Pain and binding in side after lung removed

KSGRL66
KSGRL66 Member Posts: 5

I had my lung removed 11-11-2010 due to carcinoid cancer. Now I have pain in my right side that feels like someone twisting my insides. I have to lay down and rub it out before I can even stand up. My doctor did an MRI and didn't find anything wrong. He has me taking Flexarill to help the muscle relax. Has anyone experienced this same pain?

Tammy 

Comments

• beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member
    right lung

I had my right lung removed in 2005 and had many differant aches and pains for the first year. I was on hydrocodone for that year and finely weaned myself off of it. The pain seemed to just gradually dissapear altho not completely until anout 2 years. I slept on my back for about 4 months and then finaly got comfortable enough to sleep on my side again. Wishing and praying the very best for you!

• mind boggling
    mind boggling Member Posts: 16
    I just had my right lung

I just had my right lung removed due to a neuroendocrine tumor. I feel all sorts of pains/aches.....but it is still new. I do try to move as much as possible.....I am tired of wearing sweatpants and shirts.........but I am happy the tumor is removed/gone. I go back in a week to check on all this and see where I stand and what more treatment is needed. my Dad lived with one lung.....TB. I would have never known if he didn't tell me. is there anyway that what your doing  to make it go away a daily streching exercise......so it is gone before your day gets moving? I hope it goes away permanetly for you. Let me know as I might need your advice sooner, rather than later. 

• KSGRL66

I just had my right lung

I just had my right lung removed due to a neuroendocrine tumor. I feel all sorts of pains/aches.....but it is still new. I do try to move as much as possible.....I am tired of wearing sweatpants and shirts.........but I am happy the tumor is removed/gone. I go back in a week to check on all this and see where I stand and what more treatment is needed. my Dad lived with one lung.....TB. I would have never known if he didn't tell me. is there anyway that what your doing  to make it go away a daily streching exercise......so it is gone before your day gets moving? I hope it goes away permanetly for you. Let me know as I might need your advice sooner, rather than later. 

Pain in side after lung removal

I have tried different stretch excercises but they tend to make it worse. Over use of that side are very painfull, such as swinging my arm as I walk, bending or stretching that side. I had two surgery in the same area within 2 months. My first one was a thoracotomy which they cut from the center of my rib cage, just below my breast area, to the center of my back. Then about 2 months later I had a pnemenectomy and cut open on the same side and same incision. I am sure mine is severe scare tissue binding inside. I do hope however it is nothing more. The MRI done a couple weeks ago didn't show anything out of the ordinary. 

• KSGRL66

right lung

I had my right lung removed in 2005 and had many differant aches and pains for the first year. I was on hydrocodone for that year and finely weaned myself off of it. The pain seemed to just gradually dissapear altho not completely until anout 2 years. I slept on my back for about 4 months and then finaly got comfortable enough to sleep on my side again. Wishing and praying the very best for you!

Right lung

beatlemike,

Thank you for sharing your story. I too am on lortabs, only 5 mg daily though unless needed. My doctor gave me some Flexarill but I only take them at night if I have had a really painfull day as they make me really tired. I am going to keep searching for more answers. 

• mind boggling
    mind boggling Member Posts: 16
    KSGRL66 said:

I have tried different stretch excercises but they tend to make it worse. Over use of that side are very painfull, such as swinging my arm as I walk, bending or stretching that side. I had two surgery in the same area within 2 months. My first one was a thoracotomy which they cut from the center of my rib cage, just below my breast area, to the center of my back. Then about 2 months later I had a pnemenectomy and cut open on the same side and same incision. I am sure mine is severe scare tissue binding inside. I do hope however it is nothing more. The MRI done a couple weeks ago didn't show anything out of the ordinary. 

Just from reading all the

Just from reading all the posts from various websites.......seems like the majority are living with pain from this type of surgery. I have read a few that report no pain/complication from nerve regeneration. Although my healing is new.......I  am also starting to wonder if I will ever wear a brassiere again........even a genie bra. Keep working at it and giving it time. Take your tylenols to help manage. I hope it gets better for you ........because now I gauge you to see how my healing is adding up. If I could......I'd wave a wand over the area and puff.......it would disappear. Please keep me posted..........

• Jody6251
    Jody6251 Member Posts: 2
    KSGRL66 said:

pain in breast /sternum area

I had my lower left lobe and a wedge of upper left lobe and lymph nodes removed on 8/5/2013.  It's only 4 weeks but thought pain would be better.   I also had a breast biopsy (it was benign) 2 weeks prior to surgery.    My surgery was VATS.  I am just taking Tylenol now (out of Dilaudid.  I have that binding feeling and having a hard time sleeping and getting comfortable.    I am tired all the time.  I take naps, something I never did.  My prognosis is great (although i have a very small nodule on my right lung which they will be watching carefully).    Thanks for this site, now I can chat with people I can relate to.   

• pain and numbness after lung lobectomy

I had left lower lobectomy done in Feb. 2013.  The cancer was adenocarcinoma Stage 1a.  The pain and numbness persists and is made worse by exercise.  I had one veritcal incision ( S shaped) about 7 inches long and the chest tube hole.  My left breast is either tender or numb.  I am assuming this is all due to nerve damage and will get better over time.  It is discouraging sometimes wanting to get back to normal and not being able to do so.  My first 6 month check up is due this month and I'm a little anxious over that, just want to hear all good news.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Jody6251 said:

pain in breast /sternum area

I had my lower left lobe and a wedge of upper left lobe and lymph nodes removed on 8/5/2013.  It's only 4 weeks but thought pain would be better.   I also had a breast biopsy (it was benign) 2 weeks prior to surgery.    My surgery was VATS.  I am just taking Tylenol now (out of Dilaudid.  I have that binding feeling and having a hard time sleeping and getting comfortable.    I am tired all the time.  I take naps, something I never did.  My prognosis is great (although i have a very small nodule on my right lung which they will be watching carefully).    Thanks for this site, now I can chat with people I can relate to.   

Glad you found us!

hope you have an opportunity to meet others in the chat room.  Are you sleeping propped up a recliner?  My vats was cancelled a after they got in so I only had two of the incisions and had catheters placed.    Frequently there is nerve pain with vats and gabapentin will help relieve it. It is my experience that my internist or primary care dr are better at coping with side effects.  

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member

pain and numbness after lung lobectomy

I had left lower lobectomy done in Feb. 2013.  The cancer was adenocarcinoma Stage 1a.  The pain and numbness persists and is made worse by exercise.  I had one veritcal incision ( S shaped) about 7 inches long and the chest tube hole.  My left breast is either tender or numb.  I am assuming this is all due to nerve damage and will get better over time.  It is discouraging sometimes wanting to get back to normal and not being able to do so.  My first 6 month check up is due this month and I'm a little anxious over that, just want to hear all good news.

Gabapentin

Also known as neurontin helps that nerve pain    Best wishes for improved health.  

• grandma253181
    grandma253181 Member Posts: 1
    lumg left

had  that  emoved  in  dec2012     and   nerve endings  still  hurt   some  days  worse  then  others  but  beat  the  cancer  just  need  to    breathe  with  1  lung  and  the  nerve  endings  painEmbarassed

• nottinghillfarm
    nottinghillfarm Member Posts: 7

Anxious

CT scan was negative!  The gabapentin is working wonders for the nerve pain.  So glad to hear about that. 

Is anyone anxious about the cancer coming back? 

• nottinghillfarm
    nottinghillfarm Member Posts: 7

Lung Cancer Alliance Buddy System

Found this group, Lung Cancer Alliance.  They have sent me information that I found very helpful in understanding lung cancer.  They have a phone buddy system also if anyone is interested.

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Hi, I was just browsing the

Hi, I was just browsing the lung cancer boards because I had a thoracotomy for hypersensitivity pneumonitis which formed a mass the size of plum and had 15% of my lung removed and I came across this thread.

If you are continuing to have unbearable pain, see a pain clinic (hopefully a good one).

I am on a number of medications for nerve damage pain from my bilateral mastectomy and node removal(in the armpits) for breast cancer.

I take 2100 mg of gabapentin a day, amitriptyline at night (an antidepressant shown to have pain relief in some patients, unfortunately not all), and a muscle relaxor at night.

For break through pain, I take either Tramadol or Vicodin (5-325).

I also get IV bags of Lidocaine Infusions to the vein every 9-10 weeks.

I also saw a pain psychologist who helped me learn how to live with pain.

If you have severe scar tissue adhesions, try seeing a physical therapist who has experience with what is called Myofascial Release. It helped me immensely after I had my breast cancer surgery. It is not the same as a "massage." It is massage aimed at releasing the scar tissue, and if you find someone good at it, it will work, and you should be given stretching exercises to do at home.

I hope this helps.