2 primary cancer person has lung cancer question

Hi,

I sure hope somebody could give me some information.

I had my kidney out on Sept. 6, due to kidney cancer. The doctor found a 12 mm nodule in my right lung which was an Adenocarcinoma. I never smoked. My late husband was a heavy smoker.

Anyhow, I went back into the hospital on Oct. 29 and had an open thoracotomy and had the nodule removed, which everyone assumed was going to be kidney cancer cells. The pathology report came back as a primary lung cancer.

I am now supposed to go back in for a lobectomy of my right lower lobe of my lung.

1) Does anybody know - after having an adenocarcinoma removed from a lung how lung should one wait until having the lobectomy?

2) Should I wait a bit until the lobectomy? The thoracotomy was a complete **** and I still do not have much strength in my right arm and shoulder?

3) Can you wait ? ARe these aggressive cancers?

4) It's tough getting information from the doctor's office. They were supposed to call me Tues - I called them and was instructed they would call on Friday, which they never did - so I called them again, and the receptionist said she'd "try" to get ahold of the doctor (he's a thoracic surgeon - busy man), is this normal?

I can't get my questions answered for one thing. Has this been your experience?

Thank you for any support

Comments

• gravelroad
    gravelroad Member Posts: 50
    BIOSPY?

Sounds like they did a biospy on you , it does not make any sense that they would open you up to just remove the nodule and then close you up to go in latetr to remove the lobe, just wondering because I am having a nodule removed with a Vats process and they are going to see if it is caner while I am under , if it is cancer they will remove the lobe , if not cancer they just close and I am done. In your case it seems like a drug out process . I hope I am understanding you correctly. Any way I would if I were you talk to the dr to make sure you are understanding everything correctly and then pray about you desicion and move forward. I prob have not been of much help , sorry but I would continue to ask questions till you understand fully what the process is for you and your options . Hope it all works out for you , wishing you the best

• handpuppet64
    handpuppet64 Member Posts: 29

BIOSPY?

Sounds like they did a biospy on you , it does not make any sense that they would open you up to just remove the nodule and then close you up to go in latetr to remove the lobe, just wondering because I am having a nodule removed with a Vats process and they are going to see if it is caner while I am under , if it is cancer they will remove the lobe , if not cancer they just close and I am done. In your case it seems like a drug out process . I hope I am understanding you correctly. Any way I would if I were you talk to the dr to make sure you are understanding everything correctly and then pray about you desicion and move forward. I prob have not been of much help , sorry but I would continue to ask questions till you understand fully what the process is for you and your options . Hope it all works out for you , wishing you the best

They were expecting it was a

They were expecting it was a met from the kidney cancer. Remember, I have two primary cancers.

The surgeon removed the nodule, then he told me I had the lungs of a 16 year old.

The info came 3 days later that it was lung cancer.

(I had my kidney out four weeks before.)

They took me back to remove the lobe, but my airway was swollen, they couldn't intubate me and that was that.

That's what happened.

• gravelroad
    gravelroad Member Posts: 50

They were expecting it was a

They were expecting it was a met from the kidney cancer. Remember, I have two primary cancers.

The surgeon removed the nodule, then he told me I had the lungs of a 16 year old.

The info came 3 days later that it was lung cancer.

(I had my kidney out four weeks before.)

They took me back to remove the lobe, but my airway was swollen, they couldn't intubate me and that was that.

That's what happened.

ok thats great news

Well I am glad to understand the details, from what I have researched the nodule in your lung ( if that had been the only cancer you had) would of not of needed any further treatment . It is as early as they can find and with it removed , they take the lobe just as a standard for prevention. So looks like they caught it in the being so thats good news for you. As for as the kidney cancer they will prob do treatments , Was wondering how they removed the lung nodule was it Vats, and did they need to mark it with a coil I guess that would depend on the size of the nodule ? Hope things go well for , hugs

• handpuppet64
    handpuppet64 Member Posts: 29

ok thats great news

Well I am glad to understand the details, from what I have researched the nodule in your lung ( if that had been the only cancer you had) would of not of needed any further treatment . It is as early as they can find and with it removed , they take the lobe just as a standard for prevention. So looks like they caught it in the being so thats good news for you. As for as the kidney cancer they will prob do treatments , Was wondering how they removed the lung nodule was it Vats, and did they need to mark it with a coil I guess that would depend on the size of the nodule ? Hope things go well for , hugs

The nodule was 12mm - I had

The nodule was 12mm - I had to have an open thoracotomy due to the location - towards the back.

I'm very lucky. I will not need chemo at this time. What happened to me sounds bad - two cancers. Both were caught early enough.

Basically, my right arm and my shoulder are killing me. I gotta rest every so often. I hate not being active, but I'm lucky so far.

I'm still alive and I just went to a craft show and enjoyed it.