Standard regimen for recurrent cancer?

bala07
bala07 Member Posts: 25

Hi

Is FOLFIRI + avastin, given as second line chemo for recurrent ca, done every 3 weeks or 2 weeks?

My mom had taken FOLFOX initially 2 yrs back. Now the cancer is back in her nodes along illiac vessels in pelvis.

Our onc said he is planning to do 6 cycles with 3 weeks interval but the onc we went for second opinion said he would give at 2 weeks interval for 4 months.

Has anybody taken FOLFIRI with avastin regimen at 3 weeks?

How do the oncs. decide?

Thanks for the inputs.

Bala

Son of Mom-

May'11 - LAR to remove tumour in rectum,

10/26 nodes +ve,

Radiation + chemo(FOLFOX) till Nov'11.

Dec'11 - PET scan clear

Comments

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    Hello Bala … maybe this will be helpful information.

I do not know if you are in the U.S.  I also don't know if you are in the U.S., if your Mom is being treated at a N.C.I Cancer Center ... even without that knowledge perhaps you will find this information helpful.

Here is a link to the National Cancer Institute web page that lists a wide variety of information including Standard Treatment Options for Stage Four and Recurrent Cancer. I have provided the link to the Health Professional Version because I find it provides more depth, but there is also a link on the page to a Patient Version.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/colon/HealthProfessional/page1/AllPages

Perhaps others will provide their personal experiences with FOLFIRI + Avastin.

I have another piece of research that I will send you ... can't locate it right now.

Peace. ~ Cynthia

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    Here is the other link that may be helpful ...

Colon Cancer Treatment Protocols

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2005487-overview

Peace. ~ Cynthia

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I have always done chemo

I have always done chemo every 2 weeks for 6 months weather it is FOLFIRI plus avastin FOLFIRI pluc vectibis or FOLFOX plus avastin.

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

I have always done chemo

I have always done chemo every 2 weeks for 6 months weather it is FOLFIRI plus avastin FOLFIRI pluc vectibis or FOLFOX plus avastin.

The later Sounds like what

The later Sounds like what others been in   The first dose not sound affective to me.   For my reoccurrence, I'm on Xeloda, eributux and oxy one every week, and the oxy every 2 weeks, I'm going on month 3.  But when he went over folfri with me, it was about the same interval.  

• BusterBrown
    BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
    Hi, I was dx in 2004 w/ stage

Hi, I was dx in 2004 w/ stage iv crc. Between now and then i've done close to 70 doses of chemo (folfox, folfiri, Erbitux). I'd say the last 40 have been every administered every 3/4 weeks. I cannot begin tell you how much this interval has improved my quality of life. For me, it now takes a solid 7-8 days after chemo for me to feel close to 100%. That extra week or two of feeling good/normal between cylcles is HUGE. For me it's like I have a life, I'm not sick and tired from the chemo all the time. Granted, I've been very fortunate, chemo at a 3/4 week interval physically works for me, it's keep my cancer at bay.  Please note that chemo can have an impact given at a 3/4 week interval. Hope this helps...