Chemo Brain - I saw the Neurologist Today

About a month ago, I posted about my ongoing frustration with Chemo Brain--Chemonesia.

Today, I saw the Neurologist. He gave me a test in which 30 was the "passing" grade. I made 27.  He diagnosed me with 331.83 MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment).  He ordered tests of B12 and Thyroid function to rule out those possibilities. It just so happened that I had an appointment for a port flush after that appointment, so I got the blood drawn for those tests.  I will find out tomorrow.

The Neurologist also wrote me a prescription for Ritalin. I will wait for test results and also do some research about that drug before deciding. I don't think either of us expected me to start crying, but I did. ~~sigh

Anyone?

Best,

Rocquie

Comments

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Hi Rocquie

Hey Rocquie!  I guess a "27" is better than a "2" which would make you a tomato I guess Wink.  All kidding aside, I hope it's something they can help with.  Please let us know what you find out.  Reading this brought a tear to my eye too but you know me, I have to make everything funny at times :).  Hang in there and sending you big warm hugs with a big bear squeeze too!

Jim

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Ritalin?

Hi Rocquie,

I'm sorry.Frown Hopefully the blood work will show that everything else is ok,(thyroid function). Chemo really does a number on us. When you mentioned Ritalin, it reminded me of the early 70's when my oldest son was put on Ritalin for his ADHD. He was on it for 2 or 3 years during grade school, and if I could do things over, I would not have given it to him. Teachers back then were so quick to "label" active kids and doctors were just as quick with dispensing meds. Anyways, I will keep you in my prayers and please share back what your test results show. Hang in there, it will get better. Best wishes...Sue

(FNHL-stg3-grd2-typA-Dx 6/10-age 63) 

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    allmost60 said:

Ritalin?

Hi Rocquie,

I'm sorry.Frown Hopefully the blood work will show that everything else is ok,(thyroid function). Chemo really does a number on us. When you mentioned Ritalin, it reminded me of the early 70's when my oldest son was put on Ritalin for his ADHD. He was on it for 2 or 3 years during grade school, and if I could do things over, I would not have given it to him. Teachers back then were so quick to "label" active kids and doctors were just as quick with dispensing meds. Anyways, I will keep you in my prayers and please share back what your test results show. Hang in there, it will get better. Best wishes...Sue

(FNHL-stg3-grd2-typA-Dx 6/10-age 63) 

Ritalin for Chemo Brain?

Jim, as always, thank you for caring and thank you for the bear hug.

Sue, I am curious why you say that about Ritalin. Of course I've heard the stories of its overuse on children, especially little boys, so they are easier for the teacher to handle. 

But I wonder why you say if you could have a re-do, you wouldn't have dispensed it on your own boy. You think there was a negative impact? Does your adult son wish he hadn't taken it? I am trying to learn more about this drug in order to make a decision for myself. Do you mind sharing some more details from your own experience?  I would be grateful.

My B12 and Thyroid tests came back "unremarkable". So, I am back to chemo induced mild cognitive impairment.

Cheers,

Rocquie

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Rocquie said:

Ritalin for Chemo Brain?

Jim, as always, thank you for caring and thank you for the bear hug.

Sue, I am curious why you say that about Ritalin. Of course I've heard the stories of its overuse on children, especially little boys, so they are easier for the teacher to handle. 

But I wonder why you say if you could have a re-do, you wouldn't have dispensed it on your own boy. You think there was a negative impact? Does your adult son wish he hadn't taken it? I am trying to learn more about this drug in order to make a decision for myself. Do you mind sharing some more details from your own experience?  I would be grateful.

My B12 and Thyroid tests came back "unremarkable". So, I am back to chemo induced mild cognitive impairment.

Cheers,

Rocquie

Ritalin...

Hi Rocquie,

Many studies have been done showing that a large number of men in prison had been given Ritalin as children. Many of these same men that were studied also became addicted to drugs and alchohol in their teens, once Ritalin was no longer being taken. Doctors have a tendency to take kids off of Ritalin once they become teenagers, which is what they did with my son. He had a serious drug and alchohol problem for many years(starting in his early teens) and during his rehab times doctors said it was pretty common to see this in youth that took Ritalin when younger. Now of course not all kids that take Ritalin end up with these problems, but from what we learned over the years....many do. He has been clean and sober for 8 years now, but for the better part of 20 years he had a rough time. If hyper in nature,Ritalin will calm you down, but as with my son, it also caused depression, which doctors didn't relate to the Ritalin until many years later. I can see where it might work for chemo brain, but would be very watchful for mood swings. My son did not do well with it, but each of us is different how we will respond. I do know that Ritalin is a stimulant if you are not hyper and is widely abused for the high energy it creates. Has the opposite effect on hyper personalities...calming, low energy. There is plenty of information out there on Ritalin, so as you said...research first and then go from there. Let us know what you decide to do. Love...Sue

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    allmost60 said:

Ritalin...

Hi Rocquie,

Many studies have been done showing that a large number of men in prison had been given Ritalin as children. Many of these same men that were studied also became addicted to drugs and alchohol in their teens, once Ritalin was no longer being taken. Doctors have a tendency to take kids off of Ritalin once they become teenagers, which is what they did with my son. He had a serious drug and alchohol problem for many years(starting in his early teens) and during his rehab times doctors said it was pretty common to see this in youth that took Ritalin when younger. Now of course not all kids that take Ritalin end up with these problems, but from what we learned over the years....many do. He has been clean and sober for 8 years now, but for the better part of 20 years he had a rough time. If hyper in nature,Ritalin will calm you down, but as with my son, it also caused depression, which doctors didn't relate to the Ritalin until many years later. I can see where it might work for chemo brain, but would be very watchful for mood swings. My son did not do well with it, but each of us is different how we will respond. I do know that Ritalin is a stimulant if you are not hyper and is widely abused for the high energy it creates. Has the opposite effect on hyper personalities...calming, low energy. There is plenty of information out there on Ritalin, so as you said...research first and then go from there. Let us know what you decide to do. Love...Sue

Thank you, Sue

Sue, thank you so much for sharing a very personal and I'm sure painful experience with me. 

I can't decide if I want to try this medication or not. It could help me focus and also it may help with fatigue and those things would be good. I tend toward anxiety and I am afraid the Ritalin could make that worse. The doctor has prescribed a very low dose and once a day only. I asked about stopping if I didn't care for it and he assured me it is not habit forming. Not sure if I believe that. I certainly don't want to trigger a depression which I don't think would take much for me. 

And so I continue to research and ponder. I really do appreciate your input.

Much love to you,

Rocquie