Breast Reconstruction Latissimus Dorsl Flap

Options

I have had nine surgeryies over the last 2 years for both breast removal and reconstruction. Because my left breast was damaged during removal it's having a hard time reconstructing. On the 13th I am going in for a Latissimus Dorl Flap. I am so worried because of all the failures I have had on my left side (I would develope holes in the stiches that causes the implant to be exposed) has any one out there had a Latissimus Dorsl Flap? 

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    I had it

I had it a few years ago on both sides I did not have implants put in they just used my dorsi muscles from my back ! I was having a lot of fluid buildup from radiation on my left side so they recommended this surgery to stop the fluid from building up ! And it worked this was a hard surgery for me surgery was 5 hours I was in the hospital 5 days and came home with 6 drains! No lifting pulling or pushing . I put most my stuff on my kitchen countertops reaching isn't a good idea ! I rested and took it easy the drains were a pain took about 7 weeks to heal . I had physical therapy for 6 weeks to get my motion back my back felt very tight from the surgery  I still had 2 more small surgeries after just nip and tucks to fix the left one . The radiation damaged that side but now 2 years later I'm happy for the most part with the results ! Just make sure you rest and take it easy and with the pain meds make sure you get lots of fiber and stool softeners. I learned that the hard way I had problems when I came home!

best wishes to you!

teresa

• kathye4321
    kathye4321 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    teresa41 said:

I had it

I had it a few years ago on both sides I did not have implants put in they just used my dorsi muscles from my back ! I was having a lot of fluid buildup from radiation on my left side so they recommended this surgery to stop the fluid from building up ! And it worked this was a hard surgery for me surgery was 5 hours I was in the hospital 5 days and came home with 6 drains! No lifting pulling or pushing . I put most my stuff on my kitchen countertops reaching isn't a good idea ! I rested and took it easy the drains were a pain took about 7 weeks to heal . I had physical therapy for 6 weeks to get my motion back my back felt very tight from the surgery  I still had 2 more small surgeries after just nip and tucks to fix the left one . The radiation damaged that side but now 2 years later I'm happy for the most part with the results ! Just make sure you rest and take it easy and with the pain meds make sure you get lots of fiber and stool softeners. I learned that the hard way I had problems when I came home!

best wishes to you!

teresa

Thank You

Thank you for your response, I plan on taking three weeks off of work to just rest. I believe the doctor will put in an expander when he does the surgery. He said I will have 2 drains, one in the front and one in the back.

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options

Thank You

Thank you for your response, I plan on taking three weeks off of work to just rest. I believe the doctor will put in an expander when he does the surgery. He said I will have 2 drains, one in the front and one in the back.

Try breastcancer.org,too

I am so sorry to hear of all your reconstruction troubles. I imagine it is disappointing, painful and sad.

Try posting on breastcancer.org, too. That is a website just for breast cancer and they break down the breast cancer board main topics by categories. I use this and that site.

Look for the discussion board forum called Breast Reconstruction. You will find thousands of women with your same trouble.

Here is  hoping that this next surgery does the trick!!