chloesterol was under 120 total!

Best Always!   mike

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    thxmiker said:

Suplements

HI!

This is the list given to me from Dr. Lenz @ USC for Colon Cancer.

Vit B12 - 2 tablets a day

Vit D  - 2 x 3000ius a day

Milk Thistle 2 tabs a day

Fish Oil 2 x 3000ius a day

ProBiotics 2 x a day

Basically these are to help build the imune system.  The fish oil is for the imbalance of red meat in the western diet.

I added Miltle Toe Extract from the Elm tree, 2 x a day.   This was from Sheishedo University and Finland Univeristy tests on supplements to aid in the digestion and immune system.  Dr. Lenz, said he had no reason to tell me not to take Mistel Toe Extract, and he would do some of his own research on the subject.

We switched over to primarily a Med diet, with some Chicken and Fish.   The less fats and easer digestion has helped us.  I have lost weight, my chloesterol was under 120 total!

Best Always!   mike

Hey Mike...

thanks for sharing that list.  Did your doctor specify what kind of probiotics to take?

There are so many on the market, in various forms, and I find it kind of confusing.

• janderson1964

janderson,

Sorry but it looks like I am

Sorry but it looks like I am having my third recurrence. I dont know if any supplemants makes a difference. The disease is just too smart and powerful.

I dont want to have chemo or surgery again either. I have had too much of both already but I have no choice. Maybe supplements, nutrition and exercise help but you will never beat cancer with that alone.

• thxmiker

Hey Mike...

thanks for sharing that list.  Did your doctor specify what kind of probiotics to take?

There are so many on the market, in various forms, and I find it kind of confusing.

The probiotics recommended to

The probiotics recommended to us by our GP, GI Doc, and our Oncologist are the Lactobacillus strains (There are 4 of them.), the stretococous strains, and bifidobacterium.  

These are part of the good flora in our Digestive tract. They will help your bathroom schedule, stomach rumbeling, gas, etc...   When I feel down at all, I take additional probioics.   Usually I take 2-3 pills and or 1 oz (28ml) of liquid probiotics every 12 hours.  Trader Joes has the probiotic pills ($6) at an exceptionally reasonable price.  We call them Mormon grocercy stores, or health food stores usually have reasonably priced probiotics also.   Some of the probiotics can run $45 per liter at the national health food stores. We can get them locally for under $15 at a family run store!

Liquid Probiotics really helped me during chemo!   They helped me gain callories from my food, and really eased the diarhea.

Good diet helps a lot also!  We now eat fresh food and no can foods, no fast foods, and no preprocessed foods.  This really helped me digest food better.   My chloesterol is now under 40 for hdl and under 30 for ldl!  My BMI went from 24.9 to 16!

Best Always,  mike 

• thxmiker

Sorry but it looks like I am

Sorry but it looks like I am having my third recurrence. I dont know if any supplemants makes a difference. The disease is just too smart and powerful.

I dont want to have chemo or surgery again either. I have had too much of both already but I have no choice. Maybe supplements, nutrition and exercise help but you will never beat cancer with that alone.

A piece of the puzzle

I believe diet is just a piece of the puzzle.  It is certainly something we can conntrol.  Good diet does aid the body in health and function.  Good diet can not hurt you!   Supplements are to aid in what the body is not asorbing or to boost a particular necessary viatmin.

Exercise is somehting we can control. I remember just sitting on the couch or bed and fealing the stress of chemo.  I would get up and take the dogs for a walk.  No matter how bad I felt, I always felt much better after a walk.  Many times i would drag myself out of the house telling myself and the dogs, that we were only going to go around the block.  We would walk for 2 miles or more.  (Not with out my accidents out on our walks. lol)  The exercise gave my muscles the needed strectching and me the fresh air.  It always helped to clear my mind of the pain I was in.

Mental strength is another thing we can control.  When ever I started to get down, the powers that be, would introduce me to someone that had it much worse then me. That always made me fell, like why am I letting myself get down.  (Some times easier said then controlled.)   Find the happy place and try to stay there.  Living is better then the alternative.

I have done round three with cancer.  (Signet Ring Cell, and Mets for me,) I find out Thursday if I am clear, or if I am starting round four.   Keep in touch and keep up the good fight.

Best Always,  mike

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    thxmiker said:

A piece of the puzzle

I believe diet is just a piece of the puzzle.  It is certainly something we can conntrol.  Good diet does aid the body in health and function.  Good diet can not hurt you!   Supplements are to aid in what the body is not asorbing or to boost a particular necessary viatmin.

Exercise is somehting we can control. I remember just sitting on the couch or bed and fealing the stress of chemo.  I would get up and take the dogs for a walk.  No matter how bad I felt, I always felt much better after a walk.  Many times i would drag myself out of the house telling myself and the dogs, that we were only going to go around the block.  We would walk for 2 miles or more.  (Not with out my accidents out on our walks. lol)  The exercise gave my muscles the needed strectching and me the fresh air.  It always helped to clear my mind of the pain I was in.

Mental strength is another thing we can control.  When ever I started to get down, the powers that be, would introduce me to someone that had it much worse then me. That always made me fell, like why am I letting myself get down.  (Some times easier said then controlled.)   Find the happy place and try to stay there.  Living is better then the alternative.

I have done round three with cancer.  (Signet Ring Cell, and Mets for me,) I find out Thursday if I am clear, or if I am starting round four.   Keep in touch and keep up the good fight.

Best Always,  mike

Will be thinking of you tomorrow

and hoping for good results, Mike.  Pls keep us posted.

• janderson1964
    thxmiker said:

A piece of the puzzle

Best Always,  mike

Mike did you get news from

Mike did you get news from your doc yet?

• thxmiker

Mike did you get news from

Mike did you get news from your doc yet?

I had to reschedule my appointment at USC.  I ended up in the ER Monday 0030.  My colon was blocked and shut down.   I just got out of the hospital, we will reschedule with USC tomorrow, and then I wait again to find out my results.

I got very dehydrated on Friday from working around the house and helping my neighbor work on his house.  Ironically putting up lights around the two properties for safety.   So, while making the properties safer at night, i ignored my own health and safety by allowing myself to get dehydrated. A mistake I will not repeat.

I will post any news as soon as I get it.

Best Always,  mike

• Koda
    Koda Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2018 #12
    thxmiker said:

I had to reschedule my appointment at USC.  I ended up in the ER Monday 0030.  My colon was blocked and shut down.   I just got out of the hospital, we will reschedule with USC tomorrow, and then I wait again to find out my results.

I got very dehydrated on Friday from working around the house and helping my neighbor work on his house.  Ironically putting up lights around the two properties for safety.   So, while making the properties safer at night, i ignored my own health and safety by allowing myself to get dehydrated. A mistake I will not repeat.

I will post any news as soon as I get it.

Best Always,  mike

Hi Mike!

Hi Mike,  I hope you are still fighting the good fight!  I noticed the posts ended in 2014 for many.  I hope you just got too busy to post.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Koda said:

Hi Mike!

Hi Mike,  I hope you are still fighting the good fight!  I noticed the posts ended in 2014 for many.  I hope you just got too busy to post.

Mike and John (JAnderson) have passed

Mike left us and then John.  A sad loss, as always. They were both frequent contributors on the forum, and we can still learn from their wise words. 

Even though they are gone, their advice about a healthy diet is still top dollar. 

Tru