Scan results- Clean!!

izzycohen
izzycohen Member Posts: 80

We met with the surgeon this morning and got the results of the first CT scan since surgery.  I got an "all clear" on the scan!!  I think I'll splurge and have a glass of wine tonight.

Many thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes.  I cannot tell how much they are appreciated.  You are all wonderful and supportive.  I vow to do my level best at being as comforting and supportive to fellow "club members" as you have been for me.

The doctor feels I am a candidate to participate in a clinical trial called "Everest".  My understanding is that it is a drug designed to prevent a recurrence of cancer.  Of course I won't know if I'm actually taking the drug or the placebo.  I will meet with someone in the next few weeks.

Izzy

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    May the NED's keep coming

Izzy,

Mazel Tov

Icemantoo

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Congrats!

Glad to hear you're all good.

I'm in that study. I'm finishing my second 18 week period next week. I think I have 1 more to go.

There's at least one other poster here who has been in that study and completed it.

Best of luck to you.

Todd

• todd121
    Question

By the way, I read your pathology report on your bio page, and I really don't understand it. I've never heard a staging been given with 1, 2 and 3 all used. Could you have a closer look and let me know if it was copied correctly? For example, you can't be Stage 1 and Stage 2, because the only difference between these stages is the size of the tumor. (more or less than 7cm). And if any involvement in blood vessels is involved, that makes you Stage 3. Your pathology said something about "isolated foci of stage 3". What does that mean? Is it possible you meant to use the word "grade" instead of "stage"?

Todd

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    All Clear!

Congratulations Izzy! It's a good feeling isn't it! 

Djinnie

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Djinnie said:

All Clear!

Djinnie

Way to go Izzy!

Great to hear. I believe in the clinical studies. You willl be monitored closely and if even on the placebo, they will be on top of any changes. However, I would do whatever to be in a study without a placebo. Take care of youself first.

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    Djinnie said:

All Clear!

Djinnie

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Izzy thats

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Izzy thats great news......and djinnie nice to see you, to see you nice!!!!!  ah ya gotta love brucie Smile

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Eims said:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Izzy thats

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Izzy thats great news......and djinnie nice to see you, to see you nice!!!!!  ah ya gotta love brucie Smile

Nice of You!!

Nice one Eims!!! I thought I'd give the dog a rest, he was getting tired of holding that bone!

Djinnie x

• alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    That glass of wine wine

That glass of wine wine sounds well deserved for you and your wife. Congratulations!

• izzycohen
    todd121 said:

Question

By the way, I read your pathology report on your bio page, and I really don't understand it. I've never heard a staging been given with 1, 2 and 3 all used. Could you have a closer look and let me know if it was copied correctly? For example, you can't be Stage 1 and Stage 2, because the only difference between these stages is the size of the tumor. (more or less than 7cm). And if any involvement in blood vessels is involved, that makes you Stage 3. Your pathology said something about "isolated foci of stage 3". What does that mean? Is it possible you meant to use the word "grade" instead of "stage"?

Todd

Pathology report revisited

Todd,

I may have misused the term "stage".  I re-read the pathology report.  It reads: "The majority of the tumor is Grade 1 to focally Grade 2.  However, several small tumor foci show Grade 3". 

• izzycohen
    alice124 said:

That glass of wine wine

That glass of wine wine sounds well deserved for you and your wife. Congratulations!

That glass of wine

Alice,

That glass of wine turned out to be a beer.  A "Wisconsin Amber".  It was the best beer I ever had!

• Miashelle1
    Miashelle1 Member Posts: 44
    izzycohen said:

That glass of wine

Alice,

That glass of wine turned out to be a beer.  A "Wisconsin Amber".  It was the best beer I ever had!

:)

Congratulations...so pleased for you xxx

• izzycohen
    foxhd said:

Way to go Izzy!

Great to hear. I believe in the clinical studies. You willl be monitored closely and if even on the placebo, they will be on top of any changes. However, I would do whatever to be in a study without a placebo. Take care of youself first.

clinical study

I  most likely will participate.  I spoke with a Doctor friend at Shul last night.  He feels that it is a very good thing to participate.  I feel it will be an opportunity to contribute  in the fight against cancer.  It appears there will be personal benefits also.

• izzycohen
    icemantoo said:

May the NED's keep coming

Izzy,

Mazel Tov

Icemantoo

NEDS

Iceman,

clue me in.  What does "NEDS" mean?  I've seen the term several times on this forum.  I think it refers to a clean scan.

thanks for the Mazel Tov.

Izzy

• TillieSOK
    TillieSOK Member Posts: 252

Congratulations!  Mine are

Congratulations!  Mine are next Thursday.

• izzycohen

thank you Michelle

I hope things are going well for you.

Izzy

• izzycohen
    TillieSOK said:

Congratulations!  Mine are

Congratulations!  Mine are next Thursday.

Thinking of you Tillie

Praying that your scans are clear.

Izzy

• cran1
    cran1 Member Posts: 139
    Congrats!

Congrats!

• Alehan
    Alehan Member Posts: 24
    Woo!

Great news! :)

• danbren2
    danbren2 Member Posts: 311
    Congrats Izzy!

So happy for you Izzy! It's a great feeling for all of us when one of us comes back clear!

Love and prayers for continued good health!

Brenda

• todd121
    Everolimus

By the way, not to be picky, but just trying to help with accuracy.

Everolimus was not designed to prevent recurrence of cancer. In fact, it wasn't designed to be a cancer drug at all, at least to my understanding. It was first used and is still mostly used to prevent rejection of transplanted organs like kidneys and hearts. I can't say how or why they decided to try it on kidney cancer, but that came later. It's currently only FDA approved as a kidney cancer treatment after failure of some other drugs like Sutent. It is used for some other cancer (I don't remember which one) and it is also used in some stints to keep blood clots from forming in the stints.

They don't know if it will prevent kidney cancer. That's the purpose of the Everest study: to see if it might delay or prevent recurrence.

Todd