Needing some support and advice

Hey Guys

Been a while since ive been here. Hope all of you are doing very well. Well its been about a year and half since ive been in remission from my DLBCL! Hard to believe. I have a scan coming up in two weeks which of course brings scanxiety with it. However I need some advice. Here goes, ive been fighting a cold for the last couple weeks with nasal and chest congestion. However last night i woke up hot and sweating from my chest and head areas. Is that considered a Night Sweat? I had night sweats a long time ago but those resulted in litterally drenched sheets pillows and clothes. This was not the case last night but wanted to see if others had a case of this kind of sweating. Obviously night sweats are an indicator of an infection and of course this timing is horrible with the upcoming scan. There are no swollen lymph nodes in any area that I can feel. Just looking for some support and any advice from some great friends here.

Mike

Comments

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Hey Mike

Great to hear from you!  

I didn't experience night sweats with the DLBCL.  I have however experienced sweating when a fever breaks at night which is similar I suppose.  Have you had fever with your illness?  If so, that may be all it is.  Also (for me), if I eat really spicy foods or a lot of hot soup or similar, I sometimes sweat later.  I suspect the sweating is related to your cold but I'm not a doctor :).  Another thought - do you use an electric blanket?  Just some thoughts.

I'd say if it continues contact your doctor.  I hope your cold gets better soon!  I always get anxious before my scans (next is in May 2014).  Please keep us updated and know you are always welcome here!  I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Big hugs- Jim

• Shoopy
    Shoopy Member Posts: 210
    Sweating

Mike,

Congratulations on your continued remission!  I hope and pray that it continues and that your scanxiety quickly goes away. 

I experienced night sweats with my DLBCL.  My shirt would be either drenched or at least wet enough that I had to change it ~2X a night.  Remember, I haven't gone through my ASCT yet so I'm not in remission.  I have been experiencing the type of sweats you've described.  I am 99% sure it is due to the number of blankets we sleep under and the heat kicking on at night.  We don't sleep with our bedroom door open so around 3am it can get warm in the bedroom.  I was a bit worried until my wife mentioned that she's been sweating around that same time (and kicking off blankets).

My guess is that it is probably your body fighting the cold/congestion...plus maybe a little of the weather.

You have lots of friends here...keep up informed.

Karl

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 869 Member
    Night Sweats

Mike, although I had a different lymphoma, one of my symptoms was drenching night sweats. And might I point out that I don't sweat? Really, I am so cold natured that even in summer, I rarely perspire. When I had night sweats, there was no question about it.

Having said that, not too long ago, I woke up feeling "moist", like you on my head and chest. Naturally, I panicked. I got up and went to the bathroom. While there, I calmed myself down by realizing that I was "clammy" from having an extra blanket on the bed, not "sweating".

As Jim suggested, I also wonder if your cold was causing a fever, which broke in the night?  We all understand your worry and anxiety. For me, it is the most upsetting thing about this disease.

I hope you sleep nice and dry tonight,

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 869 Member
    jimwins said:

Hey Mike

Great to hear from you!  

I didn't experience night sweats with the DLBCL.  I have however experienced sweating when a fever breaks at night which is similar I suppose.  Have you had fever with your illness?  If so, that may be all it is.  Also (for me), if I eat really spicy foods or a lot of hot soup or similar, I sometimes sweat later.  I suspect the sweating is related to your cold but I'm not a doctor :).  Another thought - do you use an electric blanket?  Just some thoughts.

I'd say if it continues contact your doctor.  I hope your cold gets better soon!  I always get anxious before my scans (next is in May 2014).  Please keep us updated and know you are always welcome here!  I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Big hugs- Jim

Hey Jim, what happened to

Hey Jim, what happened to your picture? I miss seeing your smiling face.

Smile Rocquie

• coachmike
    coachmike Member Posts: 155
    Gratitude

You guys are so awesome. The support and love that always is given here is amazing. I actually spoke with my doctor this afternoon. He said that I did not have a night sweat. That a night sweat would have been much more intense than what I described. He thinks that the cold may have given me a slight fever in the night and that during the night it broke causing the dampness on my head and chest area. The night sweat would have been all over my body and would have been much larger amount of sweat. Soooooo I am just being a little neuerotic lol however I guess we can all relate to that as we get closer to my scan.

The room was warm last night. My partner said that he too woke up last night and that the room was warm. We also sleep with our two beagles, so the four of us in the bed also add to the temp. I keep telling myself these are the logical reasons and not to allow my imagination to run away from me.

My scan is Feb 5 and the results will be given feb 10. Of course you will all be given the update immediately,

I cant thank you all enough for your love and support

• Shoopy
    Shoopy Member Posts: 210
    coachmike said:

Gratitude

You guys are so awesome. The support and love that always is given here is amazing. I actually spoke with my doctor this afternoon. He said that I did not have a night sweat. That a night sweat would have been much more intense than what I described. He thinks that the cold may have given me a slight fever in the night and that during the night it broke causing the dampness on my head and chest area. The night sweat would have been all over my body and would have been much larger amount of sweat. Soooooo I am just being a little neuerotic lol however I guess we can all relate to that as we get closer to my scan.

The room was warm last night. My partner said that he too woke up last night and that the room was warm. We also sleep with our two beagles, so the four of us in the bed also add to the temp. I keep telling myself these are the logical reasons and not to allow my imagination to run away from me.

My scan is Feb 5 and the results will be given feb 10. Of course you will all be given the update immediately,

Excellent

That's good news and a good move to call your doctor. 

• winthefight
    winthefight Member Posts: 162
    coachmike said:

Gratitude

Night sweats

So happy to hear that your sweating is from a cold and not anything else.  As a 6 year survivor, I still am alarmed when I sweat, feel a bump (that I fear is a lump), ect.  So, I am so glad that you have found this forum.  We know and understand your concerns.  I am looking forward to reading about your updates. Be blessed.  (((BIG HUGGSSSS))).

• jimwins
    coachmike said:

Gratitude

Good :)

It was probably the result of too many BTU's ("Beagle Thermal Units") ;).

Hugs

• jimwins
    Rocquie said:

Hey Jim, what happened to

Hey Jim, what happened to your picture? I miss seeing your smiling face.

Smile Rocquie

Picture

I was going to update it with one of me swimming with dolphins in December and it got deleted.  I've been busy and just haven't gotten around to trying again.

Smile - Jim