vangbi
vangbi Member Posts: 62

I went for colonoscopy 2 days ago and was told I have cancer. Am going in for CT scans today 

then see surgeon next Wednesday. This was a shock but plan pn staying positive and try to beat

the cancer. My wife is doing a little better today but it did shake her up prtty bad. 

Comments

• lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member
    welcome to our forum!

Welcome!  You will find this board to be a source of information and support, and I"m sure you'll make connections with a great many of us.  There's years of experience here, and we don't hesistate to share and give advice and provide support.  No topic is off limits regarding health - as indicated by recent posts on hemmhroids!

I hope your cancer is localized only.  Good luck with the tests. Try to get a PET scan too. 

all the best to you and welcome to our board - your wife can join as well as there are many caregivers on this board, and not just us patients

Karin

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Welcome to the forum. A

Welcome to the forum. A little advice since you weren just diagnosed. Many of us including me were so overwhelmed when first diagnosed that we couldnt think for ourselves and just went through the motions following all of the doctors orders. Take a deep breath and get prepared for the fight of your life. Take someone with you to your appointments and take a pad of paper and pencil. The doctor visits can be overwhelming and very hard to retain all of the information. It is still overwhelming to me at times even after 8 years of fighting. Use your pad to write down questions you want to ask the doctors and thier answers. Take that information and educate yourself further on the internet. You might have really great doctors but it doesnt hurt to look at your options as well.

• marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    Welcome and sorry you are here

So sorry you are here, but you have come to a great place for help, info sharing, support and sometimes just someplace to vent.

Some tips:

1. Go to all appt with a note book so you can log all your questions and answers
    2. You will need to find out what stage your cancer is.  There are people on this forum that are all stages and all variations of stages.  Lots of help
    3. No question is stupid, only the one not asked
    4. No question is off limits here,  lots of poop questions - no one is emabarassed
    5. Take good care of yourself
    6. Do not turn into Dr. Google - there is a ton of stuff on the internet that is invalid and just not true.  Work with your Onc for your info and go to good sources (ACS, CCTA......)
    7. It is true that once you hear, "you have cancer.......", you hear nothing past that.  This is where the shock comes in.  You will be ok, breath, re-group, get all your appts made.  Be sure you like your Onc and Surgeon, 2nd or 3rd opinions are your right.  Your care should be a team effort.

You will get through this, if you are having a bad day - just allow it and move on, it will pass.

Please keep us updated, there are so many wonderful people on this site that helped me get through alot.

I will be 2 years NED tomorrow Smile.  NED = no evidence of disease.  FYI - I was diagnosed 1/13/12 with stage 3b signet cell colon cancer at 49years old.

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Welcome and sorry you are here

So sorry you are here, but you have come to a great place for help, info sharing, support and sometimes just someplace to vent.

Some tips:

1. Go to all appt with a note book so you can log all your questions and answers
    2. You will need to find out what stage your cancer is.  There are people on this forum that are all stages and all variations of stages.  Lots of help
    3. No question is stupid, only the one not asked
    4. No question is off limits here,  lots of poop questions - no one is emabarassed
    5. Take good care of yourself
    6. Do not turn into Dr. Google - there is a ton of stuff on the internet that is invalid and just not true.  Work with your Onc for your info and go to good sources (ACS, CCTA......)
    7. It is true that once you hear, "you have cancer.......", you hear nothing past that.  This is where the shock comes in.  You will be ok, breath, re-group, get all your appts made.  Be sure you like your Onc and Surgeon, 2nd or 3rd opinions are your right.  Your care should be a team effort.

You will get through this, if you are having a bad day - just allow it and move on, it will pass.

Please keep us updated, there are so many wonderful people on this site that helped me get through alot.

I will be 2 years NED tomorrow Smile.  NED = no evidence of disease.  FYI - I was diagnosed 1/13/12 with stage 3b signet cell colon cancer at 49years old.

Welcome

Welcome and don't forget to breath.   Raquel, stage 4., over 5 years since DX.  

Get olenty of rest

drink water 

eat green

eat veggies

stay positive

careful you aren't being mean to family due to DX 

you will feel better in a couple months, this will become routine.  

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    Breathe ...

I know that this is not a journey that you would choose. But right now, just try your best not to borrow worry. 

A diagnosis of cancer is a shock and may make you feel very angry. You may also feel like shutting down emotionally. Seems no responses are the same ... but, obviously all normal.

I encourage you to have an advocate to attend all appointments and procedures with you.  They can help prepare questions or concerns you have ahead of time for the doctor and to take notes during the apppointment.  Sometimes, your spouse is the best person ... but, if there are periods of time where your spouse is too anxious or emotional themselves ... better someone else. There were times when my husband attended his appointments with someone else and the doctor let him tape-record these conversations for my benefit.

This is simply a great site. I have been reading it since 2008 when my husband was first diagnosed. There are many people here with different stories to share that will provide you with hope and courage.  You can also encourage your wife to come here as there are a number of current and former caregivers.  Sometimes it is a slightly different kind of support that caregivers need.

Please check back in with us to let us know what the staging of your cancer is so that we may provide more specific support.

Peace. ~ Cynthia

• vangbi
    Ct scan results

They said the good news it is the most common and has not spread but

then told me they got a surprise that wasnt expected and is not related 

to the colon but there is a lesion on left kidney so am going to lose a kidney it

sounds like . Will know more next Wedensday at meeting with surgeon. 

They did say there will be chemo also.

• devotion10
    vangbi said:

Ct scan results

to the colon but there is a lesion on left kidney so am going to lose a kidney it

vangbi … are you in the U.S.?

When you say the cancer has not spread ... ask them what stage it is.  Do they mean that you had a polyp that showed evidence of cancer cells but it has not grown beyond the inner layer of the colon or rectum?

Lesion on the left kidney ... You might want to ask if you are meeting with a surgeon to schedule a biopsy to determine if the kidney lesion is spread from the colorectal cancer.  There are rare circumstances where colon cancer has isolated metastasis to the kidney at the time of initial diagnosis. I don't know how they can know what type of cancer it is without a biposy.  If it is a separate kidney cancer, unrelated to the colorectal cancer ... remember there is also a Kidney Cancer forum on the site ... but, we are always here for you too.

Have hope. It is early in your diagnosis and you will develop a treatment plan.  This usually gives you a feeling of power because you are doing something to eradicate the cancer.  If you do need kidney surgery it may require only partial removal of the kidney that is affected. I have a relative that had this surgery three months ago and is doing quite well; his complications were few and his prognosis good.  

Just take things one step at a time.

Peace. ~ Cynthia

• vangbi

vangbi … are you in the U.S.?

When you say the cancer has not spread ... ask them what stage it is.  Do they mean that you had a polyp that showed evidence of cancer cells but it has not grown beyond the inner layer of the colon or rectum?

Lesion on the left kidney ... You might want to ask if you are meeting with a surgeon to schedule a biopsy to determine if the kidney lesion is spread from the colorectal cancer.  There are rare circumstances where colon cancer has isolated metastasis to the kidney at the time of initial diagnosis. I don't know how they can know what type of cancer it is without a biposy.  If it is a separate kidney cancer, unrelated to the colorectal cancer ... remember there is also a Kidney Cancer forum on the site ... but, we are always here for you too.

Have hope. It is early in your diagnosis and you will develop a treatment plan.  This usually gives you a feeling of power because you are doing something to eradicate the cancer.  If you do need kidney surgery it may require only partial removal of the kidney that is affected. I have a relative that had this surgery three months ago and is doing quite well; his complications were few and his prognosis good.  

Just take things one step at a time.

Peace. ~ Cynthia

they are scheduling a appt

they are scheduling a appt with a oncologist They did say the lesion on kidney was not related to the colon cancer  and that the mass on colon had not progressed past inner lining I forgot to ask what stage the cancer was tho. Still learning so will get more information as I learn what to ask.

But I can say something real good came of my having been diagnosed is several coworkers and family members have scheduled there colonoscopy exams already after hearing about me.

• devotion10
    vangbi said:

they are scheduling a appt with a oncologist They did say the lesion on kidney was not related to the colon cancer  and that the mass on colon had not progressed past inner lining I forgot to ask what stage the cancer was tho. Still learning so will get more information as I learn what to ask.

But I can say something real good came of my having been diagnosed is several coworkers and family members have scheduled there colonoscopy exams already after hearing about me.

You are going to do great … hang in there

one step at a time.  You come back and let us know after your appointment.  Remember ... take notes as you may be given a lot of imformation to process at once. Wonderful about your family and coworkers getting their colonoscopies!

Peace. ~ Cynthia

• karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Welcome

Welcome,and sorry you have to be here.Stay positive,and be sure you have someone with you when you see the doctors.I'm stage 4 ,snd I still have trouble remembering what the doctor says.We are here when ever you have questions or just need to vent.Everyone has bad days,and we are here to help how ever we can.Good luck,stay calm,and be positive.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    vangbi said:

Way to go!

This happened with me too, and  one of my church associates was diagnosed with stage 3B colon cancer. She says I saved her life. 

I feel you have a good attitude when you recognize that you can help others in spite of what you're going through yourself. 

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    getting extra chances

We found special surgical preparation with selected supplements with generic medicines and extra blood tests beyond "standard care" very useful during this time period.  In fact, we credit much of my wife's "good luck" to them.

Basically immune enhancing measures before surgery as close to diagnosis (asap) were extremely helpful to my wife, probably life saving.  Life Extension has some useful articles for cancer and preparation for surgery. Background,  more background,  supplements.

Extra blood tests that we've used before and soon after [the first] surgery include CA19-9, CA72-4, LDH, GGTP, fibrinogen, hsCRP to create baseline data for possibly important biomarker data that cannot be retrieved later. At first, she was at least stage II then III, but she was really a stage IV. Extra data and precautions paid off, although they were not as thorough as if we had known all along. 

Also vitamin D3 is frequently greatly deficient in colorectal cancer patients and there is a blood test for that.  Dosages of 5000, and 10,000 iu vD3 per day are not uncommon here. Despite my wife's initial loading rate at 16000-17000 iu per day for 2 months, we could have used more with timely blood tests.  Six months after diagnosis, my wife still had slightly insufficient blood levels even at 12,000 iu vitamin D3 per day while on chemo!

Since some of this is nonstandard, ordinary doctors and insurance may resist, although ours have learned it's smarter not to. We also use outside medical opinions on the supplements and Life Extension protocols.  When in a hurry, we pay cash and do the necessary stuff that we decide on.  

• fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Welcome

Good to meet you, sorry we have to meet.  This is a great place for information and support.  Try to be calm as posible and remember that this is a marathon not a sprint.  Keep us updated...Art

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    vangbi said:

Ct scan results

Welcome to the forum, vangbi!

I know we're not a club that anyone wants to join, but now that you're here, I hope we can provide you with plenty of support.

You've already gotten a lot of good advice from othe rmembers, but I did want to add that it's important to find out if the lesion on the kidney is indeed cancerous, and if it cancer, whether or not it is metastasized from the colon.  This may determine the type of treatment they offer.  Hopefully, they will just tell you all of this, but if they don't, it's worth asking.

Keep us posted!

Ann Alexandria

• vangbi
     The Drs appoinments coming

The Drs appoinments coming in fast the urologist on Monday then the surgeon wedensday then oncologist Friday and get the port put in place on the 10th looks like I'm going to be busy for a few days. Plus making the finiancial arrangments for all the bills so Wife doesnt have to worry about all that stuff.

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    vangbi said:

The Drs appoinments coming

The Drs appoinments coming in fast the urologist on Monday then the surgeon wedensday then oncologist Friday and get the port put in place on the 10th looks like I'm going to be busy for a few days. Plus making the finiancial arrangments for all the bills so Wife doesnt have to worry about all that stuff.

Hi,
    Welcome!  Good to hear

Hi,

Welcome!  Good to hear that your treatment plans are moving forward rapidly.  I also wanted to reach out to your wife and tell her that we support and welcome her too.  I'm a former caregiver, so please tell her to feel free to send me a PM if she has any questions.

All my best,

Cynthia

• vangbi

Hi,
    Welcome!  Good to hear

Hi,

Welcome!  Good to hear that your treatment plans are moving forward rapidly.  I also wanted to reach out to your wife and tell her that we support and welcome her too.  I'm a former caregiver, so please tell her to feel free to send me a PM if she has any questions.

All my best,

Cynthia

Thank you I will tell her.

Thank you I will tell her.

• vangbi
    Ability to Work

Just wondering if I am going to be able to work while being treated as I am a truckdriver 

what kind of effect are the treatments going to have or should I start applying for disability

now? 

• fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Working

Each person has a different reaction to treatment.  There are stresses on your body both physical and emotional.  I do not know what you drive or what kind of mileage you put in daily.  

Check with your local licensing authority and perhaps even DOT to get an idea what to expect from your next physical.

Always be hopeful since it is often no where near as bad as we imagine.

Art

• devotion10
    vangbi said:

Ability to Work

Just wondering if I am going to be able to work while being treated as I am a truckdriver 

what kind of effect are the treatments going to have or should I start applying for disability

now? 

vangbi … My husband worked for four years after his

diagnosis at age 67. He only stopped working because he had a preplanned retirement date.  His biggest problem was fatigue but he was also lucky and had no complications during that time. I can't say it was easy for him, but he did continue working full-time for four years while having continuous treatment (his cancer was not curative from the beginning). His job did not require heavy lifting or long-distance driving though,

There are aspects of your attention that may be affected by your chemotherapy treatments ... you just feel a bit foggy.  That may interfere with safe driving but it likely will depend on what stage of treatment you are in and the nature of your trip. Do you have to do long-distance driving?  Safety may be an issue. Do you have to do any heavy lifting?

I googled something you may find interesting ... on a website called The Trucker's Report ... they are having some messages back and forth about this very question. Copy and paste this into your search engine:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/driver-health/134155-chemo-and-my-cdl.html

Here is a link that describes when you can get social security benefits for colon cancer:

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/when-you-can-get-social-security-disability-be

You will be able to handle all this ... it is just a great deal to figure out in the beginning. Things will settle down.

Peace. ~ Cynthia